Aging process and Sleeve

27 posts in this topic

I haven't had my surgery yet, but a few weeks ago I was sore all over. I decided to increase my Protein. That helped. What really helped was drinking a glass of fat free MILK. I have been taking Calcium tablets for years. After 2 days of drinking 1 glass of milk a day; the soreness went away. Now I drink a glass a day. I don't think the cal supplements did very much for me.

I've been grappling with would I rather be thin and wrinkled or obese and less wrinkled. It's a hard decision. I have noticed that over weight people have a hard time moving around (me included). Older overweight people really have a hard time moving. I see thin elderly people and they seem to be able to enjoy life a whole lot more.

I'm concerned not just about wrinkles, but huge flaps of lose skin all over, which I hear is more extreme if you are older. Has anybody had the surgery and had to deal with this?

I also heard that even if you lose weight slowly, at my age 56, I'm still going to have flaps of skin. Apparently meaning that I have huge weight issues or folds of skin to look forward to.

You would be able to enjoy life way more at a healthy weight and will undoubtedly live longer. I am 55 and want to be able to play with my future grand kids and travel the world. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as overweight as I was/am. The heat of the Dominican Republic was awful on me last month. If we exercise and use moisturizers some of the extra skin will tighten. There may still be issues but that can be corrected with plastic surgery if it's really that bad.
To me it wasn't a choice. I wanted to be healthy!

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 199 GW 135

That's what I figured. Also another gal on this site posted her after pics of a weight loss over 100 pounds- she posted her abdomen and then after her plastic surgery. I was impressed even with the before pic and she said her plastics were covered by insurance. She posted pre plastics pics with a sick dress on and said she was wearing spa clothes- she looked gorgeous! Cruise the other posts.
I have lost 24 pounds so far and I have more energy than I ever have. I think just the change in diet - low carb hi Protein has made all the difference!
Good luck with your decision!

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 199 GW 135

On 7/21/2017 at 9:30 AM, Animal Lover said:

I've been grappling with would I rather be thin and wrinkled or obese and less wrinkled. It's a hard decision. I have noticed that over weight people have a hard time moving around (me included). Older overweight people really have a hard time moving. I see thin elderly people and they seem to be able to enjoy life a whole lot more.

I'm concerned not just about wrinkles, but huge flaps of lose skin all over, which I hear is more extreme if you are older. Has anybody had the surgery and had to deal with this?

I also heard that even if you lose weight slowly, at my age 56, I'm still going to have flaps of skin. Apparently meaning that I have huge weight issues or folds of skin to look forward to.

One day I was people watching and came to the realization that (from my anecdotal evidence), that there isn't really a high percentage of older people who are morbidly obese. I personally believe the reason you rarely see this, is they die earlier. So, I believe the better question is, would you rather be thin and wrinkled, or obese and dead...

Sorry, don't mean to be so dramatic. This is what I believe, and why I am well on my way to doing the sleeve.

Thanks! You really made me feel better about my decision!

I went to my dr yesterday- I posted about it in the fifties forum - my doc says my diabetes is gone and one more normal A1C and my diagnoses will be deleted. That's with just 25 pounds down and a low carb diet!

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 198 GW 135