Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biggest surprise/regrets after surgery?

Hi. I am still pre-op so I am wondering what regrets people might have once they have been through it? Or maybe what surprised you the most about life after surgery? Thanks for the posts, I just want to be very sure I know what I'm getting into.

I was surprised by how emotional I was afterwards. It only lasted about a week - but in that week I genuinely worried that I was developing depression. I felt sort of out of my own mind - it's difficult to describe, but I definitely didn't feel myself, and sometimes I just burst into tears.

I also regretted the surgery for the first two or even three weeks. I still have moments of regret when I think of all the yummy food I used to eat. Some posters talk about how their tastes changes when they had surgery, and they couldn't even look at the foods they used to love. Not me - from the day after surgery, I desperately craved all of the unhealthy foods I used to love. I still do to an extent, although being on soft solid food had helped with those cravings. Hopefully moving on to full solids will help even more.

Honestly? I was surprised how hard I still have to work to get the weight off. Yeah, at first it comes off pretty easily and steadily, but after a certain amount of time it really is all on you to use the tool you were given to its full advantage. The other thing that surprised me was realizing the complicated relationship I had with food, and the head games that can play on you sometimes.

Regrets? During some hard times,(stalls, slow losing, head hunger) yeah, I can say I had a few. But I am a realist with a little pessimist sprinkled in, so that's my nature. But I can also honestly tell you this has made me a better person all the way around. Yes I've lost weight and can see the goal line on the horizon, but I'm also more disciplined about exercise, and I can honestly say food isn't such a huge deal to me anymore, and that's very freeing. I'm pushing 48, and feel like I did in my 30's. I look and feel amazing. All of that is thanks to the Sleeve. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and keep us posted!

Edited by Babbs

First and foremost, I have never had a single second of regret. Despite the stricture, the constant nauseated feeling I had for the first few weeks (meds fixed that), my inability to drink plain Water (still! almost 2 years out!), and the constant diarrhea (still! almost 2 years out!).

That's all the bad stuff, all completely tolerable as it replaced the constant guilt for cheating on whatever diet I was on at the moment. The gassy, bloated feeling I had from whatever "bad" foods I had gorged on that day. The dread I felt about stepping on the scale.

My size 8 wardrobe has replaced my size 20. Brightly colored clothes have replaced most of the black in my closet. Heels are comfortable now. I may have poop Soup, but I no longer have to wait for the handicapped stall because a regular stall is too small. I was able to do any exercise I wanted before, but now I can exercise without sweating profusely the moment I start, I can breath comfortably, I don't have to stop to "get a rock out of my shoe". I no longer wear capri pants when it's cold outside because they are the only pants I could find that fit. I don't care if my hair and makeup is perfect and I can go out in workout clothes because I no longer feel as if I look like the fat lady who just didn't give a ****.

I can eat in public without being self conscious. I don't feel the constant stares (all in my imagination, I'm sure) when I walk through a mall full of teens. I am no longer the fat mom. Hell, I am no longer the fattest person in the room, hoping someone fatter will show up. (Ha! It's been so long, I've forgotten about that until this very second.) I thought I would miss food. I don't. I don't miss the fat lady stores, I don't miss buying wide shoes, I don't miss the looks when I get on an airplane, bus, train or theater -- you know, that look that says, " PLEASE don't sit next to me!!".

No, no regrets. The little blips on the radar are were all worth it. I am most surprised about how much I was fooling myself when I thought I looked and felt great. Let me tell you, it's was nothing like I look and feel now.

@@LipstickLady - you have nailed all of those feelings I have now. Maybe one day I feel like you do now. Thanks for saying exactly what you feel. I don't hold back either and I enjoy your posts too.

Hello, I am only 4 days out from surgery so am not an expert on this but I have to tell you I was very ready emotionally and mentally for the procedure. I am a positive thinker so I haven't experienced regret or longing for foods at this time. I am trying to figure out when I am really hungry or eating because I know I need to keep the nutrients coming. Since I am in the puree stage I'm being very creative so I am not feeling deprived at this point. I am actually surprised at how good I feel with the only discomfort occasionally being the suture sites which I manage with liquid panadol. This morning I strolled for 15 minutes (will check fitbit later for number of steps taken) and will do this again 2 more time during the day. From day one at home I created a routine of making my bed, showering, fixing my hair and make-up, straighten up the house and created a schedule that isn't filled with TV. I am thinking this healing time could potentially be boring so want to have a loose schedule of how my day will look week one and two, e.g., internet time, reading, walking, music, TV/movie, meditating, visitors and phone chats, meals and getting lots of hydration. It's a gift and journey I welcome and want to make the most of this healthy life opportunity.

