Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you get on the scale months out vs years out?

Can I have a moment of silence for my bathroom scale.

Yesterday, my husband dropped my digital bathroom scale. The glass top shattered. I've had this scale since 2015. It's been by my side throughout the ups and downs of surgery. I have been in the habit of getting on the scale every day. I've tried to weigh myself every two weeks and found that weight gain sneaks up on me.

Now that my scale is gone I'm torn. Is weighing every day healthy or unhealthy at this point? I'm putting it to the test and weighing myself less. I'm trying to trust myself.

How often do you step on the scale months out vs years out?

81AR7xmG5tL._SX522_.jpg

45 minutes ago, Faith2002 said:

For me it’s everyday. Did the same before surgery. I need the accountability. Almost a year out.

Almost your one year anniversary. Celebrate big!

I’m about 6 months out, and I weigh 2-3 times per week but only record it once a week on Monday mornings.

I do my best to weigh on the same day. The first year I wore the same outfit until the weather changed, then I wore the same outfit during the spring/summer. I am two years out now and I still weight once a week now, but I will calculate for my shoes and clothes. I hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, cyberdiva said:

I do my best to weigh on the same day. The first year I wore the same outfit until the weather changed, then I wore the same outfit during the spring/summer. I am two years out now and I still weight once a week now, but I will calculate for my shoes and clothes. I hope this helps.

I should never post when I have had no sleep...No comment for now.

I barely weighted during the losing phase, at 1 yr post I got a scale for maintenance and only check my weight when I feel a gain. (My wrists, don't laugh, tell me first. I have a Bracelet that I never remove or change the set rung, so if it's too I know something is up and I check with the scale next) in the years to come it will be for accountability. I will also measure, take photos and use clothing as guages of recidivism. But none of that for me honestly...

Coincidentally I was in the store Five Below last getting some leggings I and they have digital glass scales for $5...

Edited by GreenTealael

I weigh daily for my three days I am off in a row. My job has me on my feet for so many hours and working nights can be tough to get a good time to weigh.

I am used to the natural fluctuations on the scale now. I only record a loss if my weight is the same for a week now. It is taking me weeks to lose a pound or two unfortunately.

I find weighing at least once a week does help with my accountability.

I weigh daily. As stated above, it keeps me accountable. I only log Mondays though.

I also weigh myself daily each morning as a "pulse check," but only log my Friday morning weight in my tracker.

Eight years out-I weigh once weekly and log it. If my weight goes up two weeks in a row I modify my intake immediately.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Most popular:

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ms.sss

Never thought I would say this, but I think I've lost enough weight.
      My goal was originally 120 lbs, and I think I'm going to stop where I am (127.3 lbs).  I'm about to size myself out of the smallest of sizes of women's clothing and I really don't want to sport a wardrobe from Gap Kids (which, btw, I actually wore this morning...my jacket felt so loose on me and its just a little too cold today to go jacket-less, so I put on the Kid's old windbreaker that she wore 2 years ago: Gap Kids size 12. Seriously.  I'm wearing my kid's hand-me-downs.  What is happening??)
      I don't really understand though why when I was in my 20's, when I weighed less than I do right now, was I actually bigger than I am right now.  I still have clothes that I wore in my 20's that I am swimming in these days *scratches head*.
      ...and since I plan to get some PS done in August, I figure whatever skin they chop off of me will get me down closer to 120 without having to lose any more fat and/or muscle and/or overall bulk.
      Soooooo....now I have to figure out how to do the maintenance thing.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ProudGrammy

home from GA. grand-daughter HS grad - she was the best! are you surprised?!! good to be home and back to you guys - missed you all!! - kathy
      · 0 replies
    • christa_reid

Hi I  am new here and I am going to have the gastric sleeve next month. I have to pay out of pocket so it is going quite quickly. The longer I wait the more bad stories I hear. I weigh 315 and 61 years old so I have a lot to lose. Any advice is welcome
      · 1 reply
      1. ProudGrammy

welcome - hope all went well w/ WLS, and you are feeling good. bad stories stick out in the mind - many many good stuff too - remember those. This is a marathon, not a sprint - i know you'll great!! good luck- kathy

• ProudGrammy

Georgia on my mind - off to grand-daughters high school graduation - she's smart and cute as a button, just like her grammy,☺️
      kathy
      · 2 replies
      1. SusieQ2019

Congratulations to her Proud Granny, and wishing her a bright and successful future.

2. Orchids&Dragons

Congrats to your granddaughter! Have a wonderful trip!

• *Meaghan*

Went to my initial consult with the Bariatric surgeon/ program I chose. Came home with a folder full of information & helpful organization of all the testing that needs to be completed while I complete the required nutritional counseling. She also let me know my insurance typically takes 6 weeks to reply with authorization when submitted, so that puts my potential surgery date near the new year if all stays on track  I felt comfortable with her, in our discussions she agrees that I am a good candidate for the Gastric Bypass. I appreciated the 'introduction' class that was given after the consult with the surgeon where I was given this binder of every referral (from her, not my pcp referrals), & contact information for all the testing needed to make my contacts/calls tomorrow morning even easier I start my nutrition classes on June 5th, so that's when the clock will start toward insurance approval & getting the tool to help me reach my goals
      · 0 replies
  • Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

1. Keto and Bariatric Surgery

Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. Little known facts about losing weight after bariatric surgery

Posted in: Post-Op Support
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    3. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

Posted in: Food & Nutrition