Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

1 minute ago, CattMyst said:

I'm getting really excited! It's so lovely to have sweet souls here to share the journey!!

catt

I was super excited too when it was my time. What time you go in?

Hi Veggie Warriors!!! I'm gearing up for my sleeve TOMORROW!!! and, in the meantime, here's my goal meal for my birthday next Feb. We'll be making these as sliders, natch!!! I'm also thinking Tomato slices for Buns, as well. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!

https://vanillaandbean.com/black-bean-walnut-burgers-saucy-sweet-onions/

catt

Newme17, I am working tonight, and go in at 0530 Central time. It's pretty hard to not count the minutes!

catt

3 hours ago, CattMyst said:

Hi Veggie Warriors!!! I'm gearing up for my sleeve TOMORROW!!! and, in the meantime, here's my goal meal for my birthday next Feb. We'll be making these as sliders, natch!!! I'm also thinking Tomato slices for Buns, as well. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!

catt

Thank you sharing this. I've been looking in to different burgers to make. So far, I've found a beet burger to try. I saved this to make sometime soon too. Sounds so good!

I made some quinoa tabbouleh. So fresh and yummy. Wish I could eat more but my little tummy can't handle so much. 😊

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/04/quinoa-tabbouleh/

19 hours ago, CattMyst said:

catt

Omg these look so good! Putting this on my Pinterest for later!

Also---good luck today!! Let us know how it goes!

Edited by fruitandveggies

Thanks, Veggie Warriors!!!!
I'm sitting up in hospital, been out walking pretty much every hour - then 1 oz Water &a nap after walking. The soreness is quite tolerable, and they put a patch behind my ear for nausea, which is SOOOO great in these first days!!! Hoping to be home tomorrow evening, as our Home Goal is to get 1oz liquid down consistently per hour, then bump up to 1oz every 30mins. And I seem to be doing well with water & clear broth. Small Goals = Small Victories!!!! [emoji178]

catt

I also really love a chickpea burger! It's basically a falafel patty. YUMMMMMM! And my goal is to have a slider next Feb, for my birthday! So far, so good!!!

catt

On 7/30/2017 at 4:28 PM, Newme17 said:

Is the same as the research and evidence on grains in the article attached. I read it and went back looking for how grains affect the body nutritionally in the book and I couldn't find it. But this article spells it out pretty good too.

http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2016/08/busting-whole-grain-myth/#gs.oNam6wo

I haven't read the book yet, but I am interested and wanted to ask some questions.

I copied these statements from the article @Newme17 posted.

Another problem is that the carbohydrate-insulin theory also presumes that carbohydrates have some unique relationship with insulin causing the latter to spike.

However, when you examine the insulinogenic index (a measure of how much eating food increases insulin per unit calorie), you see that protein-rich foods like beef increase insulin secretion as much as carbohydrate-rich foods like Pasta.< /em>

I have had type 2 diabetes for almost 4 years and through my testing I can absolutely confirm that consuming whole grains does in fact raise my blood sugar a lot. In fact, it raises it much more than eating Protein from meats as long as the serving sizes are equal. I could eat a 4 oz steak and not have a significant rise in my BS, but if I ate 4oz of whole wheat pasta it would spike more than 60 points. I haven't tested this since having surgery because I am afraid to awake the sleeping giant and have been staying away from grains. From my testing I can safely eat 15g of carb at a meal and have my BS only go up 20-25 points and it comes back down nicely within 2 hours. I ate a little more carbs then usual last week, and I did notice a slight increase in my fasting BS. It was up in the 90's instead of the usual 75-83 it has been. Most of my carbs last week were from fruit, apples, grapes, and watermelon. This was the first time I had eaten these types of fruits since my surgery. I was testing the waters a little and I think my body handled it well, but I didn't push it. I ate small amounts.

My question is: Are there any type 2 diabetics that have switched to a plant based diet that includes whole grains and cured their diabetes? Did you get off your medications? If having WLS surgery cured your diabetes as I think mine has, have you started eating whole grains again and still have your diabetes in remission?

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

I haven't read the book yet, but I am interested and wanted to ask some questions.

I copied these statements from the article @Newme17 posted.

