Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venting About Poor Forum Etiquette

Gee gads batman. Maybe Alex needs to set up an editing staff so that all those people will be edited! And their grammar mistakes would be cleaned up and their words properly placed for your sensitive eyes. Laugh out loud!

No wait a minute I have read grammar errors and spelling errors even after editors are finished with the writings of someone. Oh to be so perfect!

And by the way your thread has been on this site before. Complaining about the same things!

Also there were situations that came up for me personally that there was no answer for. They had to create answers for me to survive. So not every thing can be researched on here or the internet about weight loss surgery.

I only hope that I have made some grammar mistakes as well!

@@une nouvelle vie

Ok Ok calm down... you're partially right. I was wrong to jump on you like that and I am sorry (see I can be pleasant).

However, I don't understand people that go out of their way to post that they don't post here anymore because of what they're reading. If it offends you so much, why would you take the time to respond? I'm not being rhetorical, I would genuinely appreciate input on why people jump into threads just to complain about the person complaining and tell everyone that is the reason they don't frequent this site anymore. This is very relevant to my first topic of jumping in for the sake of attention. That may not be the case but it's how it appears to me.

Yes, I complained about a very unimportant factor in an online community. I was venting because I had read another thread where the OP was being badgered about their opinion because someone was offended even though the original post had nothing to do with what they were offended by. And while I was venting I laid it all out there. Now everyone may think I'm a grammar tyrant but that's not the case. I am seriously only referring to the post that are full of blatant laziness and lack of self respect for the way they are presented in an online community. I believe I have said that a few times in this thread already (or some variation thereof).

I stand by my statement that ignorance is not an excuse. I do mean genuine ignorance by those that have the ability to learn but are too lazy to do so. Disabilities, second language, mental barriers, I'm not referring to any of those. As a matter of fact, that is the reason I would never dare say something to someone outside of a vent in the appropriate section.

Calm down? I assure you I'm not even in the slightest bit upset. It's not worth it to get upset about people I don't have to interact with in real life.

Why did I respond? I liked what Emma had to say so I gave her a compliment and used her call for kindness to explain my own view on the site and explained to her my experience it and why I'm here less frequently. Why would I take the time to respond? To have a conversation with Emma and exchange ideas with her. So you think that means I'm doing it for attention as per your rant? I promise you that how it appears to you does not factor into my decisions on what I post and knowing now that you see it that way still doesn't change that for me although I do find it curious that you think the reason people are posting is to seek attention. Not a rhetorical question: is that why you post things, for attention? That is the only reason I can think of that you'd assume that to be anyone else's motivation.

I'll take a pass on elaborating on the rest of your post but you have a lovely day.

Now if you want to rant about that cursive font, I'm all over that. :D

OMG Cursive fonts, and unreadable fancy fonts drive me up a wall! That's the one thing that makes me hit the back button as fast as I can.

Now if you want to rant about that cursive font, I'm all over that. :D

OMG Cursive fonts, and unreadable fancy fonts drive me up a wall! That's the one thing that makes me hit the back button as fast as I can.

I refuse to even try to read those.

Disabilities, second language, mental barriers, I'm not referring to any of those.

So on an online forum, how do you know? :D

I wouldn't which is why I wouldn't call out anyone specifically.

I don't think anyone is understanding which posts I'm referring to. I thought people would actually read and relate to the example I made up. This was not about grammar in general. It was about a very specific type of post that blatantly disregards the English language out of sheer laziness.

"Lose" and "loose" are different words. B)

lose

lo͞oz/

verb

1. be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).

"I've lost my appetite"

synonyms: be deprived of, suffer the loss of;

no longer have

"he's lost a lot of blood"

2. become unable to find (something or someone).

"I've lost the car keys"

synonyms: mislay, misplace, be unable to find, lose track of, leave (behind), fail to keep/retain, fail to keep sight of

"I've lost my watch"

loose

lo͞os/

adjective

1. not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.

"a loose tooth"

synonyms: not fixed in place, not secure, unsecured, unattached; More

2. (of a garment) not fitting tightly or closely.

"she slipped into a loose T-shirt and shorts"

synonyms: baggy, generously cut, slack, roomy;

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I understand your frustration with some of these things but in my opinion if you don't like something someone does and says and it is not bothering you physically or mentally it is best to just move on. Not all people are going to live up to your expectations and it is unfair for anyone to expect perfection. This is an open forum and it should be a forum of support and not judgement. There are things in life that just need to be at the bottom of the list of importance. You are free to rant and I respect you for that, I just hope that your rant did not run someone off because they feel as though they are not as educated as others. People should have the freedom to come and ask as many questions as they want without the fear of someone being critical of them. Bottom line....Choose being kind to be an example to someone that may need YOU right now. Sometimes it is not all about us and our hangups.

