Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venting About Poor Forum Etiquette

I can let the grammar and spelling go, it's a big world out there and the doors here are wide open. So you're going to read posts from many people from many different backgrounds, etc.

There is one thing that I have noticed, and I wanted to point it out but wasn't sure where. So I'll put it here...

Is it me, or am I reading the same post over and over again, posted different places on different days, and perhaps by different people??

And they all have post counts of less than 8....

I just read a post 10 minutes ago, and I could swear I read that same post, a slight variation, last week.

@@liannatx

As you see from my previous post, I use them too.....

THERE I GO AGAIN.....

Oh, I am also notorious for using "quotes" for emphasis. Right or wrong, I loves me some "emphasis quotes"!

I use ... way too much, too. And I list things like this/that/those/these all the time. HA! I do cringe at improperly used "" (sorry!) and I put side thoughts in parenthesis.

I write like I talk. Oddly, I am a published author so I should know better.

@@LipstickLady I'm so impressed! What did you publish? Let's see!

Oh, we probably hate it when people hi jack threads, too.

I will get this off my chest.... I use ellipses in almost any paragraph. See, I have already done it. I know it is not always grammatically correct, but I have always written this way. I usually have proper verb tense, decent spelling, and complete sentences... but those little dots just work their way into almost anything I write. I hope this isn't bad enough to not have my posts read or answered.

Is the plural of ellipsis even ellipses? Hmm...

I read somewhere that Jackie Kennedy, who was well educated and certainly an expert on etiquette, used dashes a lot in her writing. I actually prefer them to commas - they're kind of like a pause but don't deserve a period.

@@LipstickLady I'm so impressed! What did you publish? Let's see!

Oh, we probably hate it when people hi jack threads, too.

Eh. It definitely sounds more impressive than it is. A bit pompous, too, I'll admit. I thought that as soon as I hit enter. Urp!

Industry specific stuff for my business, motivational speaking stuff (of the "get off your ass, stop whining and get shit done" variety), and training manuals, again industry specific. Snore city. I promise.

I like these:

: ....... ------- < >

Much more interesting than the proper punctuation. ^5

I'm from Italy and my English is not very good. I'm in this blog to get help and share my experience so I'm sorry if I make grammar mistakes.

I use this blog to vent about frustrations or struggles. Maybe help someone you feels down.

@@foodfighter78 Don't feel sorry I understood every bit of what you just said and I don't even speak Italian!!! ;) ha! ;):)

I agreeded. Bad grammur and speling r the route of all evul. It makes I go nut just thunking around that!

Warning, this post may contain extreme sarcasm.

@@LipstickLady

That awful font.

My rant is not terribly serious, but I really cannot tolerate reading the pink cursive font. For the love of -whatever- please show some mercy on my eyes. :-)

Edited by no onions

OP, I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree to a certain extent. For me, it's not so much the small mistakes, it's the major mistakes that make someone's post difficult to read. In some cases, the posts are so difficult to parse that by the time I've finished attempting to figure out what they're trying to ask/say, I don't remember the original topic. I hate to say it, but sometimes, I just take one look and hit the back button.

I don't have a problem with an ellipsis or two, since I also use them. I have seen people that put one at the end of every single sentence in place of other punctuation, though, and that drives me up a wall.

I've been posting on this board for 9 years now. Things are not going to change.

I've learned to tolerate almost anything. The only thing I have a hard time tolerating are the walls of text.

Please put a space between thoughts. That is not that hard. It's really hard to read a post that has no spaces at all anywhere, and it's a very long post. I have to ignore those.

@@Oregondaisy ...

Wow! Nine years on this board must be a record.

I'm from Italy and my English is not very good. I'm in this blog to get help and share my experience so I'm sorry if I make grammar mistakes.

I use this blog to vent about frustrations or struggles. Maybe help someone you feels down.

Exactly! it's a big world and I wish I had the good manners to post in Italian as good as you do in English if the situation was reversed.

Last thing we need is a bunch of people looking down their noses and instead of paying attention to what someone is saying, they are critiqued and graded on how well,or not, they say it.

I'm not their teacher or mother. I'm here to offer my experience with WLS....so you can talk to me. I will listen.

I saw 6 patients and their families yesterday....2 were Spanish and needed interpreters,,,,and one family was from India.

The father from India is a big shot engineer that makes our education system look silly.! But if he posted here he would be slammed because he did not use commas in the right place and because of his English spelling....

I can say people from the south have bad grammar...does that mean I won't talk to them? How about Aussies? Are thy to be ignored also? Asians? Those that are dirt poor and have no education?

Perhaps we can institute some sort of questionnaire before we let people join this group of the "Elite"

There...that's my rant. My forum etiquette beef is all the self proclaimed experts trying to make themselves feel better than the next person....I get it...you're wonderful...you're perfect! I bow down to your ivory tower!

Just share your weight loss successes and experiences ( if you have any) with others who come here to glean information.