Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Congrats Derby!! Hope you and you group are doing well :)

MOTM- I couldn't imagine doing both!! What are you taking for pain for your mouth?

Liquid extra strength Advil. It's keeping the pain at bay, but I feel so weak and useless! And he pulled more teeth than I signed up for. The roots were so long in the healthy top wisdom teeth that it opened up a gap between my mouth and sinuses. That's probably the worse part. Plus I was having trouble keeping hydrated enough in the first place with me surgery, now its even harder *facepalm*

I'm anticipating getting my sleeve done with Dr. Ortiz on 2/3/2014 and am so glad to have found this thread!

Is it weird that I'm not experiencing any fear? I feel nothing but complete excitement- except for the pre-op diet piece.

Part of me wants to stay at my BFF's house (she lives down the street) and have her be my food police.

Either that or start semi-starving myself the day after Christmas as "practice" and allow that to "break me in" to the concept of eating almost nothing...

I'm anticipating getting my sleeve done with Dr. Ortiz on 2/3/2014 and am so glad to have found this thread! Is it weird that I'm not experiencing any fear? I feel nothing but complete excitement- except for the pre-op diet piece. Part of me wants to stay at my BFF's house (she lives down the street) and have her be my food police. Either that or start semi-starving myself the day after Christmas as "practice" and allow that to "break me in" to the concept of eating almost nothing...

I don't think it's weird. I feel the same way, I'm scheduled for 2/17/14. I think because I've done so much research and read about all of the experiences of everyone on here, I feel prepared as to what to expect. I'm just wishing February would hurry on up and get here :) I've started preparing myself now with little things- such as making sure I take my Vitamins everyday, drinking my Water, and I drink a Protein smoothie everyday for Breakfast.< /p>

It is very exciting isn't it! I can't wait to start my new life. I have my scheduled for Dec 30th. One heck of a new year/new life.

It is very exciting isn't it! I can't wait to start my new life. I have my scheduled for Dec 30th. One heck of a new year/new life.

<p>Hi Ladies - I need your help/advice.</p> <p> </p> <p>I just got a promotion at work (yay!) and my surgery is scheduled for Dec.4th. I told my company I was getting surgery, but said it was for hiatal hernia. I said I'd need 1 week off for surgery but I could work a few hours per day the following week and should be good to work again, week 3. I said this because even though I travel a lot (at least once per month), I work from a home office and things usually slow down in December (which is why I chose Dec.4th as my surgery date). BUT due to the new promotion, I am being asked to fly to head office for training 2 weeks after surgery. The flight is 5hrs each way and training is over 2 days. My brain needs to be "on" so I can learn what they need me to learn in a short period of time.</p> <p> </p> <p>My questions to you guys (especially to those post surgery):</p> <p>-Is it unrealistic to think I could travel 2 weeks after surgery and be alert enough to retain a bunch of training that is key to my new role?</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm most concerned about being alert enough to absorb the material I'm being taught and organizing the post-op diet for the plane, hotel, and days at head office. I also read about people rejecting food (getting sick) and that scares me :(</p> <p> </p> <p>Help?</p>

First congrats on your promotion! I'm assuming your training will be 8 hour days, but I don't know if it's typical training where you're sitting all day. You do get tired some days in the beginning but everyone is different. Also know that when you drink/eat, you're what I call "noisy"- airy and burpy. I still pat myself on my chest when I drink/eat sometimes and apologize to people around me for my "noise". People don't seem to hear it as much as I think they do though.

I think it's really hard to focus when you have to sit through those all day training sessions under normal circumstances. You could always buy one of those recorders we used in college so you can review it later on your own time. During that time you will be on full liquids.< /p>

Thanks b2b!

I decided to push back a bit with work. The surgery was scheduled before training and I specifically chose the first week of December because I don't usually don't have customer meetings or need to travel in December. I let them know I could do the training, but that I would conference in.

I feel 100% better now. At one point I decided I would postpone the surgery and went off the pre-op diet. But today, I paid the remainder of my fees and talked to the nutritionist who said to jump back on pre-op asap and try to lose 11lbs before next Wednesday. Not sure if I'll be able to do it, but I will exercise more and follow everything exactly.

Thanks for the support!

