Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

I found a place about a 30 minute drive from my work that uses what they call a bodpod to scan you. It isn't cheap though. It will cost me about $130 for the scan and RMR testing. I am thinking about having done though. I am going to talk to my dh and see what he says.

You might check out a college, sometimes they have testing available for their physio majors.. might be cheaper than a private practice. (I need to check into it too!)

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

You might check out a college, sometimes they have testing available for their physio majors.. might be cheaper than a private practice. (I need to check into it too!)

I did check around and I found one University offering this type of service. The cost was $15 more and it was further away. So I booked my appointment this morning For 8/31. I am excited to find out just how much lean muscle versus fat my body has and my RMR.

Cool! I look forward to hearing what you learn!! Gosh, I didn't realize it would be so much $$.. I'll have to save up to get it done for me ;)

I used to run the DEXA at an office I worked at, it's fascinating! There is one nearish to me that specializes in body comp (many places just do bone density). Here it is if anyone is in the DC area: https://www.compositionid.com/services/dexa-scan/

I really want to do it!

I am on chapter 14 of "How Not To Die" by Dr. Michael Greger.

I don't understand why more people are not eating a whole foods plant based diet. I know if you really wanted to tear apart the research and find flaws you could, but the weight of the evidence is so clear. The health benefits are so many, with almost zero negative side effects. Keep an eye on your B-12 and Iron and that is about it. The incidence of Protein deficiency in this country is almost nil so that isn't an issue at all. I wish I had paid more attention to this when I was younger. I might have avoided type 2 diabetes and weight gain all together. I don't miss meat, and I am happy to stay away from sugar and processed junk. I was a cheese junkie, and I don't even miss cheese.

There are so many new foods to taste and try. I don't think you could ever get bored eating this way.

8 hours ago, Apple1 said:

There are so many new foods to taste and try. I don't think you could ever get bored eating this way.

There are! So many and I'm not bored of it either.

I am still listen to "How not to Die".

Some of the things I am learning are really reinforcing my decision to avoid animal products and eat a WFPB diet for life.

Do you realize all of the pesticides that find there way into the fat of animals raised for human consumption? And that scraps from slaughtering are sold to feed companies and used to once again feed the animals sold to us as food? 😲😖These two points alone are good enough for me.

Another thing. I have started eating a salad for lunch almost everyday. I use a mix of dark leafy greens , cabbage, peppers, radish, tomatoes, walnuts, basically any veggie I have on hand, and I use a simple vinaigrette dressing. I have never been this regular. I mean twice a day regular..lol.. and I feel amazing!!

Greens really are a super food.

Ok, ladies, are y'all eating eggs? If so, I must share what I made for Breakfast. TLF (to live for) it was so good!

I buy ready made kim chee with active cultures to help my gut. And I also buy cartons of baby greens: super greens trio + baby spinach.

Brekky: 241 cals; 15g protein; 16g fat; 11g carbs; 6g fiber; 5g net carb

2 6-minute soft boiled eggs (large)

1/2 tbsp KG unsalted butter

1 1/2 oz super greens

1 oz baby spinach

granulated garlic

black pepper

Banyan Kim Chee

Wilt the greens with garlic and pepper in the micro, of place in a bowl and put the bowl on top of the egg pot, it will wilt while the eggs cook. Peel eggs, split each and add butter. Add kim chee on the side. Enjoy.

Holy mama is it delish!! You can make this low cal/low fat by reducing the butter, or using avocado in place of butter, or subbing out for olive oil.

17 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, ladies, are y'all eating eggs?

I am no longer eating eggs, dairy, or any animal products with a few exceptions

1. Yogurt- I am still eating this 2-3 times a week.

2. Wild Salmon- I ate 2oz of this last weekend, but most likely will not eat it again. I will continue to cook it for my hubby though.

3. The whey Protein in my Chike protein coffee shake. I am not stopping this anytime soon.

Thank you for posting the recipe though as I am sure there are still some vegetarians reading this thread that are still eating eggs. I just can't do it anymore after all I have learned.

This actually sounds like it would be super tasty with some extra firm tofu!

Check out this recipe for tofu Parmesan. I am going to make it with vegan Parmesan cheese this weekend and spinach. I am really trying to avoid cheese so I am trying to learn how to do some of the vegan cheeses.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13896/tofu-parmigiana/

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, Apple1 said:

I am still listen to "How not to Die".

Some of the things I am learning are really reinforcing my decision to avoid animal products and eat a WFPB diet for life.

Do you realize all of the pesticides that find there way into the fat of animals raised for human consumption? And that scraps from slaughtering are sold to feed companies and used to once again feed the animals sold to us as food? 😲😖These two points alone are good enough for me.

I finally finished Proteinaholic! YAY!!! So I can now start How not to Die...when I get to it. But yes, you sharing those points about the pesticides and the scraps are just astounding and makes me want to stay on point with the wfpb diet. I've always been one to not ever want to take prescription meds and even OTC meds just because I always think of them poisoning my body (even hated the fact that I had to take ppi's), but I didn't think about the food aspect in depth before and now that it's knowledge for me, it's hard to think about ever going back.