Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venting About Poor Forum Etiquette

Authoritative opinions re the use of nauseated / nauseous differ. Consider this opinion of The Chicago Manual of Style:

Edited by VSGAnn2014

I cant really spell naseau or it's various forms. I hate words like that - all these vowels in a random order.

I am not sure why grammar is so important on a self help website, but I am probably in the minority?

I hate when too many people respond to a topic and I'm too lazy to read them all.

:rolleyes:

I also hate when people hijack other peoples' threads.

Which reminds me...I hated the Sopranos finale. Did anyone else?

And Kim Kardashian with blonde hair...I mean REALLY? And why does Kanye always look upset? It all bothers me.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Authoritative opinions re the use of nauseated / nauseous differ. Consider this opinion of The Chicago Manual of Style:

https://twitter.com/ChicagoManual/status/471705283572826113

Interesting, but when it comes to word meanings, I think I'll stick with what the dictionary says. All the dictionaries I've checked agree with Merriam-Webster.

This is one of the words we argue over (in fun) at work, along with regardless/irregardless, sneaked/snuck, and drink/drank/drunk.

Personally, I need logic. ;) Even when it's written " correctly" people still misinterpret. It goes both ways. So your 1st point negates your second point. Also, it takes time to learn the site so some people don't know about questions others have had. As u stated, its a public forum so there should be an understanding that people come from all walks of life and express themselves in all manner of ways.

@@Babbs

I thoroughly enjoyed that clip. Thanks for the link! So very clever and humorous.

The only thing I have a hard time tolerating are the walls of text.

Please put a space between thoughts. That is not that hard. It's really hard to read a post that has no spaces at all anywhere, and it's a very long post. I have to ignore those.

yes, please! While bad grammar and punctuation do grate a bit on me, I can easily ignore that if there is just some space. I'll admit I just backspace out of posts which are 5 inches long on the monitor with no white space. If in doubt, hit return :)

Now, I don't hold it against anyone who's done this; just be aware that it makes it hard for people to read and you may not get answers as quickly.

Edited by drmeow

Please put a space between thoughts. That is not that hard. It's really hard to read a post that has no spaces at all anywhere, and it's a very long post. I have to ignore those.

yes, please! While bad grammar and punctuation do grate a bit on me, I can easily ignore that if there is just some space. I'll admit I just backspace out of posts which are 5 inches long on the monitor with no white space. If in doubt, hit return :)

Now, I don't hold it against anyone who's done this; just be aware that it makes it hard for people to read and you may not get answers as quickly.

Oh, yes..... I skip'em all together.

Every 6 months or so I see a "vent" of this nature. Honestly, it leads me to believe there are times when we all need to step away from our computers and breathe. Let us all focus on getting support when/if we need it. If we feel any type of unnecessary aggression, we need to look within ourselves instead of targeting the nameless, faceless masses here. Use frustration as an impetus to burn off some calories and get on with it.

BTW~I wish Revs would come back. Her rants were always hilarious! ;)

Amy

I hate when too many people respond to a topic and I'm too lazy to read them all.

:rolleyes:

I also hate when people hijack other peoples' threads.

Which reminds me...I hated the Sopranos finale. Did anyone else?

And Kim Kardashian with blonde hair...I mean REALLY? And why does Kanye always look upset? It all bothers me.

Always Vegas--I think I love you!

I agree. If people want their posts to be read, they have to put a space in between thoughts. If they don't know what a new thought is, put a space in anywhere you think it's getting too long!! I can't read walls of text. I am old. I have old eyes.

I am guilty of not capitalizing when I should, purely because I am lazy.

Thank you for the weird Al link. That was hilarious! I had to post it on my Facebook. I have friend who is a grammar fanatic.

Cowgirl Jane and Lipstick lady have the best posts? What am I ? Chopped liver?

I am only kidding. I don't get around the board as much as I should.

It's so nice that this board has grown so much. When I first came on, there were only a few posters. I came straight from LapBandTalk. I could no longer read about band problems once I had mine out.