smf8369...the only thing I know about stalls is what I have read. 1) the scale is not the only indicator of weight loss so try not to weigh too often. Do you track inches lost from various key parts of your body? 2) I was given good advice regarding this surgery and the aftermath;

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate

Protein, Protein, Protein (keep sugars very low)

Move, Move, Move

Apparently when following this closely you can get a jump start to dropping pounds again. Let me know how you fare. xxx

I am with Babbs. I am extremely surprised at how hard it is to keep losing weight. I have been stalled at 68 lbs lost for a month now and very frustrated. I only ate 800 calories yesterday because I am sick (cold or flu, not sure) but I have been averaging around 1000 and can't get the scale moving! At first it is very easy to lose, but it gets harder as you go along. Hopefully, I will be able to break this stall soon. Good luck to you on your journey!

I know you're sick right now, but you might want to consider changing up your exercise routine if you have one. More short high intensity workouts is what helped break my stall at 6 months finally. If you aren't really exercising, I would suggest starting and working up a sweat. That and upping calories and Protein should help :)

Biggest surprise for me was the emotions, dealing with the head hunger, and acne. My skin has been clear forever but I've been breaking out ever since I had the surgery. They say it's normal but I hate it. Also, I am exhausted. I work a lot of hours but I am surprised at my lack of stamina. I am having to dig very deep to drag myself to the gym after work. And the weight does not just fall off - at least for me. I have to work at it every day. Also, how disheartening it is when the scale doesn't move. That's tough too.

If I had to do it all over again, I would. There are days where for some reason everything makes me sick...I have become an expert puker, which never used to be the case. Sometimes I am frustrated that I can't just sit down and enjoy a meal anymore, especially with people who question why I'm not eating (only 3 people know I had the surgery). I'm really careful about how I plan dates with people I don't know well enough to know that food makes me sick, and sometimes while I'm barfing, toilet Water splashes me in the face, and that kind of blows.

Two days ago though I hit my goal weight...a weight I haven't been at since I was 18. As of today, I am still at that weight, which is a little exciting, since I usually drop and then gain a pound back for a little while. There is no one who can call me fat anymore, I fit in all size small clothes, and I am no longer ashamed to be seen in public. I am 100% sure that without the sleeve I could never have lost this much weight- I quite simply eat too much and the sleeve prevents that. So, there are points that I am a little frustrated with myself for not being able to eat small portions like a normal person, but I would make the decision to have the sleeve all over again every single day.

The biggest surprise I have had after surgery was how adventurous I would feel and how excited I am to pursue outdoor activities and go to the gym.

I have been thin twice before; once as a child/teenager and the second was for a brief time in my early 30's. So I knew how good it would feel to be able to wear normal size clothes, fit into restaurant booths, ride amusement park rides,etc.

I am completely shocked that now I love to hike outside, Zip lining, kayaking, looking forward to camping. I am looking forward to seeing my body get stronger and fitter. It's so crazy because I have always been a prissy girly girl who never wanted to sweat or do outdoor stuff. Now I say bring it on- I am stepping outside my comfort zone every chance I get and I love it!!

Overall quality of life. I am almost 4 months out. My biggest surprise is how quickly I reached my "minimum goals" for my overall quality of life. Even though I am only about halfway to the ultimate weight loss "goal," I am already so much more comfortable in my own skin. I now look "average" not huge and I can fit in chairs and bathrooms and look decent in clothes. My BP is better and I do not hurt like used to. Although I'd like to lose more, if I didn't, I would still be okay because I can move okay and function normally in the world again. For me, it is important to acknowledge how far I've come already so I do not get caught up in what could be an elusive goal of a number on a scale. The only "symptom" I did not expect was how dry my facial skin would get, but, that's just a matter of updating my moisturizer. But being able to feel pretty again -- and feel good again -- and just "fitting in" again: priceless.

Good luck!

Surgeon. His office staff (a few of them). Complications were one thing, but they turned out to be the bigger thorn.

Biggest surprise was how well the phased diet plans worked for both weight loss and a safe surgery recovery. The different stages really eased me back into solid foods. My second biggest surprise is that I'm completely satisfied with 4-4.5 oz of food at a time.

No regrets, except that this wasn't available 20 years ago.

@@AvaFern

Rock on, girlfriend! Congrats on hitting your goal weight!