Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Its getting closer to my orientation which if I remember correctly I meet my surgeon for the first time. I know he will ask what surgery I am wanting before he tells me his opinion... Honestly... I have done nothing but research for the past 4 months... The sleeve seems really awesome, but the con's are I already have terrible acid reflux and most people get it with this surgery and I'm in a family of hard headedness lol. The bypass is seeming maybe better because I do need to get some weight of quick in the beginning due to my back injury ... I can't walk around with out chronic pain and my legs giving out.. Sorry this is long, but I'm 24 almost 25 and I want to be sure to get the surgery u can live with my whole life... Suggestions are needed my friends

I'm 23 almost 24. I am 8 days post op from the sleeve. I chose that surgery because it seemed to be the one my surgeon leaned to and because it has fewer malabsorption issues than bypass. That was important to me as I do not have children yet and would like to start a family someday. Malabsorption and pregnancy do not sound like a good mix.

Also, my surgeon has all patients take a PPI (reflux medication) for at least a year post op. I've had no issues with it since surgery but I didn't have many issues with it before. The weight loss has been pretty rapid for me. I've lost 13-14lbs in 8 days.

That's really awesome! I guess I'm nervous about the sleeve because the portion sizes compared to a bypass stomach.. I may be over thinking it though lol

I would do whatever you feel the most comfortable with but also ask your surgeon for their opinion. My dad had the sleeve and lost over 100lbs in less than a year. My stepmom had an RNY done and 10 years later still had successfully kept the weight off. There is success and roadblocks with every surgery. The sleeve just felt like the right decision for me.

My dad had the rny last May and he has done fantastic... But yes the surgeon knows best :)

Hello! I just turned 24 December 22nd, and I had the RNY in August of 2015. Just hit 5 months post op and I'm doing really great. The extra accountability has been a good thing for me, and I've had no complications. Down 98 pounds since the day of surgery. No regrets! In the end, it's gotta be what works best for you. Though I will say that acid reflux issues point you in the direction of RNY. :)

For what it's worth, I had pretty bad acid reflux prior to the sleeve and have not had issues with it since surgery. I am 4 mos post surgery and I can eat just over 1/4 cup of food at a time. Fried food makes me a little queasy, even in small quantities. Other than that and some hair loss, I have no issues.

Fyi - the terrible GERD that SOME sleevers get seems to peak 3 plus years down the road. I think you should think hard on this one and review any current studies. I am a big sleeve fan but this is a known issue.

I am 4 years out - knock on wood, no GERd

My GERD resolved with sleeve and hernia repair so I am thinking it is individualized. I can eat a lot more than most sleevers post on here so portion size again will vary.

I had severe acid reflux (GERD) before surgery. And none since. I am 32 months post-op RNY.

Had reflux pre-op, mostly due to a hernia that was fixed during surgery. Post-sleeve, no issues ... but still on meds to make sure. At 9 months out Doc is starting to wean me off of them.

I also have a spine injury ... nerve pain with radiation and neuropathy in my left leg. Was pretty debilitating for the past 5 years & even did a stint in an intensive rehabilitation program. I lost pretty rapidly with my sleeve -- down 120 lbs in just over a year (9 months of that post-op). The weight loss has taken a great deal of pressure off my spine & I have seen a dramatic improvement.

Don't let the thoughts of other sway you though. Everyone's journey is personal. Talk to your surgeon & lay out your pros/cons for each WLS, then see what he says. Mine was more than willing to discuss & debate it with me until I reached a decision.

I had GERD prior to surgery and was on Nexium. I had the sleeve and hernia repair. Surgeon had me on Nexium for 3 months after surgery. I am now 1 year out and no GERD. I lost 80 pounds in 8 months, so pretty quickly.

Talk to your surgeon, get the pre-op testing done and then make your decision.

I'm 20 months post VSG. Did not have GERD/Reflux prior to surgery but am now suffering big time. I'm going tomorrow for an esophageal pH study and then will meet with my surgeon to discuss possible treatment. Right now I take protonix 40mg before Breakfast, dexilant 60mg before dinner and Zantac 150mg before bed. I had to come off my meds cold turkey a week before the pH study and I'm dying. I can barely drink without esophageal spasms and severe heartburn. I can't wait until Friday so I can take a pill. With that said, I'd do my surgery again if need be, but if you have reflux issued before surgery, I'd think long and hard about bypass