Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Ok. :car:So today I ran out to the bank and figured I would bring the kids back box of munchkins (I had 5 kids total today - 2 mine and 3 from my best friend).

So...I figure I will have a few myself. Along with my iced coffee of course. WELL. Tonight I went to the Dunkin' Donuts website to see just how many calories those little buggers have.

3 chocolate Munchkins - Calories 200

Fat 10g

Three little ole munchkins that many calories. Just goes to show if I am going to have them next time I better be sure I want that much fat and I better really savor them! :hungry:LOL!

You've had two fills and you were able to eat donuts?!?!? I just had my fill Monday and wayyyy too scared to try breads, but after reading your post the gears in my head (and stomach) are turning!!!!:hungry:

I have only had one fill, but am experiencing the same thing regarding HUNGER and the snack attacks at night - I don't really feel any restriction - in fact, it feels less restricted than before the fill? I can pretty much eat anything, except for doughy bread, and I know it's much more than I should. I can't wait for my next fill to hopefully slow down the momentum some!

I did get up and walk again this a.m. My daughter didn't want to go so I was tempted to back out, but I REALLY want to get in 3 days this week.

Have an AWESOME day! Kim

I continue to be amazed at how little I can eat. I can't even finish off one little 'ole Lean Cuisine. It's been 4 weeks since my fill and I still don't have a handle on Portion Control. Man! What a slow learner I am!! I am beginning to worry that I will stretch this little pouch--gotta be more careful.

Yup. Right on the snoot.

Do you ever swing by southern France? We have a house right on the beach in Narbonne-plage. Wouldn't it be a hoot to "beach-it" together? We rent it out during the really sunny times, but try to get over there 1 - 2 times/year. If you have a second, check out No. 7 Promenade . That's us.

I've always wanted to tour Ireland, but with these stupid/deceptive airfare taxes/fuel tariffs (aka increased ticket prices that the airlines are too chicken s!@t list in the basic ticket price) it's getting harder and harder to just jump the big pond on a whim.

Car

Car: I did check out your place in Narbonne, its beautiful... now what is the exchange on a Euro?? So that I can figure out costs in Canadian $$

Thanks, Peaches9

Brandy

Is your doctor covered under your plan?? Good luck on getting it paid

I got the insurance claim info sheet yesterday for the hospital - 7/17 to 7/19 $64,000 - can you beleive that - Insurance paid $3500 - i gotta pay $300 - the rest is in the twighlight zone - that make no friggin sense - The hospital knows that the insurance is only going to pay $3500 why do they bill $64,000 give me a friggen break... that is TOTALLY out there - I really beleive our health medical system needs some great overhaul..

Do I understand you right? Did your surgery cost $64,000???? That's unbeleivable.

I was thinking the same thing. I had mine done in Boston and it was a mere 28k. I think they must have triple billed it or something! Yikes!

Be thankful :whoo:. Ever so thankful . I can still eat too much even after two fills.:hungry:

ANOTHER THING, I get so darn hungry at night. :hungry: You know like from a couple of hours after dinner until I go to bed. I always need a snack or 2. Anyone else have that problem??? To anyone who takes the time to read this and respond, I thank you :). I know it is kind of long.

BreadLady

I too have the hardest time at nite - in fact i save my snack from the day to eat at night as if i didn't i would be eating way too many calories. I have always been a night eater and so is the rest of my family (my sister isn't overweight) - we WAKE up to eat... Last night before dinner had some watermelon - for dinner 3/4 yellow squash - 1 ck thigh - was full - later ate some more watermelon - ice sandwich - low fat/sugar - woke up at 1 a.m. had some more watermelon. It's like i am a baby and need a full tummy to sleep - I medicate with food to help me sleep - i usually eat sweets & high carb foods at night or should i say during the night - i found that if i ate them (sweet) after 3 a.m. i would be droggie in the morning and have a hard time getting up - (food hang over - anyone ever had one of those:rolleyes:) If i could just sleep thru the night i would loose weight - but i goto bed wake up an hr latter eat something (yogurt - pudding - fudgecicle) then wake up 1 or 2 and do the same thing.

