Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The regain posts

Am I the ONLY one who wasn’t given a diet plan?? I was given a rough caloric intake count and that’s IT. I’m still stuck at 145- but yes I eat mostly anything I want in tiny amounts- except alcohol of course. I always thought people gained weight from alcohol or maybe over stuffing them self? After gastric bypass- so far, there’s no way of eating enough to gain more than 1 lb of Water weight... I know this can change in 5 years?? Also- to break plateau I was thinking of All Liquid Protein and some chicken and lettuce? I cannot go without all sugars and carbs... it makes me crazy ... however I do eat sugar from berries. Now sure what else to try. I can’t digest most animal meats still- so anything Keto just won’t work... too much cheese won’t work either. Too bad people have to be so mean to each other and take things with such a heavy heart... 🤷🏻‍♀️😐💜💜💜

On 07/24/2018 at 18:46, MIZ60 said:

:51_scream::51_scream:---NOOOOOO!!!!! Not that!!!!!!

That is really hysterically funny to me.....sort of like tattling to the teacher. Hope it works out for you :rolleyes:

MIZ... just let it go, people have moved on. It’s enough and it’s uncomfortable for everyone. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, BostonWLKC said:
39 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

:51_scream::51_scream:---NOOOOOO!!!!! Not that!!!!!!

That is really hysterically funny to me.....sort of like tattling to the teacher. Hope it works out for you :rolleyes:

MIZ... just let it go, people have moved on. It’s enough and it’s uncomfortable for everyone. Thanks.

I have let it go....it is people like you that keep massaging it. If you are uncomfortable then find something else to read--that would be the mature, adult thing to do. I do it all the time.

45 minutes ago, SGirl35 said:

Am I the ONLY one who wasn’t given a diet plan?? I was given a rough caloric intake count and that’s IT. I’m still stuck at 145- but yes I eat mostly anything I want in tiny amounts- except alcohol of course. I always thought people gained weight from alcohol or maybe over stuffing them self? After gastric bypass- so far, there’s no way of eating enough to gain more than 1 lb of Water weight... I know this can change in 5 years?? Also- to break plateau I was thinking of All Liquid Protein and some chicken and lettuce? I cannot go without all sugars and carbs... it makes me crazy ... however I do eat sugar from berries. Now sure what else to try. I can’t digest most animal meats still- so anything Keto just won’t work... too much cheese won’t work either. Too bad people have to be so mean to each other and take things with such a heavy heart... 🤷🏻‍♀️😐💜💜💜

No, you are not alone. Actually, at the initial seminar, my surgeon said to never diet again after the pre-op diet. To choose an eating style that you are comfortable with and stick with it and make better choices. I met with the dietitian at the 4 week point as i was going back to solid foods. She gave a lot of suggestions and what to focus on, but there was never any hard set diet plan, for me this is working great and is sustainable long term. It also keeps me from stressing over every little thing and just go on with life and let the weight loss do what it wants :). I meet with her about every 6 weeks or so mainly for accountability. Ultra low carb didn't do well with me. I felt jittery all the time.

No, you are not alone. Actually, at the initial seminar, my surgeon said to never diet again after the pre-op diet. To choose an eating style that you are comfortable with and stick with it and make better choices. I met with the dietitian at the 4 week point as i was going back to solid foods. She gave a lot of suggestions and what to focus on, but there was never any hard set diet plan, for me this is working great and is sustainable long term. It also keeps me from stressing over every little thing and just go on with life and let the weight loss do what it wants [emoji4]. I meet with her about every 6 weeks or so mainly for accountability. Ultra low carb didn't do well with me. I felt jittery all the time.
Do you have Protein requirements or calorie limits?

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

On 07/24/2018 at 19:06, jldoublee said:

No, you are not alone. Actually, at the initial seminar, my surgeon said to never diet again after the pre-op diet. To choose an eating style that you are comfortable with and stick with it and make better choices. I met with the dietitian at the 4 week point as i was going back to solid foods. She gave a lot of suggestions and what to focus on, but there was never any hard set diet plan, for me this is working great and is sustainable long term. It also keeps me from stressing over every little thing and just go on with life and let the weight loss do what it wants :). I meet with her about every 6 weeks or so mainly for accountability. Ultra low carb didn't do well with me. I felt jittery all the time.

Thanks for your input. I’m trusting the process, but would love to lose another 5lbs at minimum to jump start the rest of the slow weight loss... I’m annoyed being completely stagnant after two months.

2 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Do you have Protein requirements or calorie limits?

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

Protein is at least 60 (preferably from "real" food). No calorie limit, her view is that if you focus on protein and eating non-processed food, the rest will fall into place. I've lost a tad over 80 so far with this method and haven't once felt deprived like with say a calorie counting diet. I do stay away from bread, Pasta, and rice though for the time being.