Another problem is that the carbohydrate-insulin theory also presumes that carbohydrates have some unique relationship with insulin causing the latter to spike.

However, when you examine the insulinogenic index (a measure of how much eating food increases insulin per unit calorie), you see that protein-rich foods like beef increase insulin secretion as much as carbohydrate-rich foods like Pasta.

I have had type 2 diabetes for almost 4 years and through my testing I can absolutely confirm that consuming whole grains does in fact raise my blood sugar a lot. In fact, it raises it much more than eating Protein from meats as long as the serving sizes are equal. I could eat a 4 oz steak and not have a significant rise in my BS, but if I ate 4oz of whole wheat Pasta it would spike more than 60 points. I haven't tested this since having surgery because I am afraid to awake the sleeping giant and have been staying away from grains. From my testing I can safely eat 15g of carb at a meal and have my BS only go up 20-25 points and it comes back down nicely within 2 hours. I ate a little more carbs then usual last week, and I did notice a slight increase in my fasting BS. It was up in the 90's instead of the usual 75-83 it has been. Most of my carbs last week were from fruit, apples, grapes, and watermelon. This was the first time I had eaten these types of fruits since my surgery. I was testing the waters a little and I think my body handled it well, but I didn't push it. I ate small amounts.

My question is: Are there any type 2 diabetics that have switched to a plant based diet that includes whole grains and cured their diabetes? Did you get off your medications? If having WLS surgery cured your diabetes as I think mine has, have you started eating whole grains again and still have your diabetes in remission?

I'm not diabetic so I don't have any personal experience with this, but I want to recommend you check out Physician's Committee for Responsible medicine (their section on diabetes is here). They are a non-profit of practicing and research MD's that educate the public about how plant-based eating can cure some of our biggest heath issues as a country, including diabetes. Dr. Neal Barnard is the founder and has done hundreds of talks on the topic and even has a couple of books on it as well. There are some on their site, but a bunch more on YouTube!

2 hours ago, CattMyst said:

Thanks, Veggie Warriors!!!!
I'm sitting up in hospital, been out walking pretty much every hour - then 1 oz Water &a nap after walking. The soreness is quite tolerable, and they put a patch behind my ear for nausea, which is SOOOO great in these first days!!! Hoping to be home tomorrow evening, as our Home Goal is to get 1oz liquid down consistently per hour, then bump up to 1oz every 30mins. And I seem to be doing well with Water & clear broth. Small Goals = Small Victories!!!!

catt

Yay!!! Sounds like a great first day! Keep that walking going the best you can too. It'll help immensely. 😁

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

Ah, I cannot answer personally bu I can share someone else's story!

https://www.forksoverknives.com/how-i-reversed-my-diabetes-and-stopped-all-medications-with-a-plant-based-diet/#gs.Ih4zZcY

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

through my testing I can absolutely confirm that consuming whole grains does in fact raise my blood sugar a lot. I

I wish I weren't just a simple gal with simple words; by I am me and I don't need to change who I am, but if only I could make it sound so much better if I wrote how the docs do. Lol. From what I've been learning....if I could even say it right (someone else, help!!) is that the grains raising your blood sugar is a symptom of diabetes; not the cause. Those sugars/carbs could not process correctly due to inflammation and fats in the bloodstream; which is then insulin resistance. By eliminating animal Proteins that cause the inflammation and saturated fats, then your body will be able to work correctly in breaking down those grains and legumes.

Garth explains the science of how our bodies breakdown animal proteins WAY BETTER THAN ME. So, don't take my every word, just in case. Haha!

*********MEMO***********

tune in tomorrow! Let's support one of my new favorite doctors, Dr Michael Greger ! Thank you @fruitandveggies!!! My husband sent this to me earlier today :

My first PBS TV special on "How Not To Die" will be premiering Tomorrow- Tuesday, August 8th at 8 pm ET. You'll be able to watch the livestream right on NutritionFacts.org! https://nutritionfacts.org/live/

For those in the Detroit area, you can also view it on Detroit Public Television.

This is the first pilot screening. The better it does, in terms of viewership and pledges, the more stations across the country will pick it up in the Fall. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Newme17

Woohoo!! Thanks for sharing this, @Newme17! Isn't he just awesome!? So many facts now live in my brain thanks to him, haha.