Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venting About Poor Forum Etiquette

I'm from Italy and my English is not very good. I'm in this blog to get help and share my experience so I'm sorry if I make grammar mistakes.

I use this blog to vent about frustrations or struggles. Maybe help someone you feels down.

Oh! Want me to come visit and mentor you personally? What time should I be there??

@@LipstickLady

That awful font.

My rant is not terribly serious, but I really cannot tolerate reading the pink cursive font. For the love of -whatever- please show some mercy on my eyes. :-)

Oh, for the love of all that is good and holy. Especially on my iPad.

OP, I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree to a certain extent. For me, it's not so much the small mistakes, it's the major mistakes that make someone's post difficult to read. In some cases, the posts are so difficult to parse that by the time I've finished attempting to figure out what they're trying to ask/say, I don't remember the original topic. I hate to say it, but sometimes, I just take one look and hit the back button.

I don't have a problem with an ellipsis or two, since I also use them. I have seen people that put one at the end of every single sentence in place of other punctuation, though, and that drives me up a wall.

THIS is exactly my point, the major stuff that makes it almost impossible to understand what is being asked.

I'd like to also point out to the majority of those that have posted here disagreeing with me, that you must not have read the thread in its entirety or you didn't comprehend what was being discussed. There are actually very few posters here that have responded to what I actually said instead of what they assumed I meant. I think it's hilarious so many people want to tell me that spending 5 minutes writing a vent about something so unimportant as grammar makes me a horrible person. How much time did you take out of your day to respond to something so unimportant?

Personally, if you feel this topic is that important, then perhaps you should take it up as a social obligation to educate everyone on why it is OK to eliminate proper grammar and allow the English language to dissolve.

If you posted about my lack of concern for cultural differences, you obviously missed my response to that.

If you posted about my lack of concern for multiple languages or language barriers, you obviously missed my response to that.

If you posted about people posting new threads for questions that have already been asked, you obviously missed my response to that.

If you posted about cursive fonts, I applaud your attempt at comic relief and agree with you even though I have been guilty at times.

To those of you that actually paid attention to the true points of this thread......I think some of you had some intelligent responses and they definitely give a person a reason to pause and reconsider their view point. I won't say I agree, but I understand your point of view and I don't disagree. Thanks for taking the time to read and provide thoughtful responses.

Edited by beachgurl84

I read the whole darn thing! LOL

I just had to add a quick note about the pink cursive font. UGH! I just don't bother reading those any longer. My eyes must be older than the rest of me because no matter how big I make that post, I can barely read them.

As for the rest of this rant/debate, it is funny that people get so hung up on things that are not important.. The important thing is that we have a place to both give and get support when needed.

Enough said....LOL!

No, I have not read through the entire post but I feel your pain...

You're and Your

Their, there, and they're

I cry at the misuse of these innocent words.... :)

If you make a post on a public forum, you've got to expect discussion.

You may not like what is said, what is focused on or the twists and turns the conversation takes. You may not care for who answers, how they interpret your words, or their reaction to your words.

I'm guilty of taking all of the above personally. I admit it, I own it. Sometimes I have to step back, breathe and remember that once I hit POST, it's not MY thread. The discussion is not about ME personally. The words I don't care for do not affect my REAL life in any way unless I allow them to.

The discussion that ensues is not just for me, it's for everyone that accesses this forum, new, old, short, tall, pink, blue and polka dotted.

When the discussion gets passionate, it simply means people care. No worries, another "hot" thread will come along within a day or so and people will move on.

Bottom line. You can't control people's words and actions, you can only control your own reaction.

Maybe i can stir something up to distract people! ha

I didn't read all this thread but it was a rant. I think sometimes people get just a little too nit picky - I am not talking about the OP but rather the very very very very very detailed responses!

anyway, I decided a long time ago that the root cause of why people refuse to use the "search function" is not due to lack of technical knowledge.

It is for one simple reason... NO ONE ELSE ON THE PLANET HAS EVER FELT WHAT I AM FEELING RIGHT NOW.

You know, in the middle of an emotional experience, the way a person feels is much more important than the facts. It is cathartic for people to type out their own woes (I can't even bear to click on another post about their stall at 3 weeks and how they are the only one who has ever failed with a sleeve... you know, declaring defeat while still on mushies!... but we all seem to need.to.type.it.)

So, I am simply thankful that people title their posts correctly so I can just skip over the subjects I cannot bear to read anymore. :)

When the discussion gets passionate, it simply means people care. No worries, another "hot" thread will come along within a day or so and people will move on.

........Y'all!!! lol..I'm lol over here! :P

@@LipstickLady

Oh my, you addressed some of my personal pet peeves. One I see almost every day on here is the misuse of lose/loose, however, I try as you do to look past these mistakes and remind myself that it's the content that counts.

@@LipstickLady and @@CowgirlJane

I gotta say thanks to both of you not just for your replies in this thread but others I've seen around. Your responses always make sense and add a level of sensibility to the conversation (or comic relief when needed).

While I agree the thread does become available for anyone to twist it to their desires, I do wish people would pay attention before posting. Personal pet peeve I'll just have to live with I guess.

Ok, who's next for the punching bag?

Noted the pink Comic Sans font ^^^

Nice. ;)

@@LipstickLady and @@CowgirlJane

I gotta say thanks to both of you not just for your replies in this thread but others I've seen around. Your responses always make sense and add a level of sensibility to the conversation (or comic relief when needed).

While I agree the thread does become available for anyone to twist it to their desires, I do wish people would pay attention before posting. Personal pet peeve I'll just have to live with I guess.

Ok, who's next for the punching bag?

Girl, I twist a LOT of people and in turn, there are a few that twist my words like a tornado. I consider the source and move on. ;)

Girl, I twist a LOT of people and in turn, there are a few that twist my words like a tornado. I consider the source and move on. ;)

I think my eyes are bleeding now