Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The regain posts

On 7/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, Creekimp13 said:

We see them all the time. Hell, maybe we'll write one someday...

OMG, I've regained! What do I do???????

You know what I like to do?

I like to go back in that person's post history and read about their diet habits in the beginning when they were losing....get a feel for what kind of dieter they were.

And I almost always find that the re-gainers....were super strict, super disciplined, never-touch-a-carb, low calorie extremists.

And it kills me...because the advice to these folks is always the same.....get back on your super strict diet! up your protein! don't touch a carb!

And I'm sitting here shaking my head.

Why do people return to what doesn't work? Over and over and over. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Don't mean to just pick on our Ketovangelists....there are plenty of Passive Pollys out there who ate junk constantly, never kept track....and wonder why their weight went back up after the honeymoon.

My point is.....if a particular strategy ends in failure.....why in the world would you return to it? Why encourage someone to return to what didn't work longterm?

if the goal is longterm maintenance....why send them back to another stop-gap measure that fails them in the long run?

Ketovangelists....try something different if extremely low cal and carbs doesn't work long term for you! If you eventually lose your mind and fall off the wagon, maybe the wagon you're on doesn't fit. Try something more moderate so you can stay in control long term.

Passive Pollys....try something different! If a total lack of structure is resulting in your surgery being useless.....add some freaking framework to your diet. Work on healthy limits without going completely overboard. Be accountable.

More and more, I believe an addiction to EXTREMISM is what keeps people fat. So many of these folks are either "I must be in COMPLETE CONTROL"...or "I am helpless against my eating"....there's never any middle ground.

Stop with the extremism.

Knock that shite off.

It's hurting you.

How many pounds you gained?

personally I gained 6 pounds this months.. although I am doing crossfit and tons of weight trainning.. Maybe 75% of it is muscle and the remaining 25% is fat due bad habits.. but is never to late to come back to track.. how are your food portions like now?

one more thing to ad.. are you watching your macros? Calories in vs calories out? I would do a yo yo diet removing carbs.. people digest carbs faster than others.. just find your balance tho.. really hope you get back at it.. best of luck

Edited by Back2fit

Oh one last thing.. is not only about dieting.. you need to include workouts.. and the forever battle with your deamons.. remeber surgery helps out.. it is only 50%.. the other 50% its on us.. as everything.. make it a habit to workout and watch your calorie intake

On 08/04/2018 at 09:43, Back2fit said:

How many pounds you gained?

personally I gained 6 pounds this months.. although I am doing crossfit and tons of weight trainning.. Maybe 75% of it is muscle and the remaining 25% is fat due bad habits.. but is never to late to come back to track.. how are your food portions like now?

one more thing to ad.. are you watching your macros? Calories in vs calories out? I would do a yo yo diet removing carbs.. people digest carbs faster than others.. just find your balance tho.. really hope you get back at it.. best of luck

She hasn’t regained any, the original poster. She only just reached goal this past week and said goodbye and left the group.

On 28.7.2018 at 2:14 PM, Mattymatt said:

Being super strict about eating is as bad as overeating as it's swinging the pendulum in the opposite direction. We have lived our lives between two extremes: extreme dieting and extreme overeating. @Creekimp13 is quite correct about learning to live a life in balance.

IMO this is true. However, lots of people seem to live in deep fear of this striving for balance, not believing they can ever achieve it because they're absolutely convinced they can't trust their bodies - ever.

Given the fact that so-called experts, Aunt Fanny, the media, various people who think they know what they're talking about etc. fed us their "truth" about obesity, eating disorders, losing weight etc. for so long that it's hard to shed all that "knowledge" and all these "truths" that worsened our problems instead of solving them, this is probably not very surprising.

There are different approaches out there that don't focus on something that feels more like punishment than anything else (I know I'm recommending the books of e. g. Karen Koenig not for the first time here) but fear and maybe other things are holding people back to try something different than "being strict". But then again - I guess it took a long time as well to convince people that the earth is not flat and that the sun is not moving around the earth...

