Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

On 8/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, Apple1 said:

My adult son comes by our house 1-2 times a week to do his laundry..lol.. When he is over he always opens up the fridge to see what I have for leftovers. Yesterday he stops by and I can hear him rummaging around in the fridge and he yells out Mom are you and Dad eating vegan now...lol.

He couldn't find any lunch meat or cheese in the fridge. He thinks it is cool, but he asked me if I am still cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving. I did't know the answer. I am still thinking about that one.

Lol. This is funny. Hmm...my parents usually do the turkey (even though I did it the last two years), so I might pass it back and do the sides. Not sure either really.

I'm not opposed to having meat during special occasions I'm just wondering if I'd even care enough to even eat it then. Was super hungry out and about today, had to stop by the convenience store for a money order and thought that I might find something. Nope. Nothing sounded good even though I was super hungry! I just hurried up to my kale/apple salad that was waiting for me at home. 😊 All that to say, I had the option of getting some kind of meal or pick up some junk food, but being WFPB has made my body pretty much want to reject those foods now. Which is all good!

On 8/17/2017 at 11:58 AM, CattMyst said:

On a side note, in immediate post on, my surgeon told us that I had NO VISCERAL FAT on my organs!! Completely unheard of for a 300lb person!!

How long have you been eating this way?

And I'm trying to figure out how you got to be heavy if you have been eating this way for a while. And if you haven't been at it long.. how quickly it must work to clean up those organs..

(I know tone doesn't carry over the written word well, but I am asking with honest curiosity, not any kind of nastiness).

42 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

How long have you been eating this way?

And I'm trying to figure out how you got to be heavy if you have been eating this way for a while. And if you haven't been at it long.. how quickly it must work to clean up those organs..

(I know tone doesn't carry over the written word well, but I am asking with honest curiosity, not any kind of nastiness).

I'm curious too. Your question reminds me of results that that Dr Greger mentioned on his "HOW NOT TO DIE" pbs special about cancers and such, how eating plants and eliminating animal meats can combat certain diseases in as little as two hours. So, even though visceral fat might not be in the same category of diseases (is a major contributor though), MAYBE the plant based diet eliminates that to protect your organs as well??? This calls for some homework....😊

Update: ah, Dr Greger mentions the question that needs to be asked is "where do you get your Fiber? " This makes sense, A 2011 study from researchers at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center discovered that an "increased intake of soluble fiber was associated with a reduction in belly fat." But it doesn't say for how long the benefits of a high fiber diet (that can come from a WFPB one) will result in the changes.

Edited by Newme17

@berry78@newme17

To answer as best as I can...
I have been eating about 70% plant based for a year or two, mostly due to turning 40 a few years ago & the ol' bod started getting goofy - LOL! I've never been able to digest red meat well anyway, so I don't miss it.

20 years ago I was put on Paxil to get through a divorce, and that was my undoing. I became a zombie. I gained 200 lbs in 2 years, mostly because I slept. I shut down. I'm not a binge eater, but anything I put in my mouth hung on in my zombie state. I've just been unable to get any sort of metabolism going since then. 20 years of 300+ lbs has taken its toll, but my BP & BS were always too low for insurance to cover surgery.

In Jan this year, I just got fed up. I've been studying voraciously all these years to be prepared for the sleeve, and stumbled across Proteinaholic a while back. I've since been studying Dr. Campbell (The China Project), whose research echoes and reinforces it. The date of my first consult, this go round, was May 24th. I came home and put myself on the VGS post-op diet then and there, only with WFPB veg. I stayed under 1000 calories as well. So, from May 24th to my surgery on Aug 7, I effectively lost all the visceral fat on my organs. My surgeon was amazed, as someone weighing 300 lbs ALWAYS has visceral fat. I attribute the loss to the caloric reduction and the WFPB fuel.
Does that help? Yes, there were some really tough days, but those were mostly during the liquid days. It. Was. Hard. Work. But I am proof the diligence pays off. And I feel better every day!

catt

Yes, this cleared it up nicely! Thanks! How much weight did you lose between May 24th and August 7th?

I lost an even 40 by myself, and 10 more since surgery. I'm SOOOO looking forward to my follow up appointment this week, so I can start soft foods. I miss my tomatoes and broccoli!!!

catt

12 hours ago, Newme17 said:

All that to say, I had the option of getting some kind of meal or pick up some junk food, but being WFPB has made my body pretty much want to reject those foods now. Which is all good!

Great job!!

I had the option today at a barbecue and I chose a veggie burger. I would not have made that choice 3 weeks ago. I am feeling really good about my decision.

I do wish there was a cooking course for vegan/vegetarian near me. I think it would be fun and educational to learn better ways of preparing these types of foods.

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

do wish there was a cooking course for vegan/vegetarian near me. I think it would be fun and educational to learn better ways of preparing these types of foods.

I'd love to know more about and to try exotic/foreign produce and how to cook with them-or even just more international vegan dishes. I've been doing many meals from the vegan (and a few vegetarian) recipes on budgetbytes.com it's pretty much my go-to site now. I need to venture to others. I think there's only two recipes that I've (or my hubby) made more than once. Otherwise, we've been having a new meal most everyday for the past month or so! It's been quite fun.

1 hour ago, CattMyst said:

If you can handle the attitude, Thug Kitchen rocks!!!!

catt

Oh wow. That language was a bit much for me. I didn't even get off the first page of the website. I think I will skip that site..but thank you for posting.

Oh wow. That language was a bit much for me. I didn't even get off the first page of the website. I think I will skip that site..but thank you for posting.

I realize they're not for everyone, didn't mean to offend!!

catt

20 minutes ago, CattMyst said:

I realize they're not for everyone, didn't mean to offend!!

catt

You warned me. I am

not offended at all. I wasn't sure what you meant by attitude so I checked it out. 😉 no worries.