Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I regret this surgery

I wont baby you. All i did was tell you what you already know and what your doctor SHOULDVE explained to you before the surgery. You are three weeks out, on here commenting that your life is over and everything is ruined....after THREE WEEKS.

What you should be doing is focusing on your program:
Drink water
Eat popsicles or Jello
Get lots of rest
find something to engage your mind - and keep you from dwelling on these depressive thoughts you described here
start working on Protein intake to meet that goal

You can worry about your friends and your old life and doing all the things from a social aspect later.

This isnt a Jerky comment....this is providing you an ANSWER to help your original question, but you dont want to hear it so you take offense.

Save the bullying for someone else. Nobody needs you to attempt to prove your manhood here by picking on someone who is vulnerable and looking for support.

On June 12, 2017 I had my gallbladder removed, my lapband removed and revised to an RNY.

HW: 402, SW 306, CW 257, GW 185

3 hours ago, ProfessorSlim said:

I am pre-op, and very excited/pumped to get this done and start my new life, all fit and slim and stuff like that. Seeing your post opened my eyes to really prepping for and fully realizing the roller coaster it might be. I should be getting my sleeve surgery late Oct or early November, so by then you'll probably be all good, and ready to help people like me that are newly post-op. Hang in there!!

Also, I'm just here to say, damn, you generated a 20 page thread!!

Just keep in mind that the surgery is a tool. It can take you to a place where it is easier for you to do the work needed to be done, but in the end, you must do that work. I know this will be said by people smarter and more articulate than I, and it may sound pedantic, but it bears repeating. Yes, the surgery isn't all roses. I got my clearance today to advance to the soft foods stage of my diet and it was kind of embarrassing having my lunch (which consisted of baked chicken) come up. I know why it likely happened (I ate a bit too fast) but it is still embarrassing all the same and it is crucial that we remember that our habits must change after surgery as well.

One of my goals with the surgery is to look good naked. But I'm not going to touch that goal if I don't make a plan on how to ramp up my exercise once my surgeon says yes. Tonight, I resumed skating with my roller derby league... but as a non-skating official (a referee) in our league's internal bouts. I think it would be best for me to wait four more weeks before I return to the full contact in the rink... but that's the decision I'm making. I'm being more conservative than my surgeon (he seems pretty confident that I could resume being a skater, even knowing this is a contact sport) but it is my body and I will live with the consequences.

The TL;DR (too long; didn't read) version? Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

3 minutes ago, Abeille213 said:

If you haven't had the surgery then you have absolutely no clue what it's like or how difficult it is or how hormones are raging post surgery. How dare you chastise her extremely legitimate feelings. In fact, the majority of patients have "buyers remorse" shortly after surgery when things are chaotic. Perhaps your horrible and cruel attitude toward others people has something to do with the fact that you haven't been blessed with this surgery. Maybe you simply don't deserve the opportunity.

On June 12, 2017 I had my gallbladder removed, my lapband removed and revised to an RNY.

HW: 402, SW 306, CW 264, GW 185

How dare you chastise this poster? Sure, people who have not had the surgery may not have perspective but lots of us lack perspective in lots of areas in life! Some people, after getting fit, may contribute to the culture which stigmatises fat bodies - thereby engaging in a loss of perspective. The post you quoted is neither horrible nor cruel, just misguided.

15 minutes ago, Abeille213 said:

Save the bullying for someone else. Nobody needs you to attempt to prove your manhood here by picking on someone who is vulnerable and looking for support.

That's not bullying, @jaminator gave some pretty sound advice. We all have our ups and downs, our highs and lows. Hell, my emotions could come crashing down tomorrow. This is why I've set myself up with resources. I have two therapist appointments set up for this month (the first being tomorrow), my therapist's practice has a walk-in clinic I can access if need be, I have access to my GP, and I have a nurse line I can phone at the surgeon's office. I prepared for this surgery because I knew I was going to have it and my surgeon, his office, and the staff at the UCHealth Bariatric Centre of the Rockies properly prepared me for this surgery.

But even if they didn't, it's still my responsibility to know. Even if they just told me what I needed to do to satisfy the insurance requirements and sent me on my way, it's still my responsibility to educate myself on what I'm about to do. I have been on this forum for over a year despite having had my surgery almost two weeks ago and this isn't by accident. I wanted to make sure I had multiple perspectives on what could go wrong; I took notes; I asked my surgeon, GP, and dietician questions; and I formulated a general plan as to how I would live after I got out of the hospital. That plan is subject to change, but I did plan.

