Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Yes - good luck Slvrsax, Kindle, HAS and Adoptivemom!!!!

You guys are all in great hands :). You all chose a very skilled surgeon and an excellent facility that will help you achieve health and happiness.

Check in when you can to let us know how you are doing!

FYI...I had my surgery on 11/21. I emailed them for my medical records on 12/2. Had not heard anything so I emailed them again today and copied Lori. I received my medical records by email today. Gloria said what took so long was getting the doctors to translate it to English.

I had to email them a couple times as well, but they did finally send them :)

Who uses the OCC forum? I like it too because you can add friends. I am briangie on there also if you want to look for me. My records came by email in 2 weeks. Carolyn, Lori, or Gloria will take care of it. I also asked for a doctors note and they emailed me that as well.

Who uses the OCC forum? I like it too because you can add friends. I am briangie on there also if you want to look for me. My records came by email in 2 weeks. Carolyn, Lori, or Gloria will take care of it. I also asked for a doctors note and they emailed me that as well.

I checked it out a while ago but there didn't seem to be much activity on it? I will try again :)

Ok, so I leave tomorrow and the extreme fear has set in! I feel confident that I picked the best possible surgeon, but still, I am so nervous!

I had my first waves of fear yesterday, too. (I leave tomorrow). I even started crying in the car on the way to work. It's not the fear of surgery, I have no doubts that will all go fine. It's more of, "what am I doing to myself!" I like binge eating...chowing a whole pizza cause it's so good, or gorging on a huge cheeseburger with fries, or eating everything in sight on the buffet table. I like drinking beer at parties and on river trips. I like my after work cocktail. Why would I deprive myself of that for the rest of my life? That, combined with the fact that I'm getting hungrier everyday on my preop and I've already lost all the weight I'm supposed to made me say "f....k it, I'm going to eat something good". I stopped at the grocery store and went straight to the deli where they have fresh made hot breakfast sandwiches. I stared through the case, probably even drooled on the glass. Then I walked away. I went to the drink Aisle and got a Lifewater zero and stocked up on some more Mio. Then I went to the pharmacy section and picked up some GasX strips. When I got back to the car I was seriously having a panic attack, but I just sat there and breathed and then drove away. Made it through the day with no cheats. I'm still feeling grumpy and mad at myself today for not being able to eat normally without surgery.

Just hope I don't have a complete panic attack on the plane tomorrow. Does whiskey count for my liquids only diet?!? :o

When you get to Tijuana, and the Mariott, walk up to the hill to Walmart. They have a really beautiful koi pond and a Starbucks and lots of stores. Like an open mall. And maybe they will be having tequila samples at Walmart still and your companion can try out some true Mexican tequila in Mexico. If you want to get out try to make it to Avenida Revolución Street. Big tourist area with shops where your companion will get a tequila shot at EVERY store. Also the tortilla Soup is awesome and the Mariott and watch for Fredricko in the red coat at the front door. He speaks wonderful English and knows the answer to everything we asked! Alberto and Manuel are great hotel staff also. Have Fun!

post-85424-0-33910400-1387378466_thumb.jpg

post-85424-0-99158800-1387378494_thumb.jpg

Kindle - hate to hear about your worry...you are going to do fantastic! Sitting here smiling because I am not indulging in any holiday treats either as I am SO DAMN CLOSE to my personal goal....I have smelled all the Cookies, pizza, and Snacks over the past weeks but not indulged in anything since the start of December. As I sit here in my size 6 jeans, I am VERY happy to skip the junk and feel frigging awesome (and a bit proud at the same time). You should feel proud too...you are making awesome choices even though you have lost what you needed before surgery.

Like you, I LOVE eating. So, it is kind of a buzz kill when you can't chow down anymore. It really does suck sometimes. But, I will still have a beer from time to time. And I still have things I enjoy, but just can't eat as much. After surgery, you will find your new normal.

