Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sophomoreville - A Home For The the Tweeners

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

About how long is your fast would you say? Also, if you visualized your meal portions by total volume, what do you think your volume is? :D

I would say on average a 18 hr fast, 6 hr eating window. Easy to do at home as long as I'm mentally or physically occupied. Drinking after dinner stretches the non-fasting window during work travel. If there is no drinking then even when traveling I can usually do 18:6 (or is it 6:18?)

I'll fix lunch now. If no one don't judges the craptastic meal I'm making, I'll post it up here! :lol:

9 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I would say on average a 18 hr fast, 6 hr eating window. Easy to do at home as long as I'm mentally or physically occupied. Drinking after dinner stretches the non-fasting window during work travel. If there is no drinking then even when traveling I can usually do 18:6 (or is it 6:18?)

I'll fix lunch now. If no one don't judges the craptastic meal I'm making, I'll post it up here! :lol:

Post! Post! Post! So how much Protein do you think you get in a day and your volume of the food you actually eat. We all know how your B/A's go, Waldo. ;) *snic

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Post! Post! Post! So how much Protein do you think you get in a day and your volume of the food you actually eat. We all know how your B/A's go, Waldo. ;) *snic

Oh, I'm not good with Protein, and I quit logging .... :blush:

Just now, Orchids&Dragons said:

?

Before / Afters. :) Find 5 things different in the picture.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

About how long is your fast would you say? Also, if you visualized your meal portions by total volume, what do you think your volume is? :D

So I've never done the volumetric measurement ... but here you go, visuals

Pasta, corn and cheese sauce

Total volume eaten I'd say between 1/2-3/4 cup? Wanna call it 2/3 cup?

IMG_0888.thumb.jpg.8f148f3fca403322ff561021e360052b.jpg IMG_0889.thumb.jpg.77608572c6fcc7a4a3fd53d0f466aad8.jpg

Obligatory disclaimer - I am not recommending or encouraging any WLS patient to eat pasta, corn and cheese sauce. I realize this is not a wise food choice. But I am in maintenance and testing my boundaries of what I need to do to maintain vs. gain or lose.

14 hours ago, sillykitty said:

So I've never done the volumetric measurement ... but here you go, visuals

Pasta, corn and cheese sauce

Total volume eaten I'd say between 1/2-3/4 cup? Wanna call it 2/3 cup?

IMG_0888.thumb.jpg.8f148f3fca403322ff561021e360052b.jpg IMG_0889.thumb.jpg.77608572c6fcc7a4a3fd53d0f466aad8.jpg

Obligatory disclaimer - I am not recommending or encouraging any WLS patient to eat Pasta, corn and cheese sauce. I realize this is not a wise food choice. But I am in maintenance and testing my boundaries of what I need to do to maintain vs. gain or lose.

Dang! I know she's in Mexico today. Thanks for showing us! And for the disclaimer! bahahahaha! I reckon if you are only eating 1/2-3/4c of food per each of 2-3 meals? You can eat whatever you want! :D Especially when you're at goal girlie!!! Looks yum!

You pays your money, you takes your choice. Even Pope Francis said once " Who am I to judge?"

Man, it is really hard to eat out when someone else is buying. Two meals today, I ate (and enjoyed!) a fraction of the plate but even when your companion knows you’re post-bariatric, it’s hard for them to square enjoyment with “wasted” food/money. I get a take-home bag but old social conditioning hits hard. You’re stuck between making them feel conspicuous if you order far less than they do, or wasting food if you order a regular meal and “barely touch it”.

Very odd that work dinners are easier to navigate than some meals with friends.

@sideeye I eat out often and typically order either an appetizer or small plate. If not available I try to share a meal with my companion which saves money on the check 🙂

For business dinners when sharing isn’t an option, If I do order a full meal, I always ask to be served 1/2 and have the other 1/2 boxed to go when ordering. It avoids questions at the table about how much or little I should say that I’m eating.

My go to at restaurants is sashimi/ahi tuna for an app, or sometimes I just order a side salad, and if small plates are available I choose one high in Protein.

For Breakfast I’ve found Crustless quiche is my favorite when available- or I just order two eggs scrambled off the sides menu.

It is so hard to eat out when you have to buy a full meal for yourself! Ugh! Have y'all come to hate leftovers?

Good lordy! I have found that at many restaurants, if someone is at least ordering 1 meal you can order just the "meat add-on" portion for anything from their salads, pastas, or where you "add 4 shrimp to any steak" or things like that. Then I generally share a salad (couple bites for me) and eat some of the veggies from Mr. F.s plate and I'm done. No leftovers!

