Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I regret this surgery

I'm a week and a half post-op, everyone I've spoken to talks about the regret stage. It lasts longer for some than it does for others so you're not alone in the way you feel right now. My friend's wife is five years out and she eats what she used to (in moderation) but has found low carb alternatives to what she used to enjoy regularly. You can do this.

I am 3years post op. I had the same thoughts you did. Like wtf did I do to myself. I felt like I was slowly killing my self because the struggle to eat and drink was real!!! Week by week went by and things would improve swelling would go down. You are really swollen still inside. My doctor told me don't worry about hitting these certain goals. He really cared about at least drinking. Not Protein and Vitamins even. He just wanted me to stay hydrated. The rest comes later when the swelling goes down and you heal more. You will feel like a normal human being who enjoys food again. I have no restrictions on food. A few things bother me if I eat or drink it but that's ok I shouldn't have them anyway. Soda... bad, it's rare I have it but if I do it's only a little cuz the carbonation bothers me. Ice cream, too much makes me not feel good at all. But other than those I eat like I normally would. Try to make good choices and just eat a lot less than I did. It's the best damn thing I ever did and once you feel good again and see the results you will feel the same way. Hang in there!!!! It gets much better and you can enjoy food with friends again. Take advantage of this 6-9 month period where you are really restricted and ca n easily melt the weight off.

I can understand your feeling you made a mistake, but it will get better. I had the sleeve 7 weeks ago and I have benefited so much. I am 63 so being younger would be harder and make you feel like you are loosing out. It will be worth it as you will not develop illness related to being overweight. At 3 weeks you might not feel that good and the drinking so often in small amounts is tiring. If you stick with it, you will be happy. Things get easier and food restrictions get better. I just want to encourage you to hang on and keep following the diet.

They have support Group for people for people that have had the surgery and it is a good place to get encouragement and emotional support. I go to a group and talking to people who have gone thru the same thing is so helpful. Hope this helps you.

I am on week 3 post op and I feel like I made the biggest mistake in my life. I'm reading how my favorite foods is a no go and I'll never eat it in my life again. Here I am struggling to meet my goal of Protein and Water. I can't enjoy life with my friends. I'm over this sleeve people who wants to get it I tell them don't. I'm trying to find the beauty in all this but right now I feel like I ruined my life.
Tiffani[emoji1528][emoji757]️[emoji175]

Aww honey I totally remember feeling the way you did. Those feelings will go away as you heal, I promise and you will feel "normal" again in time.

Understand this... your stomach is extremely swollen due to the surgery, as you slowly heal and can start introducing real foods, you're not going to be able to eat more than a few bites. It takes about a year for the swelling to go down to the point where you can eat a somewhat normal but "small" sized amount. I'm somewhere around 15 months out and I can eat about 2-3 cups of food depending on the texture. I can eat all of the same things I did before surgery, I just can't binge like I did pre-op because it is very uncomfortable. I can sip soda, I can use straws.

The only major differences pre-op versus where I am now are that my stomach makes a lot of noise after drinking/eating and I have a hard time taking shots of liquor because I feel like I have a weaker stomach.

Any cravings you have at this point for food are really all mental. I was craving something salty, I'd make Soup or broth. If I was craving something sweet, I'd drink a Protein Shake, or make some pudding with Protein Powder, etc. if i needed something crunchy, I'd chew it up and spit it out (be careful if you decide to do that).

To be honest, it took me about 6 weeks before I could get in over 30g of protein in a day. The biggest thing you need to focus on right now is liquids. Dehydration is no joke! It will make you feel a million times worse. Once you are getting enough liquids in, then focus on getting all of your protein.

Try to start or get back into a fitness routine as soon as you can. It's is important to start early, it's a lot harder to start when you're further out. That is one of my biggest regrets. Also, try not to listen to everything you read online lol including me. Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of good information out there, but a lot of it is subjective. Everyone is different and everyone handles foods differently. Listen to your body.

Sorry for the tl;dr I just wanted to give you some advice based on my experience. Best of luck to you, just hang in there and sip sip sip.

When does the regret stage hit? I'm wondering if I got to skip out, I'm a month out tomorrow and don't feel any regret. I'm also dealing with incisions that have reopened and having to scrub them out while I shower with a toothbrush 🤢 I feel grossed out by it but not regret. No tears here thankfully.

No, it's not easy and you'll learn to adjust to your own life as you go. I'm 2 yrs post o.o and I eat pretty much anything I want, slowly and in moderation. I know too much sugar gives me stomachs pains so if I'm craving sweets, I have just enough to stop the craving. The trick is to not overindulge. It'll get better, I pronise!