Hugs and well wishes as you prepare to leave for TJ...really looking forward to hearing about your travel/surgery experience. GOOD LUCK!

I am scheduled for march and complications make me the most nervous. I have been told dr Ortiz has had no complications at all with the sleeve, but how is that even possible! Every surgeon is bound to have some I think, its just a roll of the dice. I'm concerned that if I have a complication when I get home it will bankrupt me or I will have trouble finding a surgeon to help (already having trouble finding a local surgeon willing to arrange aftercare with).

When you get to Tijuana, and the Mariott, walk up to the hill to Walmart. They have a really beautiful koi pond and a Starbucks and lots of stores. Like an open mall. And maybe they will be having tequila samples at Walmart still and your companion can try out some true Mexican tequila in Mexico. If you want to get out try to make it to Avenida Revolución Street. Big tourist area with shops where your companion will get a tequila shot at EVERY store. Also the tortilla Soup is awesome and the Mariott and watch for Fredricko in the red coat at the front door. He speaks wonderful English and knows the answer to everything we asked! Alberto and Manuel are great hotel staff also. Have Fun!

I loved Fredricko! We couldn't make it out to get any souvenirs which my mother asked for. Asked him if there was somewhere across the street and he said no, sadly. So we went back to our room and finished packing (we left the next day). In the morning awaiting our ride in the lobby, Fredricko comes up to us and gives us a small baggy with different key chain souvenirs!! We tried to pay him for them but he refused and sent us on our way with a smile. I couldn't believe he went out of his way after he got off work to get a lovable tacky keychains for my mom, unbelievable. Above and beyond doesn't cover it.

Good luck ladies! Don't be scared or nervous, it's a big change but I doubt it's one you'll regret. Just remember what ever it was that was the "final" straw for you. Mine was a cranberry juice drinking video my sister took of me. I knew I had put on weight in the last year but my word! So many chins! Seeing myself that way when I didn't feel that big solidified everything for me. I was so determined that I felt neither fear or worry, just stubborn grit that no way was I going to go another year without changing my life. I hope to be goal by my 26th birthday.

Keep us posted with how everything goes! We look forward to seeing your beautiful smiling faces on the other side.

Their Walmart is huge like Costco- at least the one we went to. Don't make the same mistake me and my mother did-you'll end up on the other side of town! Only take Marriott taxis :) The doormen are very nice.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm back at the Marriott, I needed to stay 2 nights at the clinic rather than one. Long story but all is well and everything was handled quickly and professionally. I am recovering (from 2 surgeries) and on the loser's bench! Turns out I had a hiatal hernia and they went in after the fact to fix it. I had no idea I even had one.

Hi Slvrsax!

Glad to hear you are back at the Marriott. I had a hiatal hernia as well but it was fixed at the time of the surgery. Hope you are feeling better :)

HG is right Kindle- this does suck sometimes. Mind you, I'm still early in the process and it is most definitely a "new normal." I go in the grocery store now and I walk around and I don't know what to do. I don't know what to buy to eat. I see all the food and it's no longer appealing. It makes me nauseated most of the time. I definitely have thought did I do the right thing- could I have made a change in my relationship with food without doing this? I don't think I could've honestly. But was this too extreme? I don't know. I can't change what I've done, but did I do the right thing? I had to make a change and I have to stand behind my choice. I see other people eat and I'm jealous! You know what else- I watch food chowdown shows that I never watched it this much before. It's crazy! Don't know why I'm doing it. This is definitely a weird time for me. I'm figuring out what I can eat and some days it works and some days it comes back up. I know it's just right now (well I hope it's just right now) but it doesn't suck any less.

I'm back at the Marriott, I needed to stay 2 nights at the clinic rather than one. Long story but all is well and everything was handled quickly and professionally. I am recovering (from 2 surgeries) and on the loser's bench! Turns out I had a hiatal hernia and they went in after the fact to fix it. I had no idea I even had one.

I'm glad all worked out for you :)