43 minutes ago, jldoublee said:

Protein is at least 60 (preferably from "real" food). No calorie limit, her view is that if you focus on Protein and eating non-processed food, the rest will fall into place. I've lost a tad over 80 so far with this method and haven't once felt deprived like with say a calorie counting diet. I do stay away from bread, Pasta, and rice though for the time being.

I was told the same thing initially until I told my NUT my cal count, she then asked me to lower it. Lol

Lol. Yeah. I actually emailed her today to setup an appointment to make sure I’m not going all cray cray. Lol

11 hours ago, Julie norton said:

We’re still here (11+ years)working our OWN programs. Best of luck to all.

When it comes to these "programs" I sometimes wonder if there are more differences or more commonalities.

On 07/25/2018 at 04:25, summerset said:

When it comes to these "programs" I sometimes wonder if there are more differences or more commonalities.

I must agree with you. My doc to me to eat anything I can digest- maybe eating less heavy carbs- which I don’t eat because I can’t digest them- but that to just stay in a calorie range but to add as many as I burn also... not to be too low. And that was 6 months ago! I wasn’t this low of weight. So.. I’m gonna stop the added sugars and carbs and eat more fresh food and maybe a low sugar Protein Bar for snack and cross fingers! Lol

On 7/24/2018 at 11:29 AM, Tealael said:

A lot of people come here looking for permission their programs won't give them

So. Much. Truth.

Ok so I was wrong on the study but I did actually look up the study and the head researcher who works at Hopkins did a great peice on the Keto diet being a good temporary solution for those with epilepsy. Mind you that’s been around since the 1920s but he does recommend the Mediterranean diet

On 25. Juli 2018 at 10:55 PM, t1018ross said:

So. Much. Truth.

Indeed. However, given the fact how many different "programs" or "rules" or "guidelines" are out there - is it really surprising?

A "program" needs to fit the patient and given the fact that there doesn't seem to be a gold standard it's legitimate to ask around for alternatives. One size fits them all simply doesn't work in the long run. People are too different with too many different needs and different strengths and weaknesses.

Eating and drinking are very important when it comes to quality of life (not only for the obese person, but for every person, so please don't dish out these "food for fuel only" or "eating only to live" speeches now) so it's legitimate to get the best out of eating and drinking in the long run and that might mean looking beyond the edge of the plate your nutritionist has given you.

Given the fact that you don't know if the program you're on is "the best" out there or that you don't even know if the advise your nutritionist gives you is the best for your own situation (there are good and bad nutritionists out there after all with different levels of educarion) I don't think it's a real problem to shop around for different views and opinions, especially if you're struggling. In fact I think it's a "must" to look for alternatives to get you the best quality of life in the long run so you can life the best life possible.

I did this "shopping around" myself when it came to plant based nutrition. That's when I stumbled on Dr. Weiner and his approach. Does the majority of surgeons and nutritionists agree with his mostly plant based approach? I doubt it, but yet - it seems to work for his patients!

On 7/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, Creekimp13 said:

We see them all the time. Hell, maybe we'll write one someday...

OMG, I've regained! What do I do???????

You know what I like to do?

I like to go back in that person's post history and read about their diet habits in the beginning when they were losing....get a feel for what kind of dieter they were.

And I almost always find that the re-gainers....were super strict, super disciplined, never-touch-a-carb, low calorie extremists.

And it kills me...because the advice to these folks is always the same.....get back on your super strict diet! up your protein! don't touch a carb!

And I'm sitting here shaking my head.

Why do people return to what doesn't work? Over and over and over. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Don't mean to just pick on our Ketovangelists....there are plenty of Passive Pollys out there who ate junk constantly, never kept track....and wonder why their weight went back up after the honeymoon.

My point is.....if a particular strategy ends in failure.....why in the world would you return to it? Why encourage someone to return to what didn't work longterm?

if the goal is longterm maintenance....why send them back to another stop-gap measure that fails them in the long run?

Ketovangelists....try something different if extremely low cal and carbs doesn't work long term for you! If you eventually lose your mind and fall off the wagon, maybe the wagon you're on doesn't fit. Try something more moderate so you can stay in control long term.

Passive Pollys....try something different! If a total lack of structure is resulting in your surgery being useless.....add some freaking framework to your diet. Work on healthy limits without going completely overboard. Be accountable.

More and more, I believe an addiction to EXTREMISM is what keeps people fat. So many of these folks are either "I must be in COMPLETE CONTROL"...or "I am helpless against my eating"....there's never any middle ground.

Stop with the extremism.

Knock that shite off.

It's hurting you.

This is my uneducated opinion but I really think a goodly number of us got to where we were because we had an unhealthy relationship to food, i.e. an addiction. Speaking for myself, I definitely had an an unhealthy relationship to food. Being super strict about eating is as bad as overeating as it's swinging the pendulum in the opposite direction. We have lived our lives between two extremes: extreme dieting and extreme overeating. @Creekimp13 is quite correct about learning to live a life in balance.