Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Able to eat puddings, potages, Jello, yogurt. Still hard to drink but a few gulps: my stomach hurts then.

Still weak six days post-op. Is it normal?

Hi There.

Had my surgery Mar 10, 2015, so that makes me a little over 3 weeks post op. I'm feeling great, down 20 pounds after sleeve. I was super excited and amazed. I notice small things, like my bra fits a smidgeon looser on the sides. I am struggling getting in all of my liquids. I do manage to walk 40 mins a day, and feel amazing. I like you struggled day 1 and day 2, but by day 3 was walking for 20 mins on the hospital floor. It will get easier. My biggest problem was attempting to sleep on my back and other side.

Best of luck to you.

I had my surgery 3/9. Things are going pretty well. I am still struggling with fatigue at times, mostly after work and especially towards the end of the work week. The only time I experience any weakness or extreme fatigue is if I haven't eaten anything or had any Protein for an extended period of time, which seems normal.

I am back in the gym which feels great: 2x week right now, 30 minutes each. Next week I'll increase to 45 minutes.

food is going well.. So far, my only issue with food as has been egg yolk, whether it be half of a hard cooked egg or a little scrambled egg, it does not end well so I'll be sticking to egg whites for a while longer. I'm eating a lot of flaky fish (Pinterest has the best recipes!) and potatoes.

My one problem, consumption wise, is with the Protein Shakes. I know these are supposed to be our "life blood"for a while but some days, it can be next to impossible for me to even get one down. I've made all different kinds using additions (sugar and fat free, of course) but it is not easy. I'm excited to hit that six week mark when I can add back in fruits! Hopefully that will make it easier.

I am having a bit of trouble getting my Vitamins down. I've never been a good "pill taker" but now that I can't consume as much Water at once as I'd like, it makes it even harder. I'm looking into the chewables for the Vitamin and Calcium. We'll see if those fair better.

I hope every else is doing well and keep up the hard work!

Looking for some advice/thoughts. I return to work on Monday after 3 weeks off. I work in a very, very large office and told my immediate 2 bosses that I was "having surgery and expected to be off work 2 to 3 weeks". I didn't elaborate at all because it's really none of their business and as it turns out they couldn't keep their mouths shut and told at least one other person on the team who I used to report to who immediately asked me about it. With that I told a few other team members which brings to a total about 15 people that know that I was out for surgery. Post surgery plus the 2 weeks pre-op I have lost 19 pounds which means there is a noticeable weight loss. While that excites me I am also nervous about the questions I will face. I am normally a very open person so it feels awkward to smile and tell everyone I'm doing well and, yes, maybe lost a few pounds while out. Throw in eating 3 oz of cottage cheese for lunch and my cover is blown for sure. I hate the idea of being the topic of gossip. Anyone else out there not wanting to go public with the reason for your leave? How have you handled it? Help.

Your "bosses" broke what I think would have to be a law of some kind. I can't imagine it is okay for the higher up's to tell people why you took off time, especially being medically related. If you work for a corporation or have any sort of corporate structure, I'd check with HR asap.

I had no intentions of telling anyone, except co-workers that I am close with. When others see you eating six teaspoons of applesauce, or walking slower in stretchy pants, it's hard to hide. I try to be honest with people when they ask about my weight loss and most people are either super supportive or just very intrigued. They have a lot of questions about the procedure itself and what you can/can't eat, etc... You can tell them as much or as little as you want to, it's your body and plan. I have yet to have anyone ask me "why" or give me any sort of negativity. My "general" response to people, especially if I don't know them that well is that "I had bariatric surgery. I had some health problems and after discussing it with my doctor(s), we decided this was the best course of action."