I love how you claim to want a conversation with Emma yet you quoted me. I guess it's a good reminder of why I don't offer apologies easily. The person receiving them rarely takes the time to consider what has been said.

You are absolutely correct about everyone here is seeking attention to an extent. I'll say it again, doesn't matter what you say, it's how you say it. If you'd like self-righteous attention for calling me out on wasting precious internet space complaining about grammar, then go ahead, you got it.

I would have preferred more intelligent conversation such as the topics about cultural differences or interpreting disabilities in an online forum. Now those have potential for great conversation. As for taking the time to vent in the first place, it occupied me when I had free time. That free time is done so I do hope everyone has a great day. Thanks to those of you that took a minute to consider what was said and intended.

Wow! This has been been quite the thread. I don't think I've been in Rants and Raves before.

What about all those sentences ending in a preposition?? :)

@@LipstickLady - you are right on!!

I suppose I'll quit changing the font of what I type since so many of you won't want to read the comment. Since I have to use basic, standard fonts all day long, I like to change to something more "fun" (for me) when writing non-work related communications.

Wish I could stay, but it's time to get back to work.........

Sorry to read that you feel so strongly about forum etiquette on a forum where people are meant to come together to support one another for their weight loss surgery issues. The last thing most people are thinking/worried about is "omg did i spell that right? OR omg I should have used a comma" (just examples). Has it occurred to you that maybe, people are used to using text lingo because they may be using the mobile app and as such it's a lot easier to do? As well as other reasons given by other posters ie some people are not computer savvy, english being second language etc.

I personally think that you are sweating the small stuff, if these little things bother you "that" much, maybe take a little break from the internet and go for a walk, get some air /shrug.

I have to admit that I sometimes find myself tsk tsking to myself about other people's spelling, grammar and netspeak. However, I agree that my mild irritation is not worth commenting on out loud. Communication is the important thing, not the form. I enjoy using slang and modernisms, and I have been chagrined to re-read my own postings and find words omitted and errors in spelling. Younger people are used to text-speak and tend to use that form for all their informal communications. I shouldn't get all "stay off my lawn" about it.

The point that I want to disagree with is that people should add comments to existing threads about common topics rather than starting their own. Firstly, as has been pointed out above, we don't all have the same knowledge about this website and may not know how to use the search function. And secondly, starting your own thread is a way of asking for help. You will probably get different (and more) responses from your own thread than you will from adding to an existing one. I agree that it is more convenient for us readers when all of the answers are in one thread, but I think the enhanced ability to connect to others and receive support outweighs that benefit.

Everyone becomes an offended party for somewhat different reasons. Whether it be a perception issue, or an incorrect tone used in the writing of a post. However my own pet peeve, if you will , is people who complain about other people complaining.

If you do not like a post, or the grammar used in said post, then do not read it. The choice is yours, whether or not to read it, it is not up to you to require others to post in a manner that you like and feel comfortable with.

This is not formal dining, nor is it a rational discourse on the human condition. It is an internet forum, and while openly acerbic, demeaning and/or expletive-laced insults, are not tolerated by those in power. There is leeway for somewhat contentious dialogue however.

In the words of comedian Edward Murphy, "this ain't Burger King, You don't get it your way, you take what you get, or you don't get the Mother****** ." I trust this is a rational answer to your rant.

Thank you. And have a wonderful day.

wow..I am having a "compulsive moment" here! I can not believe I read this thread! lol...it was like a car wreck I couldn't take my eyes off! haha...I'm throwing my 2 cents in and I don't care if anyone is looking out for grammer or improper puncuation marks but I just want to mention which I read on another post I have family members who are dyslexic and bc of the stigma (yes I abbreviated a word) went through life and is now in the 70's age to this day never went to get help and when they even mentioned it yrs ago to get help well it didn't happen. to this day they are soo self conscience it has taken a toll . I understand this is a "rant" thread. we all need to rant at times, and I know no one cares what I think but there is other issues to me that are worse off. I am no where near perfect and I will admit I am one that pops in and I have noticed that especially when I intend to write the word "and" it almost never fails "an" gets copied! AND if that bugs someone to no end then I don't know what to say about that other then "get real". lordy lordy...thats my 2 cents..haha..my rants over! OH I almost forgot..I am a txt'r and if I am in a hurry uh yea I do abbr alot! so if it bugs anyone just keep scrolling! bc it's not changing here..:) just sayin! now carry on. I'm going to scroll and see if there's any other new comments on this thread..:) and 1 more thing for newbie's..glad your here! :)