Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting VSG in August at the age of 54

I was 58 when I had my surgery last November. I had absolutely no problems and still don't. But- I did go on a preop diet for 9 months and had already lost 65 pounds by the time of surgery. I also had started exercising so I think my body was in a good place to heal and get on with life! I feel better now at this age than I did in the last 20 years. Good luck!

@@tab143 - I had mine at 51. There were no complications because of age. I just took all the warnings seriously and stuck to the pre-op diet.

I had my appendix out over a decade ago. I was not in shape and the recovery was horrible. So because I had surgery date I worked out as much as I could with the goal of building as much muscle as I could. It made for a very easy recovery.

@ Tab143 I had my surgery 5 years ago at age 58, I am 63 now, at goal for 4 years. Zero problems. It changed my life. I wrote a book about my first year (there is a chapter a week for an entire year) and I was also traveling at the time. It might give you an idea of what to expect. (the name of the book is Queen of Crop ) But the most important thing is that it is never too late to get healthy! Good luck!

I am 56 years old and praying I will have my surgery on July 18 this year. I too had questions about doing this at my age. But I have devoted my life to raising my family. My husband is supportive, my children are as well. I am sure my grandchildren would be also but they are too young to understand. I one of my four sons is worried about me having yet another surgery (many for various health and joint issues). He is afraid I will die, but the high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, COPD, sleep apnea, liver disease etc any could cause me to die. Some quickly others long slow and painful. No thank you!!! I have a chance to being a new stage of my life getting healthy and I am going to do it.

I was 59 when I had my VSG last October. I only wish that I had done it sooner as the results are nothing short of miraculous. OK so I have to do some of the hard work but just having the 'stop' button that the sleeve gives me is just the best thing ever. I don't feel deprived because, at the end of the day I can choose to eat exactly what I want. The fact is, I seem to eat exactly what I NEED and I feel wonderful on it. I'm no saint believe me-the odd chocolate, a mouthful of something sweet and carbohydrate ridden or some other (un)forbidden treat has slithered down my throat from time to time but I don't get into a lather about it. I have stalls like everyone else but I don't stress about those either. The weight is waving bye-bye to my frame. New, fun clothes are saying hello to the same frame. I am LOVING every second of my journey. Good luck to all of you who are going to have surgery and I really hope you end up smile big as much as me.

By the way, I read 'Queen of Crop' shortly after I had my surgery and can thoroughly recommend it as a 'must read' post surgery. I identified with so much and it gave me lots of reassurance that I was on the right track and doing the right things.

Wondering if anyone else had surgery at my age? If so, any advise or words of warning?

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I just turned 52 and was sleeved April 20, 2015. It is one of the best decisions I ever made.

52 when I was sleeved. A week or 2 after surgery I went through the "what the hell did I do !" Phase. Now 7 months post op and 79 pounds gone , I'm loving my new life and so are my grandchildren!! Good luck on your journey we are here if you need us. It's never to late to get healthy

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved August of last year at age 51. I'm almost 11 months out now, have gone from 403 pounds to 232 pounds, and I'm doing great. The only moment of doubt I had, that I can remember anyway, is waking up in the recovery room, hearing some beeotch moaning like crazy, wishing she would shut the f*** up, and then realizing it was ME! At that moment I thought, "oh my god, what have I done". Then the morphine kicked in and I was fine.

I can't think of any regrets I have, other than wishing I had done it 20 years earlier (but hey, our experiences make us who we are). That, and I'm not happy with my deflated "parts" but I plan on plastics in the next year or so. Last weekend I went to a pool party that became a "clothing optional" event after dark. Most of the people were skinny-dipping by that point, but I just couldn't do it, not with these saggy tatas. Sad because I would have done it at 400 pounds. I felt pretty good at achieving wearing a bathing suit because my saggy thighs were threatening to cause a tsunami.

Edited by Sharon1964

Well hello there. I am 56 and am also considering surgery in August. I have done 8 months of an Intensive Outpatient Program for eating disorders. I'm also nervous about making such a big change in my life. So, I feel ya!

I was sleeved just weeks before I turned 58. No problems at all, and frankly even at just 2 months post-op I feel better than I have in many years. So glad I did it.

Now, if I didn't have 58 years worth of minor injuries it would be easier to kick up the exercise but I'm doing it fine just the same. I did injure my knee pretty badly about 2 months prior to surgery and I'm really noticing that this hasn't healed as quickly as it once would have. Gotta play the cards you're dealt though!

My surgery was a week ago and I'm 54. So far, so good!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 54 and I am tentatively scheduled for surgery July 21, 2016. I think we will do fine. Thanks for all the input from such a nice sleevers, it is very encouraging.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved just weeks before I turned 58. No problems at all, and frankly even at just 2 months post-op I feel better than I have in many years. So glad I did it.

Now, if I didn't have 58 years worth of minor injuries it would be easier to kick up the exercise but I'm doing it fine just the same. I did injure my knee pretty badly about 2 months prior to surgery and I'm really noticing that this hasn't healed as quickly as it once would have. Gotta play the cards you're dealt though!

Yeah, I recently injured a knee and it is not healing. No issue with the joint, but the meniscus is torn. I'm normally a reasonably active person, but now I can't do most of the things I like to do in terms of physical activity. Which is only strengthening my resolve about surgery.

Thank you very much for the reassurance!