Edited by summerset

I will say this... what worked FOR ME was staying very strict until I had changed my habits, my tastes and my gut bacteria. At that point I could aim for balance. But at that point I could have half a cookie or a few French fries without wanting the whole thing or bag. I also never felt deprived when I was strict. And I’m still pretty strict mostly because I don’t care so much... I really don’t care if I have bread or Pasta or whatever. So for me that IS balance. If I don’t care, why add it in? Balance means different things to different people.

However I think it would have been a huge mistake (again, FOR ME) to attempt “balance” too early out. I needed to relearn and retrain n myself.

On 08/10/2018 at 19:56, GreenTealael said:

Oh I trust my body, I don't trust bread and Pasta in my body... I can live without it

I’m with you! Didn’t meet a carb I didn’t like. Not a good idea for me lol

Don't touch a carb? My nutritionist is going bonkers because my carbs are very low.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

I don’t touch the bad carbs- or white breads , Pasta, white potatoes etc. i get carbs from healthier items but it’s under 30g

14 hours ago, jess9395 said:

I will say this... what worked FOR ME was staying very strict until I had changed my habits, my tastes and my gut bacteria. At that point I could aim for balance. But at that point I could have half a cookie or a few French fries without wanting the whole thing or bag. I also never felt deprived when I was strict. And I’m still pretty strict mostly because I don’t care so much... I really don’t care if I have bread or Pasta or whatever. So for me that IS balance. If I don’t care, why add it in? Balance means different things to different people.

However I think it would have been a huge mistake (again, FOR ME) to attempt “balance” too early out. I needed to relearn and retrain n myself.

This is great.

Balance DOES mean different things to different people. Just as no 1-size-fits-all-diet will suit everyone. There's so much that goes into play when figuring out what formula works specifically to meet your needs.

What I have the biggest issue with is being told that "my personal way" is wrong. It may certainly be wrong for you. But I can assure that if it didn't work well and comfortably for ME, I'd be the first person in there hacking it to find a better fit. I DO focus intently on my menus. So what? I like it. It works for me. :) I'm a happy little loser exceeding the average outcomes and feeling good physically, emotionally, spiritually. So for ME, that IS balance.

I love my meals. I look forward to them. I still get joy from food. I find I crave lean meants and veggies and although I don't do Dr. Weiner or the mayo Clinic Diet, or Dr. V's or Dr. Davis' plant based diets, I still manage to get my 74g Protein in + 3/4-1lb of low glycemic veggies + a small amount of healthy fats + an even smaller amount of berries in daily. And I thrive on that. I CRAVE it.

Do I have a meal (not days) where I eat something that is higher carb? Sure. It's about 1% of my diet. No big deal.

I don't seek to actively add gut flora in via grains, legumes, and massive fructose bombs of fruit? Nope, the flora just happens. I also love lacto-fermented veg so why not include those as Condiments. Again, I think of that as balance.

We all have a unique fulcrum that balances the teeter totter.

Edited by FluffyChix

Is there a reason you seem belligerent and angry. Seems a happy pill might help you out if other opinions upset you so

Every one seems to miss the point of this site. NO BODY HERE has known what to do to be healthy or they would have not (regardless of research) needed WLS. part of this journey is to win and loose as we step up the ladder of what works for us individually. So get off the high horses abs agree we need each other’s story to help with the journey without owning the judgement. Good luck to all of us not eating crow in 1-2 years down the road.

My above 3 comments are for they The original person who started this thread creekimp13

On 08/11/2018 at 10:40, clsumrall said:

My above 3 comments are for they The original person who started this thread creekimp13
Sadly she reached goal and left with an announcement that basically said those of us who were at goal and didn’t leave have no life. Ah well!

Well the truth will speak for itself. Right. Hoped that she would get on some meds that will make her feel Less negative