Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I was told by my nutritionist to avoid gum for the same reason to avoid straws - they might introduce gas into your system. Has anyone else heard this? If anyone has had gum, how far post-op do you think is okay? I'm only 6 days post-op right now. I wouldn't swallow it obviously. Thank you!!!

​I was told the same. I think gum can also stir up gastric juices - same reason you aren't supposed to chew gum before a surgery. Avoid it.

There will be some who say don't have it and some who say they have it every day without any issue, same as straws.

Whatever works for you. Are you really desperate for gum?

I don't really like gum, when I was younger it had to be a specific brand, but as for the straw thing, I think all our requirements differ by what surgeon we have, my NUT recommended straws to help learn to sip, and I have was given straws right after surgery at the hospital

Edited by laguerr13

I was told that gum can get stuck in the sleeve and they've had to go after it surgically in some people. Don't know how true it is, but it's enough to make me skip it!

But I cheat and use straws all the time. ;)

I don't think I'm "desperate" yet, but I just used to chew a lot of gum to freshen my breath after meals so I'm wanting it after every shake. If I'm going to try it and see what happens, how long do y'all think I should wait?

I had sugar free gum three days after surgery because I kept getting a bad taste in my mouth. I chewed it for about 3 min and then threw it away. I was very careful not to swallow it. I didn't have any issues.

I will be able to have it at 6 months out. I was told the chewing will make your stomach produce a lot of stomach acid which of course won't end with food. I imagine it's not good to have that happening in your new stonach for awhile.

I chewed sugarless gum at 9 months out because I was terribly hungry and that was all that I could find in the car. After only 5 minutes of chewing, I started getting a terribly tight feeling in my stomach (air bubbles) that didn't go away for over an hour. It was very painful.

I do pretty good about sticking to the guidelines, but this was a stupid slip I will never try again.

I am a gum chewing-aholic. When I asked the Dr. About it, he said wait 4 months and see how it goes. I was chewing gum 4 days out. I did have a little discomfort in the beginning. Now at 5 months out, I am totally fine.

I was a gum-aholic before surgery. My surgeon never mentioned I could not have gum. However, I had read on this website that gum was restricted from some peoples diets; so I decided to eliminate gum just to be safe.

My alternative to gum ( I just liked the mint flavor more than the chewing part of gum) was I switched to the listerine mouth spray. It's a tiny little spray bottle and I use it several times a day. It also helps moisturizers my mouth while I am waiting to drink again after a meal.

Thanks for all the advice, y'all! I appreciate it. The listerine spray is a fantastic idea - I'll have to get some!