Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, constant nausea

I am new to this site. I have been reading and reading it for days since my surgery and did many searches and have found it extremely helpful.

I was sleeved on 10/17/16. Everything went well. The only downside I see is that I was in a whole lot more pain than I thought I would be in. That severe pain has left me though. But now the past several days I am stuck with regret. I keep thinking what have I done to myself? At first I had a few brief periods of that thought and it was because I could only eat so little of Clear liquids or creamed Soups while my family ate things like pizza and tacos. Those thoughts passed quickly. But these last several days I can't shake it. These thoughts aren't because of food woes. The biggest thing is I have constant nausea. It's there if I don't eat, if I do eat, if I don't drink, and if I do drink. It never leaves! I called the doctor yesterday and he said it is normal since I am not far out of surgery and should pass as I am able to eat more. Well I can't eat because I have a huge fear of vomiting. I try to get Protein shakes in and they are gross. Everything sweet is gross. I have followed everything precisely and I have not "cheated" once. I don't feel like I am ever going to be normal again. I wish I could go back and not have this surgery. At this point all I do is drink Water and it makes me feel nauseous too but I am trying to stay hydrated. I get maybe one meal in a day sometimes two. I can't live like this. I just wanted to vent in a place where people might understand. Thank you for listening. :)

Trust when people tell you hang in there it gets better

@@HisMrsWright Nausea is common - but your surgeon should be treating you for it!!! I've been on Zofran since I got home and told to keep taking (surgery 10/18/16). You won't be able to stay hydrated or get your Protein if you continue to be nauseous. Ask your Dr for a prescription - it will help a lot and you will feel so much better physically and emotionally. If you're on something that isn't working - ask him to change it to something else. There's no need to have nausea!

Good luck!

Kristen

It definitely gets better. Has your doctor given you any antinausea meds? If not..you should ask for some. The dissolvable zofrans got me through.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor did give me zofran after surgery. I took one yesterday and it made me really tired. I slept most of the day. I am going to try some again today. He offered to call me in some more if I need it. I guess I will try it for a few days and see if it helps and if not I will ask for something different. I just hope I don't have to live on anti nausea medication. My best friend had surgery back in April and suggested I keep taking the Vitamins (which are also gross to me and I skip every few days) to get the extra nutrients and that might make me feel better too.

This leads me to another issue. It is really hard to take my regular medication (thyroid and a few different things for anxiety and depression), Vitamins, a Tylenol once in a while for pain, two antacids a day, etc and drink enough Water. Especially when there is the wait before and after eating with drinking. There are not enough hours in the day to get everything in this tiny tummy! I am hoping I can get off most of these medications in the near future.

I am still pre-op, so take from this what you will, but I would double check with your surgeon about having to wait after drinking to eat. I just saw my dietician and she said that I could drink up until right before I eat, I only have to wait after eating.

Another thing to add is that fat tends to store hormones, and since you are losing so fast, you may be having a hormone dump. That will contribute to your feelings of depression and regret. Hang in there, take your anti-nausea meds, and sleep if you need to. You are healing from major surgery and you are allowed to take time to recover.

I hope you feel better soon!

I am new to this site. I have been reading and reading it for days since my surgery and did many searches and have found it extremely helpful.

I was sleeved on 10/17/16. Everything went well. The only downside I see is that I was in a whole lot more pain than I thought I would be in. That severe pain has left me though. But now the past several days I am stuck with regret. I keep thinking what have I done to myself? At first I had a few brief periods of that thought and it was because I could only eat so little of Clear liquids or creamed Soups while my family ate things like pizza and tacos. Those thoughts passed quickly. But these last several days I can't shake it. These thoughts aren't because of food woes. The biggest thing is I have constant nausea. It's there if I don't eat, if I do eat, if I don't drink, and if I do drink. It never leaves! I called the doctor yesterday and he said it is normal since I am not far out of surgery and should pass as I am able to eat more. Well I can't eat because I have a huge fear of vomiting. I try to get Protein shakes in and they are gross. Everything sweet is gross. I have followed everything precisely and I have not "cheated" once. I don't feel like I am ever going to be normal again. I wish I could go back and not have this surgery. At this point all I do is drink Water and it makes me feel nauseous too but I am trying to stay hydrated. I get maybe one meal in a day sometimes two. I can't live like this. I just wanted to vent in a place where people might understand. Thank you for listening. :)[/]