Edited by Véronique

I will say I was naive about how difficult this surgery would be.
I thought I had prepared myself mentally and I was wrong.
I am 11 days out.
I have lost my oldest friend, my oldest source of comfort, my oldest drug of choice.
I know this surgery had to be done, my health was failing and my quality of life was pretty low.
But I do agree this surgery is way more difficult than I thought it would be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Stop-it you're feeling sorry for yourself.. You have an opportunity to be the biggest success of your life-time.. Instead you sound like a pathetic addict. Yes a food addiction addict.. Wise up or people will blv you're a failure seeking attention which may be why you elected to have the surgery in the first place.. A psychology evaluation seems to be in order.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

"A food addiction addict". Hahahaha. Redundant, much? That's like saying, "an alcoholism alcoholic".

By the way, addicts aren't "pathetic". There are many, many studies that prove beyond reproach that addiction is a disease just like cancer or diabetes. People like yourself who insult addicts are the truly pathetic ones.

Tell me something, genius. Where did you get your psychology degree? I assume you have one since you're playing armchair psychologist and pretending you're qualified to make these statements.

As someone who does have bachelor's and master's degrees in psychology and will be finishing up my doctorate soon, I actually am qualified to diagnose and treat. I can see clearly that you're a rude, lonely, bitter, uneducated, uninformed, judgmental idiot who thinks they know it all, but actually knows nothing. I'm also guessing you're probably quite old, which likely contributed to your bitterness. Bummer.

1 minute ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

I am 11 days out.
I have lost my oldest friend, my oldest source of comfort, my oldest drug of choice.
I know this surgery had to be done, my health was failing and my quality of life was pretty low.

When I was waiting at the transit centre after my follow-up appointment with the surgeon, there is this snack bar with all sorts of junk food and when I saw a can of Dr. Pepper, my thought was "I'm so going to miss that".

8 minutes ago, Abeille213 said:

"A food addiction addict". Hahahaha. Redundant, much? That's like saying, "an alcoholism alcoholic".

By the way, addicts aren't "pathetic". There are many, many studies that prove beyond reproach that addiction is a disease just like cancer or diabetes. People like yourself who insult addicts are the truly pathetic ones.

Tell me something, genius. Where did you get your psychology degree? I assume you have one since you're playing armchair psychologist and pretending you're qualified to make these statements.

As someone who does have bachelor's and master's degrees in psychology and will be finishing up my doctorate soon, I actually am qualified to diagnose and treat. I can see clearly that you're a rude, lonely, bitter, uneducated, uninformed, judgmental idiot who thinks they know it all, but actually knows nothing. I'm also guessing you're probably quite old, which likely contributed to your bitterness. Bummer.

I'd say that to a certain extent, addicts are pathetic based on the definition of the word. There's a reason why terminology such as "rock bottom" and "lowest point" are used in so many stories about and by addicts. Maybe addiction is a disease, but we don't catch it without our own behaviour being a catalyst. We all came here via different paths, but I'll say my eating habits had hit a point where they became unsustainable and I made a choice to change that. To varying degrees, we all have or are about to.

The way you are behaving here and now, I think you're projecting. As someone with a doctorate, one thing I've learned in the process of getting it is humility. The specialization of research and the breadth and depth of what we already know is fundamentally astounding and as someone with her doctorate, I stand in awe at how much I don't know. However, I know that just because someone has come to a different conclusion than me doesn't make them "rude, lonely, bitter, uneducated, uninformed, judgmental[, or idiots]".

Edited by Véronique

How dare you chastise this poster? Sure, people who have not had the surgery may not have perspective but lots of us lack perspective in lots of areas in life! Some people, after getting fit, may contribute to the culture which stigmatises fat bodies - thereby engaging in a loss of perspective. The post you quoted is neither horrible nor cruel, just misguided.

Unless you're a licensed mental health therapist like myself then spare me the asinine armchair psychologist crap. I prefer to deal with actual professionals in my field rather than some internet troll looking for attention.

