Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

9 hours ago, Newme17 said:

Guess so! I had a friend who went vegan (for the animal aspect) about 8 years ago. She had lentil Soup so much during our lunches and I could never understand why she enjoyed them so much. Lol. Now that I've learned to make different lentil dishes, I too, am enjoying them. She ended up moving and we lost contact...I'd have to bet that she's still eating vegan. She also does long distance cycling, which she took up while we were both at the gym. I can now understand where she got all of her energy from!!! Lol. Makes me wonder how she is...she's 48 now and lives in Houston (🙁). Hope she is well.

That's too bad you lost contact. Maybe your paths will cross again some day. I am full of energy these days. Since I am off today I am going to take advantage and go to the park and get another run in.

Ok, so I did some quick research on heme vs non-heme Iron, and it's true you don't need heme iron.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/#h2

According to this website, a vegetarian menstruating female needs to consume 32mg of iron a day. That would take 4 cups (24oz) of canned white Beans (the best source of iron in vegetable foods on the chart). I don't know about y'all, but that would take me about 6 meals of just white beans to accomplish! Lol!

Compare that to a non-vegetarian menstruating female needs only 18mg a day, accomplished by eating 3.5oz of pan fried chicken liver plus 1/2 cup spinach a day.

I really like this page:

http://www.sheilakealey.com/sports-nutrition/iron/

BUT, who is eating 3.5oz chicken liver every day? Lol! Just take your iron pills, or eat your fortified Cereal, and go about your merry way ;)

9 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Just take your Iron pills, or eat your fortified Cereal, and go about your merry way

Thank God for supplements!!! Lol. Hey, I'm glad you brought up the Vitamins, etc that could result in deficiencies, because my husband has been doing WFPB with me and I totally forgot to have him taking b12!!!! So I gave him one this morning. 😊 I feel so much better now. I'll be going to the store to get him his own today.

24 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Thank God for supplements!!! Lol. Hey, I'm glad you brought up the Vitamins, etc that could result in deficiencies, because my husband has been doing WFPB with me and I totally forgot to have him taking b12!!!! So I gave him one this morning. 😊 I feel so much better now. I'll be going to the store to get him his own today.

The liver store enough B12 to last quite awhile. I have forgotten how long but it was months. So he is probably fine. I am going to pick some up too. Just in case.

1 hour ago, Newme17 said:

I honestly don't know what to make of these claims..

But if you just look at Iron intake from meat, it’s associated with significantly higher risk for heart disease. This is thought to be because iron can act as a pro-oxidant contributing to the development of atherosclerosis by oxidizing cholesterol with free radicals. The risk has been quantified as a 27% increase in coronary heart disease risk for every one milligram of heme iron consumed daily.

From the various sources I just took a gander at.. iron is iron, whether it is heme or not. We do absorb heme iron better (about 10% more effectively than non-heme iron). Someone said that our bodies can select to absorb the non-heme iron, whereas heme-iron gets absorbed, regardless. When we're talking 10%, that isn't a big deal.

So then I was thinking.. those people that have the condition of absorbing too much iron from foods (hemochromatosis).. (they absorb 100% instead of the typical 30%).. those people will show what too much iron will do!!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20167290

• Heart problems. Excess iron in your heart affects the heart's ability to circulate enough blood for your body's needs. This is called congestive heart failure. Hemochromatosis can also cause abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias).

Ok, so we have two sources that agree that the heart may be affected.

But, upon further research, I'm not finding a link between Dr. Greger's "coronary heart disease" (which is specifically due to build-up of plaques in the vascular system) and the congestive heart failure caused by hemochromatosis. According to the next website, the iron actually builds up in the heart muscle itself, causing the arrhythmias and eventual failure, rather than from a buildup of plaques in the arteries.

http://www.cardiomyopathy.org/about-cardiomyopathy/haemochromatosis-and-cardiomyopathy

But, if it makes you feel better, iron supplements are non-heme sources.. so no worries! Lol.