But, that takes being able to share with someone close. For breakfast, I just order off the sides menu anymore like Roxine: 2 eggs scrambled or egg whites scrambled with some salsa then I pick at Mr. Fs stuff. :)

But I do also love the idea of finding places that do small plates!! Love those!

9 hours ago, sideeye said:

Man, it is really hard to eat out when someone else is buying. Two meals today, I ate (and enjoyed!) a fraction of the plate but even when your companion knows you’re post-bariatric, it’s hard for them to square enjoyment with “wasted” food/money. I get a take-home bag but old social conditioning hits hard. You’re stuck between making them feel conspicuous if you order far less than they do, or wasting food if you order a regular meal and “barely touch it”.

Very odd that work dinners are easier to navigate than some meals with friends.

I've been making sharing food on good dates seem sexy... Like because I like you so much, I trust you to put your fork in my mouth

With family and friends I literally take a bite and play pass the plate!

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I've been making sharing food on good dates seem sexy...

Amusingly, I read this as "I've been making sharing good food on dates seem sexy", because that's what I'm focused on: eating very small portions of the food I WANT TO EAT without making things all awkward.

4 hours ago, Roxine said:

For Breakfast I’ve found Crustless quiche is my favorite when available- or I just order two eggs scrambled off the sides menu.

The problem isn't picking what I eat, at 9+ months that's down pat - I know what portion and content I need to get, and how those two balance out. But taking the example of diner breakfast, I was out with two friends from out of state. I didn't realize that they'd probably pick up the bill (I drove us all over the place) so when I looked at the menu, I did the exact thing you would - looked at the side of eggs, because if food is fuel that ticks the boxes. But then I thought "No, I really don't want that - what I want is the cinnamon apple pancakes with sausage", knowing full well that I'd be able to eat a few forkfuls of each and a couple sips of coffee, but also knowing we'd linger for a couple hours. So I ordered it, again knowing that I was ordering $10 worth of food and likely to eat $2 of it (we were headed to a hospital after and there would be absolutely no reason to take it to go). What I DIDN'T really clock was that my cash-strapped friend would pick up the bill.

So personally, I am completely fine with either ordering a side or ordering a full meal and only eating the bits I want. But I do notice that it's a little distressing for everyone involved. If I don't order enough, then they get self-conscious about ordering a lot. And if I don't eat the whole thing, the money/food waste kind of crops up. And that's not even getting into the waiters who go into a panic when they have to bring back a nearly-full plate to the kitchen and want an explanation for the chef.

41 minutes ago, sideeye said:

Amusingly, I read this as "I've been making sharing good food on dates seem sexy", because that's what I'm focused on: eating very small portions of the food I WANT TO EAT without making things all awkward.

The problem isn't picking what I eat, at 9+ months that's down pat - I know what portion and content I need to get, and how those two balance out. But taking the example of diner Breakfast, I was out with two friends from out of state. I didn't realize that they'd probably pick up the bill (I drove us all over the place) so when I looked at the menu, I did the exact thing you would - looked at the side of eggs, because if food is fuel that ticks the boxes. But then I thought "No, I really don't want that - what I want is the cinnamon apple pancakes with sausage", knowing full well that I'd be able to eat a few forkfuls of each and a couple sips of coffee, but also knowing we'd linger for a couple hours. So I ordered it, again knowing that I was ordering $10 worth of food and likely to eat $2 of it (we were headed to a hospital after and there would be absolutely no reason to take it to go). What I DIDN'T really clock was that my cash-strapped friend would pick up the bill.

So personally, I am completely fine with either ordering a side or ordering a full meal and only eating the bits I want. But I do notice that it's a little distressing for everyone involved. If I don't order enough, then they get self-conscious about ordering a lot. And if I don't eat the whole thing, the money/food waste kind of crops up. And that's not even getting into the waiters who go into a panic when they have to bring back a nearly-full plate to the kitchen and want an explanation for the chef.

Exactly ^^^ other people become distressed over your eating habits. I've learned to play the game of picking other people's second choices just so they can eat it also. Troubling that my psychology coursework is having real world applications now 😓

You know when you have one of those days that you should play the lottery (I don't play)?!

Well yesterday, I walking down the fish aisle at costco lamenting on how much I miss orange roughy...my favorite fish and the fish that actually made me say that I like fish...which has been over fished and disappeared about 10 years ago. Lo, and behold, orange roughy right before my very eyes... ORANGE ROUGHY!!!

One of those happy moments I will never forget, even if dementia is in my future!!

Lottery score!😊