This is why i save my Snacks to eat at night - if i didn't i would not be loosing weight..

Good idea Indo saving Snacks up for the night. Maybe once I get my hunger under control (at proper fill level) I should plan on doing that.

I still need a snack between lunch and dinner. Don't really need one between Breakfast and lunch.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Everybody!!

This is probably gonna be a looooong post but please read it.

I just got my 1st fill about 2 hours ago!!! WOO HOO!!! I'm so happy and excited about it but I had to convince the doctor to do it. He told me that I didn't need it because I was still losing weight at a good rate according to my chart. I had to explain to him that I had hit a plateau since 8/27/07 and that it finally broken with a weight loss of 2 lbs last week. I also had to tell him that I'm going off of almost sheer will power not to stuff myself. He explained that my exercise, what kinds of foods I'm eating, will power, etc. are just as important as the band. His further argument for not giving me a fill was that I have a 4cc band and that later down the line if the band is filled up too fast and I stop losing weight before I reach goal then there will be no where for us to go after that. We went back and forth for about 10 minutes and he finally gave in but he warned me that I should not expect a fill everytime I come in for an appointment. Hey....I got what I wanted so that's fine for now. He also said that with the rate I'm going at he expects that I will indeed reach my goal weight before my band is filled up.

The fill was nothing in terms of pain. The fill doctor felt for my port about 10 times (I asked him if he needed me to raise my legs and he agreed so that he cou;d make sure he was hitting the right spot). He numbed the area with lidocaine (Sp?) and then took a huge needle and did the fill which I didn't feel at all in terms of pain. I did feel like something was changing on the inside of my body when the Dr. was unfilling and then re-filling the band but I can't describe the feeling. It was just a little weird but not bad at all. After I got the fill I asked him if I could drink some Water. I took some small sips but didn't feel a difference. He said that the majority of his patients feel the difference in about 2 weeks. I do notice that I have a little pressure in my back right now (that's how I usually feel after I eat) so its kicking in guys.

Interesting note...

The doctor accessed my port and pulled out .5cc of blue dye and saline. He said that this is what was left in the band after Dr. Geiss, my surgeon, tested the band during surgery. He then put the original .5cc back in then put in an additional .5cc in as my 1st fill. I knew the surgeon had a left a little saline in the band during surgery but I just thought it was a trace amount...not .5cc worth of saline. So now, I have 1cc in my 4 cc band at this point. The fill doctor told me to only think of it as .5cc though. I'm not sure why.

Wlaking record

I walked everyday this week except yesterday. I'm going out for a 45 minute walk after I get off the computer.

ssankofa: The extra 0.5cc is probably what's left in the port and tubing that connects the port to the bladder inside the band. Your band probably only has 0.5 cc's in it

Hey Ruby!!

I just read your Gym post re:the 2 skinny mothers. I'm so proud of you girl! That post brought a tiny tear to my eye. We are just as good as skinny folks and we can do anything we set our minds to.

Hi Everybody!!

I just got my 1st fill about 2 hours ago!!! WOO HOO!!! I'm so happy and excited about it but I had to convince the doctor to do it. He told me that I didn't need it because I was still losing weight at a good rate according to my chart. I had to explain to him that I had hit a plateau since 8/27/07 and that it finally broken with a weight loss of 2 lbs last week. I also had to tell him that I'm going off of almost sheer will power not to stuff myself. He explained that my exercise, what kinds of foods I'm eating, will power, etc. are just as important as the band. His further argument for not giving me a fill was that I have a 4cc band and that later down the line if the band is filled up too fast and I stop losing weight before I reach goal then there will be no where for us to go after that. We went back and forth for about 10 minutes and he finally gave in but he warned me that I should not expect a fill everytime I come in for an appointment. Hey....I got what I wanted so that's fine for now. He also said that with the rate I'm going at he expects that I will indeed reach my goal weight before my band is filled up.