That's not bullying, [mention=315764]jaminator[/mention] gave some pretty sound advice. We all have our ups and downs, our highs and lows. Hell, my emotions could come crashing down tomorrow. This is why I've set myself up with resources. I have two therapist appointments set up for this month (the first being tomorrow), my therapist's practice has a walk-in clinic I can access if need be, I have access to my GP, and I have a nurse line I can phone at the surgeon's office. I prepared for this surgery because I knew I was going to have it and my surgeon, his office, and the staff at the UCHealth Bariatric Centre of the Rockies properly prepared me for this surgery.
But even if they didn't, it's still my responsibility to know. Even if they just told me what I needed to do to satisfy the insurance requirements and sent me on my way, it's still my responsibility to educate myself on what I'm about to do. I have been on this forum for over a year despite having had my surgery almost two weeks ago and this isn't by accident. I wanted to make sure I had multiple perspectives on what could go wrong; I took notes; I asked my surgeon, GP, and dietician questions; and I formulated a general plan as to how I would live after I got out of the hospital. That plan is subject to change, but I did plan.

Hah. Well, at least you have a therapist on call. It certainly seems you need one. I mean, after all, your emotions "could come crashing down tomorrow".

1 minute ago, Abeille213 said:

Unless you're a licensed mental health therapist like myself then spare me the asinine armchair psychologist crap. I prefer to deal with actual professionals in my field rather than some internet troll looking for attention.

If you prefer to deal with actual professionals in your field, then why not join a forum where they require you to be a professional in your field instead of slumming it here with the laity, oh miss high and mighty?

If you prefer to deal with actual professionals in your field, then why not join a forum where they require you to be a professional in your field instead of slumming it here with the laity, oh miss high and mighty?

I am a member of that type of forum, actually. However, since you don't seem to have grasped this part, I'll break it down for you.

When discussing psychological issues, I prefer to deal with my equals who are fellow professionals in the field as opposed to someone who has zero education in the field and is clearly ignorant of psychology, yet still posts online as if they are an expert on the topic.

Maybe that cleared things up for you... though I very much doubt it.

18 minutes ago, Abeille213 said:

I am a member of that type of forum, actually. However, since you don't seem to have grasped this part, I'll break it down for you.

When discussing psychological issues, I prefer to deal with my equals who are fellow professionals in the field as opposed to someone who has zero education in the field and is clearly ignorant of psychology, yet still posts online as if they are an expert on the topic.

Maybe that cleared things up for you... though I very much doubt it.

I would say that you don't as you entered this thread of your own free will. If you "prefer to deal with my equals who are fellow professionals in the field", then your actions seem to contradict that. Furthermore, your desire to talk down to those who you perceive as having less knowledge than you makes me wonder about the academic rigour involved in your degree programmes.

I may not be an expert on psychology, this is true. But I am an expert at working with professionals across disciplines to achieve common research goals. I have worked with biologists, chemists, anthropologists, historians, endocrinologists, and zoologists and one thing I've noticed is that the ones who tend to have the most bluster and ego are the ones who have the poorest quality of research. The ones who keep an open mind, who are willing to look at an issue from all sides, the ones with empathy towards their subject and their fellow man... THOSE are the people who do the quality research. My hypothesis is because they have an open mind, they are more able to see the results clearly and not try to justify away failures or get angry when they are disproven.

Wow. You're still unable to understand such a basic concept. Let's try this one more time. I did not say I prefer to only interact with colleagues. I said, when discussing the subject of psychology, I prefer to only interact with colleagues. So, no, there is no contradiction here. Is that really so difficult for you to grasp? 😂😂

As for the quality of my academic programs, one of them was at a top rated university and the other was any Ivy League university. But feel free to contunuing arguing the quality of my education. Lol

As for looking down on anyone, I simply called you out for attempting to insert yourself into and comment regarding a profession you clearly know nothing about. Now here you are stalking me ad nauseum with your inane banter. It's pathetic. I would definitely recommend taking advantage of that on call psychotherapist you claim to have, as you seem to be very much in the midst of a manic breakdown. Now, be gone... stop begging me for the attention and recognition you so desperately crave--even from strangers on the internet.

5 hours ago, Abeille213 said:

As for the quality of my academic programs, one of them was at a top rated university and the other was any Ivy League university. But feel free to contunuing arguing the quality of my education. Lol

Wow, you have only been on the forum since April and have shown yourself to be a real charmer. Has there been a thread that you have participated where you did not call someone a bully, cruel, or mention your profession? I do question the quality of someones education that is allegedly approaching a doctorate in psychology yet had to resort to surgery to correct a psychological problem.

Why didn't you interact with your colleagues in regards to your food addiction? I don't usually defend forum members, but Véronique is nothing but supportive in the threads I have read. However; you attacking her, or trying to make an example of her, so that no one dare question you is a jerk move.

I am 11 days out.

I am with you on this! Gonna miss my ol' buddy Taco Bell.

Skinny is coming.