Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

12 minutes ago, smooshycheeks said:

My copy arrives tomorrow! Also got his previous book Guide to weight loss Surgery.

I think he cringes with his previous book. He goes along with the high Protein diets in it. Unless he did a book geared towards wls and eating a Whole Foods plant based diet??? Did he? I'd totally buy it if so.

So I watched HOW NOT TO DIE pbs special with Dr Michael Greger. It was informative as I thought and expected. one phrase that stuck out to me is "Heart disease is a choice" (or fill in the blank is a choice). He goes into numerous studies and facts and science behind how plants can heal the body. Pretty amazing. He also quoted a doctor who was asked why he follows a vegan diet and that doc said "I know I'm going to die, but I don't want it to be my fault." <-----that speaks loudly to me. Ooh.

10 hours ago, Newme17 said:

So I watched HOW NOT TO DIE pbs special with Dr Michael Greger. It was informative as I thought and expected. one phrase that stuck out to me is "Heart disease is a choice" (or fill in the blank is a choice). He goes into numerous studies and facts and science behind how plants can heal the body. Pretty amazing. He also quoted a doctor who was asked why he follows a vegan diet and that doc said "I know I'm going to die, but I don't want it to be my fault." <-----that speaks loudly to me. Ooh.

I am going to purchase his book once I am finished with Proteinaholic. It got very good reviews on Amazon.

4 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

I am going to purchase his book once I am finished with Proteinaholic. It got very good reviews on Amazon.

Yes, I am too. :)

Thanks for this info. !

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1" instagram: K_aane_VSG

22 minutes ago, K_aane said:

Thanks for this info. !

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1" instagram: K_aane_VSG

So welcome! :)

"nutritional “experts” promote a fantasy they call “bio-individuality,” meaning that we’re all different and need to eat based on our body’s own inner wisdom. That’s fine in theory, but in practice it usually means choosing the foods we crave over the ones that can heal us. Imagine telling a cocaine addict to listen to his body. He’d be bent over a mirror with a glass straw up his nose as soon as his current high started to fade."

I had to post this quote from the book. This is exactly why I felt the intuitive eating method wouldn't work for a majority of people. This book is really speaking to me.

1 minute ago, Apple1 said:

"nutritional “experts” promote a fantasy they call “bio-individuality,” meaning that we’re all different and need to eat based on our body’s own inner wisdom. That’s fine in theory, but in practice it usually means choosing the foods we crave over the ones that can heal us. Imagine telling a cocaine addict to listen to his body. He’d be bent over a mirror with a glass straw up his nose as soon as his current high started to fade."

I had to post this quote from the book. This is exactly why I felt the intuitive eating method wouldn't work for a majority of people. This book is really speaking to me.

Absolutely right! I had my ideas about the intuitive eating and I now believe I'm wrong and won't hesitate to say so. It's giving yourself permission to do the wrong things for your health knowing all along they aren't good for you.

Well I am on chapter 15 this morning. I am amazed and feel disappointed in myself for not digging deeper into the literature for the facts 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

I am thankful that I kept an open mind and I am still willing to learn when new and better information is brought to my attention.

On 8/4/2017 at 8:02 PM, Private Citizen said:

what level of Protein will you all now eat daily to maintain muscle mass and heart muscle?

will you put Protein whey into oatmeal/potatoes to get enough if you are skipping eggs and cheese? did he give a number in the book that is the lowest we can go?

I don't know what my protein levels are and I don't really care anymore. I'm eating whole foods plant based and feel great. I'm still lifting 3x a week and I'm still building muscle. I can see it and I feel stronger. My husband is body building on this same lifestyle diet and he's noticeably getting bigger. His coworkers are always commenting on it. I have a weakness for his muscular arms...LOL Plant Proteins break down different than animal proteins...and are healthier. But there's no such thing as not getting enough protein through a plant based diet and not being able to retain/build muscle.

Here's a video that can help explain some of it. If you navigate through the site, you'll also find a lot of science behind animal protein and plant protein as well. Enjoy!

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-bodybuilding/

18 minutes ago, Newme17 said:
On 8/4/2017 at 9:02 PM, Private Citizen said:

what level of Protein will you all now eat daily to maintain muscle mass and heart muscle?

will you put Protein whey into oatmeal/potatoes to get enough if you are skipping eggs and cheese? did he give a number in the book that is the lowest we can go?

Based on my reading he said I believe 47g for women and 60 for men but I would have to look that up. He also provides a formula to use.

He doesn't keep track of his Protein and he is a marathon and triathlete runner. He just eats fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. He has tons of energy and is not losing any muscle mass.

I have been following this thread with interest.

I got curious as to how we could meet even minimal Protein goals without animal products.

Went through my cabinet: serving size 1/2 cup except where indicated

Peas 4g

Canned spinach 3g

Nuts 7g/ounce

Oats 5g

Rice 4g

Potatoes 2g

Pasta 7g

Beans 7g

Conclusion: with our small stomachs it is very difficult to get in even minimal protein. We need to eat 7g of protein 7 times a day to make 49g. Not impossible, but it would take some real planning.

An interesting find.. black bean spaghetti. It has a whopping 25g of protein and 12g Fiber in a 2oz (dry) serving. I assume that's about 1/2 cup. If you were to eat that each day, you'd be covered.

43 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

Based on my reading he said I believe 47g for women and 60 for men

WebMD says:

• Adult men need about 56 grams a day.
  • Adult women need about 46 grams a day

USDA guidelines are the same.

2 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

black bean spaghetti.

Sounds good and yummy. I'm going to look it up!

I haven't been worrying or documenting my Protein levels since I went this route. I'm still building my muscle, have so much more energy, losing weight, and I know it's the best healthy diet for me. I could be getting the recommended of 45g...since I'm eating much more and I also have a variety of whole foods everyday. But I don't expect anyone to just take my words for it...but definitely research on your own and what's best for you. I'm interested to find what my blood work from yesterday shows. I'm sure my nut will say something about my protein not being 60-85g...LOL Totally not worried though. We shall see...

@Berry78 Interesting facts/science about animal Proteins.

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/protein/

Edited by Newme17