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

It's a lifestyle change. Not a quick fix. My gastric sleeve was January 25th. I've lost 103lbs.. with procedure they explain how your taste and prior desire of food may change. You have went through a big decision for you and your quality of life. Have to take it one day at a time..

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

I can sympathize with this feeling you have. At 3 weeks post, that is pretty much how I felt too. I couldn't eat anything... And just ONE BITE more than I should and I would be so sick!

Its been 6 months now, and I can honestly say, its gotten so much better. I'm eating between 1000, to 1200 calories a day. Small portions, but pretty much whatever I want. I avoid GREASY like the plague, but otherwise, I do pretty well.

I cried for the first few months quite often. It HURT to eat. I would almost survive on the Protein Shakes rather than try to eat. It was so slow going, I thought it would NEVER be any better.

This will get better. Believe me. Right now, just allow that your tummy is still healing. It takes a while. But you will be OK. I promise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am on week 3 post op and I feel like I made the biggest mistake in my life. I'm reading how my favorite foods is a no go and I'll never eat it in my life again. Here I am struggling to meet my goal of Protein and Water. I can't enjoy life with my friends. I'm over this sleeve people who wants to get it I tell them don't. I'm trying to find the beauty in all this but right now I feel like I ruined my life.
Tiffani[emoji1528][emoji757]️[emoji175]

You sound overwhelmed and frustrated. In addition to the physiological changes you can go through some psychological stuff - depression, irritability, etc. Maybe you're experiencing some of that. Do you have anyone to talk to IRL? Hopefully that would help.
I'm 11 days out it's challenging for me right now also - I'm def feeling irritable some days. I hope you feel better soon.

I get the frustration & your feelings Queen Tiff. I'm 3mos post op. I went to Walmart & got all their Great Value drink mix flavors, which are exactly like Crystal Light but they cost less & you get more. I have Fudgsicles, Creamsicles & Popsicles, which maybe have 5 gms of sugar at most. I learned it's better to begin the day with broth & then have your Protein Shake. I have SF/NF puddings & jellos. I flavor my shakes w the flavored drinks, jellos & puddings. I consistently drink my flavored drinks daily to ensure I'm getting 90 oz daily. I've lost 55lbs. I walk 2.5 miles or more every day & evening. We all get discouraged, you're not alone. I can eat an egg, putting a little cheese in it to make an omelet. Our stomachs are the size of an egg. I want to inhale it, but have learned to eat w a baby spoon/fork & make that sucker last so it doesn't come back up. I have had Wor Wonton Soup, but only get the shrimp in it & not the chicken or pork. It lasts a few days, but it's so good. I make shrimp w broccoli & I buy the Jumbo shrimp & cook it all in chicken broth. I can eat 3 Jumbo shrimps now. I can eat a half of a chicken drumstick, which I bake. I'm a chef & know how to season food & how to pair Proteins & veggies. I make a great spinach Tomato Florentine soup. I can't tolerate much dairy, but can have it if it's NF. Hope my post helps you, I assure you you're not alone & am glad you began this dialog. You're going to be so happy w yourself when you get rid of your fat clothes bc they slide off you. I'm a roomy size 8 & I still have more weight & inches to lose. Be proud of your healthy weight loss journey & know that you will be able to eat foods you love again. MT

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BariatricPal mobile app

First off.. STOP, BREATHE.. RELAX... okay.. Ready.. I'm going to be as real (and nice) with you as I can.. I'm not saying I'm a veteran but I am almost two years out, and hit my goal on my 1 year mark, and have maintained...
It gets easier!!! Stop living in the past and start living for your future.. Yes, its scary that world (past) you know so well, your comfortable with it. This new journey is scary and unknown. But I promise you its a better life.. With that being said, we HAVE to remember this tool isn't a fix all, miracle worker. You dont get it and all of a sudden your urges go away. NOT EVEN close, its a constant battle, choosing not to go back, choosing the better life style.. You're friends who truly love/care about you will get it, you guys can find new ways to have fun that doesn't revolve around food. And if they aren't willing to change or meet you half way, are they really you're friends again...
On to the "foods" you can NEVER have again.. I was told no carbonation so soda, energy drinks ect... But really after time you don't even want those no more. For me carbonation hurts, but if I want a coke I will open it. let it sit out, go flat then have a drink or two.. I see go to bars and drink.. I will have vodka with Water, and bring my own crystal light, or on fun occasions I with have an Angry Orchard, its very lightly carbonated so it doesn't hurt.. However, you will feel the effect of drinking faster.. Lol so bound bc bar tap will be lower..
There is beauty in it, you just have to go through the dark phase to see the light... Don't ever doubt your decision, on bettering your life. You know its worth it, by how hard it is.. [emoji7][emoji7][emoji8]

Hw-225
Sw-215
Cw/Gw 125

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app