<p>I tried to only tell the people that would support me. but i couldn't keep this experience from my parents. when i told my mom i had to talk to her a few times before she would even bother to listen...my mom was one of the most important people in my life that i needed to know, i really wanted her to come with me, but she was the first person who was against me having surgery. then there is my dad who listened to my reasoning and still cant comprehend as to why i wouldn't just flick a switch and become skinny. at that point my husband was the only person on my side, and completely 100% on my side, which i couldn't be more thankful for...he has been so proactive in helping me reach my goal, and putting this surgery before anything else that important in his life because he knows its important for me. so the two of us are headed down to mexico at the end of December so i can finally have this surgery. </p> <p> </p> <p>then there is my boss. i had no intentions of telling her. but when i realized that when going back to work a week after the surgery, i would probably have to take it easy. Im a hairdresser and i couldn't imagine that a week after surgery i would be at 100% for my clients. so when i let her know she jumped at the chance to tell me that getting the sleeve wasn't for me and why wouldn't i try something like weight watchers?....</p> <p> </p> <p>I just dont think any of them can comprehend why i want to do this, i think you only understand when you yourself have been in the situation where diet and exercise is not necessarily the answer...sorry for the long rant, but i fell like you guys all understand what im going through. All of you are such an awesome group of people and are all so inspiring. I appreciate all of you for sharing your stories, positives and negatives :)</p>

First off, I'm so glad your hubby is completely on board- he's the person that's in the house with you and will be the person you really need on your side. As far as the other people in your life, they can have a seat. Your adult choices-especially ones you're making to benefit your health- are none of their business, especially your boss! How does she know what's right for you? Has she been a friend your whole life and is she there through all your weight struggles? On top of that- this sleeve is NOT easy. It's easier to do weight watchers and have a day where you "cheat" then get back on the wagon. But what would happen-your weight would continue to fluctuate up and down and you would be in the same position or worse this time next year. Right now if I didn't have my sleeve and I was doing some other program, I GUARANTEE I would've cheated and had something I wasn't supposed to. Having the sleeve and knowing something may possibly make me sick is deterrent enough for me- that was part of my personal reasons for getting the sleeve in addition to weight loss and having something in place to help me keep off/ control weight gain long term. The people who are saying these things to you should do some research on the sleeve before they chime in on what you should/shouldn't be doing. I would be willing to bet if you countered their opinion by asking them what they know about the surgery they couldn't even tell you what it is.

And for sure the weight doesn't just fall off- you still have to work out to see good progress. Your supposed to exercise 60-90 minutes daily with this in addition to trying to drink all your Water, all your Protein, and take all the Vitamins. Some people get the surgery and lose a small amount of weight and then nothing else (now that we're all together, I came upon a sleeve to bypass revision thread). Easy- I definitely don't think so.

You could not be more correct barb! I shouldn't be letting these people who dont fully understand my situation try and use there opinions to change my mind, when exactly they have no idea what the surgery or the future of someone having a sleeve done entails! but thats why its soo nice having other people who understand your situation to talk to!   

so my next question would be have any of you tried  progressive veg essentials? what are your takes on vegan shakes or non whey protien shakes. Im curious what all of you guys think of them?!

Hey Guys!

Are we allowed broth on the pre op?

Mb, I use Vega shakes all the time and love them. Not overly sweet.

K I gotta question girls. I'm on day 24 and me an hubby went away for a 4 day weekend. They upgraded our room to a jacuzzi suite!!! My incisions look healed and I want to use that jacuzzi so bad! How long did you all wait to take a bath? I'm think I'm okay... I just want to be sure.

Hey Mb,

I should have clarified that I haven't been sleeved yet (next week).

I would just send an email to the nutritionist and ask her tho. She will have options for you.

Congrats Derby!! Hope you and you group are doing well :)

MOTM- I couldn't imagine doing both!! What are you taking for pain for your mouth?

Liquid extra strength Advil. It's keeping the pain at bay, but I feel so weak and useless! And he pulled more teeth than I signed up for. The roots were so long in the healthy top wisdom teeth that it opened up a gap between my mouth and sinuses. That's probably the worse part. Plus I was having trouble keeping hydrated enough in the first place with me surgery, now its even harder *facepalm*

Mouse be careful with the Motrin. They didn't want us taking it preop and I don't think postop. I would switch to the liquid Tylenol as soon as you can. Hope you're feeling better.

Odd question, can we have brussel sprouts pre-op?  The handout says leafy greens, not sure if this is limited to lettuce and such.  I start pre op on Sunday, the time sort of got away from me.  I haven't had time to ask the nutritionist.

Thanks!

Did everyone one use enspira protien pre and post op? Or do you have suggestions