Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your TRUE weight loss goal?

I spent most of my life thin and the last 15 years over weight. In high school I was too thin at 98lbs and a size 0 but I could not gain weight no matter what my doctors or parents tried. I did eat. As an older adult after having my first child my weight settled in the 120's that was a good weight area for me although on the low end of the BMI scale.

I have set my goal at 130 because I feel it is reasonable and easy to reach.

I am currently a size 6 or 8 but can tell I can lose more and need to tone up quite a bit. Lots of flabby places.

I could go below 130 but I am not worried about that. If my body decides that is what i wants I am ok with it.

My ultimate goal is to get strong again. Strong enough to haul my body up a mountain or through caves. Strong enough to lift my own weight. I want to be able to climb a mountain all day and carry my own gear for camping in a pack on my back again. I want to be able to row a kayake all day in the ocean and look amazing doing all of it.

This is a good topic. I am 5'0" and I have lost about 45 pounds since my WLS six months ago. I would like to lose approximately 20 pounds more, which would put me at somewhere between 120-125 pounds. I don't think going any further than that would look good on me. But OTOH I'm like you, lipstick lady, I'm kind of like, how am I going to know until I get there? Right now I'm just shooting for the upper end of a "normal" BMI. Hell, I was so ecstatic to be out of the "obese" range and into the "merely overweight" range!

I've kind of stalled for a few weeks but I have to admit I haven't been great with working out. (It didn't help that I've had a horrible upper respiratory infection this month, so even just walking the dogs is a PITA, lung-wise.) I know if I get back on the exercise wagon and get consistent with logging my food intake the weight will start dropping off again. I have to say though, I'm just so happy to be in regular sizes again (even single digits in pants! hallelujah!) that I haven't been freaking out about this stall. Even if I never lost another pound, I look and feel 100x better than I did a year ago. And I know I will never be that miserable again. So yes, while I still have an end goal in mind, I'm quite content with where I am at this moment.

Aaahhh ... my true weight loss goal?

To be healthy and strong enough to work toward and achieve any goals I set. That includes physical goals, lifestyle goals, career goals, avocational goals, life with family and friends, and (as they say about people going through physical rehab) just plain old activities of daily living.

I've already reached my weight loss goal and, in a lot of ways, feel like I'm going through physical rehab. Now I have a new body I'm working on making stronger and more able.

At first my surgeon set the goal weight for me (according to the BMI under 25) to 110 lbs but after 6 months check up I was at 132 lbs and he decided I don't have to go down to 110 anymore because he said my body now is in 'normal' shape. So he told me to lose until 130-125 lbs and it should be enough. He said he doesn't want me to be too skinny (which might make me sick again).

Now when I'm only 1 lbs away from my new goal weight, I don't care much about losing anymore. Actually it's been a while that I feel this way because since a few months I've been in the size M clothes, now I fit in XS - size 4 but I'm more comfortble in size S. I don't want to look skinny!!! I only want to look strong and fit. Luckily, I don't have a lot of saggy skin, just around the inner thights and upper arms, so now I only exercise to work on muscles and my skin, not to lose more weight or sizes. Though the exercises might make me lose more, I think my true goal weight must be around 110-120 lbs.

To be at a size and weight where I can shop in "regular" clothing stores.

To be at a point of health where I can safely conceive, carry and deliver babies.

To be able to run around and be active and play with forementioned babies as they grow up.

I set my goal weight as 150, but truthfully I just want my BMI and body fat % in a healthy range that my doctor and I both agree with.

My goal of 150 is what I was in high school and I wanted with all my heart to get back to that. Of course I wanted to be healthy for all the reasons you have mentioned but because I suffer from osteoarthritis so bad I hoped that the extra pounds lost would help and surprisingly it has. While I do still experience pain all over I haven't been on prescribed medications since way before my surgery over 4 years ago. My doctor's goal for me; however, was 134 and I thought he was crazy because I didn't see that obtainable for me and if you see my ticker I'll be darn if I didn't reach his goal and surpassed it by two pounds. I couldn't believe it. I am finally what is considered a normal bmi and after all these years I'm in between a size 6 and 8. I just wanted to get back in my size twelve like in high school. I NEVER IMAGINED BEING IN A SINGLE DIGIT. It truly blows my mind. I totally hear you in regards to seeing how others view themselves after reaching their goal. Being healthy doesn't mean being super skinny either. I still consider myself a big girl even though my clothing size may say otherwise. Great post.

Get rid of the pain in my knees and ankles...check

Have normal BP....check

Hop up in the saddle without having to find a rock or log to climb on....check

Look hot in jeans and boots...check

Walk and hike and ski and climb hills and stairs without getting out of breath...check

Be able to shop for cute clothes in regular stores...check

Feel good about going out in public and know I'm not the biggest one in the room....check.

Look hard and ripped in a sports bra or tank top....check

Never have to be on a diet again....check!!!