I know what you are feeling. I went through that pretty soon after my surgery as well. I had the RNY gastric bypass on 8/1. I felt so much worse than I initially thought I would. I am now 3 mos out ... I had 24/7 nausea (was on 3 antiemetics to "control" it) pretty much from the get go through about 3 weeks ago. I also have a hard time eating or drinking ... I'm going through scan after scan trying to figure out what is going on. I remember thinking too "What have I done?" "Why did I do this to myself?" And wanting to undo it!!! It REALLY does get better ... my 24/7 nausea did finally stop. I'm having other issues which they are trying to find a reason for (possible hernia) so I haven't really been able to eat much...I'm still primarily relying on my Protein drinks. I like the premier vanilla ready made shakes. I can blend them with some fruit or even with other coffee flavored Protein powders and my Miralax and benefiber - and they don't taste chalky or gritty. When the vanilla gets to sweet for me, I switch over to the chocolate, it's less sweet. My taste buds go back and forth - sometimes everything is just way too sweet for me. Hang in there ... you are still so early out.

Hang in there. The nausea was terrible at first but it got better. My doc ended up giving me some antinausea meds. I now only have nausea when I first start to eat. After a few bites it goes away.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

One thing that I have not seen anyone else mention... I had terrible nausea and also wondered "what have I done???". When the zofran and other anti-nausea meds didn't work, my doc ran some tests and I ended up having my gallbladder removed. My sleeve was in September 2o14 and the gallbladder was removed in December. So it took about 3 months to figure it out but once the gallbladder was removed, the nausea was immediately gone. Since then I have lost 110 lbs and never looked back. Best thing I have ever done for myself!!

It's worth asking your doc about. Hope you are feeling better soon.

It is really encouraging to hear so many people who have been in the same situation and that it got better. There is some hope it that.

No one at the surgeons office educated me in hormone dumping and I need to do some research on that. As far as drinking the nutritionist says 30 minutes before and not right up to meal time. It is also in the binder they gave us. If I continue to have problems with it I am going to have to reach out to her and see what other options there are. I have been feeling a tad better the last few days. Not great but better than before. I've made sure to take Vitamins and I'm working hard in getting in Protein.

I wish it was something like my gallbladder. I like explanation. But I had that removed 10 years ago or so right after I had my son. I get frightened at all of the other types of complications it could be like leaking or strictures.

I started only experiencing nausea at the soft foods phase. I started soft foods on Tuesday and yesterday was the first time I didn't have nausea with foods. Drinking Water on the other hand is whole different story. I was doing well getting my Water in but I just CANNOT for the life of me get my water in this week. I'm really worried about it but trying to do the best I can.

I hope you feel better soon. It's a slow process but we will get there. Big hugs.

Remember the 30 min before and after rule is only for when you 'eat' a meal. Not for when your 'drinking' a meal. You don't have to bookend Protein shakes and broth with 30 mins. If you have some cottage cheese or something you have to 'eat' then wait it out. I was also told the waiting before isn't necessary. I feel for you tho, I've had on and off nausea and it sucks. Hope you're feeling better soon!

It goes away.. I had it too and could not get Water down well either. As time passed everything fell into place I can drink more eat more and no nausea unless I eat too fast. I am down 100lbs since 6/8

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi everyone....I am also experiencing naseau. I'm on zofran. Sometimes it helps and other times it doesnt. I also have another problem. I have not gone to the bathroom #2 for almost 2 weeks. I don't have pain so I am just wondering if that's normal?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App