2 hours ago, Berry78 said:

I honestly don't know what to make of these claims..

From the various sources I just took a gander at.. Iron is iron, whether it is heme or not. We do absorb heme iron better (about 10% more effectively than non-heme iron). Someone said that our bodies can select to absorb the non-heme iron, whereas heme-iron gets absorbed, regardless. When we're talking 10%, that isn't a big deal.

So then I was thinking.. those people that have the condition of absorbing too much iron from foods (hemochromatosis).. (they absorb 100% instead of the typical 30%).. those people will show what too much iron will do!!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20167290

Ok, so we have two sources that agree that the heart may be affected.

But, upon further research, I'm not finding a link between Dr. Greger's "coronary heart disease" (which is specifically due to build-up of plaques in the vascular system) and the congestive heart failure caused by hemochromatosis. According to the next website, the iron actually builds up in the heart muscle itself, causing the arrhythmias and eventual failure, rather than from a buildup of plaques in the arteries.

http://www.cardiomyopathy.org/about-cardiomyopathy/haemochromatosis-and-cardiomyopathy

But, if it makes you feel better, iron supplements are non-heme sources.. so no worries! Lol.

Dr. Greger does list the sources he sited in the video if you are interested in researching further. For me the take home message is that the iron found in plants, seeds, and nuts is good. We should definitely get our blood work done regularly as WLS patients so any deficiency found can be corrected with supplements if need be.

Monster muffins (sweet spinach), vegan Breakfast oat bars, sweet potato banana bites (vegetarian), and oatmeal energy balls....just some things on the menu today. My house smells wonderful!!!!

For dinner I'm making spicy black bean nachos.

I feel like I should be barefoot and pregnant lol I'll be in the kitchen most all day today.

4 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Monster muffins (sweet spinach), vegan Breakfast oat bars, sweet potato banana bites (vegetarian), and oatmeal energy balls....just some things on the menu today. My house smells wonderful!!!!

For dinner I'm making spicy black bean nachos.

I feel like I should be barefoot and pregnant lol I'll be in the kitchen most all day today.

Can I come over? lol...

I am making the tofu parmesean receipe for dinner that I posted earlier this week. I'll post photos later. I hope it turns out ok. This will be my first try at a tofu dish.

21 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

Can I come over? lol...

I am making the tofu parmesean receipe for dinner that I posted earlier this week. I'll post photos later. I hope it turns out ok. This will be my first try at a tofu dish.

You sure can...just run yourself down. Haha!

Please do share! I want to hear and see how it turns out.

5 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

You sure can...just run yourself down. Haha!

Please do share! I want to hear and see how it turns out.

Too bad you are like 6-7 states away depending on the route..lol..

15 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

Too bad you are like 6-7 states away depending on the route..lol..

You can get through the first 5-6 easily. Once you hit Texas, it'll be a whole day's worth of traveling. 😂

Ok here are the photos for the tofu dish. I took some as I was fixing it. I did use real cheese, but organic from pasture cows. I couldn't find any of the good vegan cheeses. I followed the recommendation of reviewers and froze the tofu for a few hours before cooking. I did not fry the tofu I baked it with an olive oil sprayed pan. I used some spinach in between layers. t was delicious 😋 my dh had seconds😃

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

48 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

Ok here are the photos for the tofu dish. I took some as I was fixing it. I did use real cheese, but organic from pasture cows. I couldn't find any of the good vegan cheeses. I followed the recommendation of reviewers and froze the tofu for a few hours before cooking. I did not fry the tofu I baked it with an olive oil sprayed pan. I used some spinach in between layers. t was delicious 😋 my dh had seconds😃

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

This looks sooooo good. I'm going to try it out myself!

Here is the spicy black bean nacho dinner. I ate maybe four chips of it. Very good too.

IMG_3335.JPG

Hubby and 12 year old polished it off....

image.thumb.jpg.7850eb5ab9a0e9ee69b053674d7aa370.jpg