Looking for some advice/thoughts. I return to work on Monday after 3 weeks off. I work in a very, very large office and told my immediate 2 bosses that I was "having surgery and expected to be off work 2 to 3 weeks". I didn't elaborate at all because it's really none of their business and as it turns out they couldn't keep their mouths shut and told at least one other person on the team who I used to report to who immediately asked me about it. With that I told a few other team members which brings to a total about 15 people that know that I was out for surgery. Post surgery plus the 2 weeks pre-op I have lost 19 pounds which means there is a noticeable weight loss. While that excites me I am also nervous about the questions I will face. I am normally a very open person so it feels awkward to smile and tell everyone I'm doing well and, yes, maybe lost a few pounds while out. Throw in eating 3 oz of cottage cheese for lunch and my cover is blown for sure. I hate the idea of being the topic of gossip. Anyone else out there not wanting to go public with the reason for your leave? How have you handled it? Help.

Your "bosses" broke what I think would have to be a law of some kind. I can't imagine it is okay for the higher up's to tell people why you took off time, especially being medically related. If you work for a corporation or have any sort of corporate structure, I'd check with HR asap.

I had no intentions of telling anyone, except co-workers that I am close with. When others see you eating six teaspoons of applesauce, or walking slower in stretchy pants, it's hard to hide. I try to be honest with people when they ask about my weight loss and most people are either super supportive or just very intrigued. They have a lot of questions about the procedure itself and what you can/can't eat, etc... You can tell them as much or as little as you want to, it's your body and plan. I have yet to have anyone ask me "why" or give me any sort of negativity. My "general" response to people, especially if I don't know them that well is that "I had bariatric surgery. I had some health problems and after discussing it with my doctor(s), we decided this was the best course of action."

Thanks Megan. Yes, HR was surprised and asked if I'd like to have them do or say anything. But wasn't looking to give my boss another reason to be irritable which she often is. Been back to work for a week and no questions other than whether I'm feeling ok. People are just impressed I'm bringing my lunch. They haven't checked the quantity of food apparently ;-)

Try chewable vitamins... Chewable calcium!

megan kolar

I had my surgery the same day & I have only loss 9-10 lbs. I'm getting really discourage, but I can't stand the Protein Shakes at all! I've been eating more food then I'm expecting , and I'm wondering why am I not losing the weight. Is anyone else feeling the same way as I am?

Edited by ElleTx

megan kolar

I had my surgery the same day & I have only loss 9-10 lbs. I'm getting really discourage, but I can't stand the Protein Shakes at all! I've been eating more food then I'm expecting , and I'm wondering why am I not losing the weight. Is anyone else feeling the same way as I am?

I can understand your frustration. Sounds like a talk with your nutritionist is in order. You said you've gotten back to the gym which is great. At times I'm surprised by my ability to eat (rarely) but as a result I really am measuring everything out. I bought a digital scale. I figure if I'm eating 3 to 3.5 oz then I'm not stretching anything out. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

I had surgery 3/23.. Doing well so far. I have issues with Water consumption & getting enough Protein & timing my Calcium supplements. & I cannot stand the taste of the powder amino acid/protein mix I bought from the office-it's so bitter.. They highly recommended it in addition to Protein Shakes. I've got to figure a way to doctor it up so it's palatable? Anyone try them? We are cleared to eat everything-just starting slowly & well chewed.. It's an adventure figuring things out.. I'm not touching steak though til like the week after or next. Remembering to not drink with food takes a conscious effort.. (& seems so strange?) oh and anyone deal with constipation-what are you doing?

My high was 305

Day of surgery I was 275

And today I'm 262

megan kolar

You should definitely talk to your nut. The Protein is key, as is the liquid. You say you're eating more than you expected. What does a typical day look like for you? How do you feel physically? I was swollen for a few weeks, and that could be halting your loss. Best of luck. Hang in there!

I lost quite some weight so far and I am pleased with the result. Doing about five to ten minutes on treadmill every other day. Walking up and down the two flight of stairs in the house.

Went shopping for after Easter specials: WRONG idea. Came back so tired and weak.

Spent the rest of the day in nightgown.

Talking about clothes: being dressed hurt. Had surgery the 25th and still the wounds hurt where clothes touch them.

Vomiting: the nasty part of my road to recovery so far...ans being constipated up to my eyebrows!

I think I'm going to be a slow loser. 10lbs down in 2 weeks