The fill was nothing in terms of pain. The fill doctor felt for my port about 10 times (I asked him if he needed me to raise my legs and he agreed so that he cou;d make sure he was hitting the right spot). He numbed the area with lidocaine (Sp?) and then took a huge needle and did the fill which I didn't feel at all in terms of pain. I did feel like something was changing on the inside of my body when the Dr. was unfilling and then re-filling the band but I can't describe the feeling. It was just a little weird but not bad at all. After I got the fill I asked him if I could drink some Water. I took some small sips but didn't feel a difference. He said that the majority of his patients feel the difference in about 2 weeks. I do notice that I have a little pressure in my back right now (that's how I usually feel after I eat) so its kicking in guys. quote]

Got this off of Welcome to LAP-BAND.com

Check-Ups and Adjustments

It is recommended that surgeons see their patients every four to six weeks during the first year after surgery. Adjustments are performed as needed during these visits. During the first year, many LAP-BAND® patients have five to eight adjustments. Your stomach needs to adjust with you as your body changes. A few people never need an adjustment while others need five or more. It’s all about making sure you are losing weight safely.

Hope this helps some.

I think if you are not losing 1-2 lbs. per week then you should be permitted a fill at your appointment. You spoke up for yourself this time. Next time make sure you do and give him some data to back yourself up. Not that you should have to provide data, but if that is the way the Dr. is going to be then you might as well show up armed with data (your weight loss tracking) and maybe remind him, ever so gently, what the band is for. If you feel you need a fill it's YOUR body.

Best of luck to you.

Lindaa

Thanks for the info. I think you're right. I didn't think about the fact that there coud be liquid in the tubing instead of in the band.

Breadlady

I'm big on self advocacy so all that you just wrote me were put into action during today's visit. It just was written down.

The Dr. told me that he wanted to be conservative about this but I told him point blank, I don't need him to be conservative, I need him to be aggressive when it comes to my weight loss because this HAS TO WORK. Thanks for the encouragement, breadylady. Maybe 1 day I'll start journaling weight watchers style again in order to make my point clear to the doctor.

This band is my tool and I'm putting in the work and I'll be dog gone if those who are getting paid to help me put in the work aren't going to hold up their end of the bargain.

ssankofa: The extra 0.5cc is probably what's left in the port and tubing that connects the port to the bladder inside the band. Your band probably only has 0.5 cc's in it

lindaa- I never thought of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hi Everybody!!

The fill was nothing in terms of pain. The fill doctor felt for my port about 10 times (I asked him if he needed me to raise my legs and he agreed so that he cou;d make sure he was hitting the right spot). He numbed the area with lidocaine (Sp?) and then took a huge needle and did the fill which I didn't feel at all in terms of pain. I did feel like something was changing on the inside of my body when the Dr. was unfilling and then re-filling the band but I can't describe the feeling. It was just a little weird but not bad at all. After I got the fill I asked him if I could drink some Water. I took some small sips but didn't feel a difference. He said that the majority of his patients feel the difference in about 2 weeks. I do notice that I have a little pressure in my back right now (that's how I usually feel after I eat) so its kicking in guys. quote]

Got this off of Welcome to LAP-BAND.com

Check-Ups and Adjustments

It is recommended that surgeons see their patients every four to six weeks during the first year after surgery. Adjustments are performed as needed during these visits. During the first year, many LAP-BAND® patients have five to eight adjustments. Your stomach needs to adjust with you as your body changes. A few people never need an adjustment while others need five or more. It’s all about making sure you are losing weight safely.

Hope this helps some.

I think if you are not losing 1-2 lbs. per week then you should be permitted a fill at your appointment. You spoke up for yourself this time. Next time make sure you do and give him some data to back yourself up. Not that you should have to provide data, but if that is the way the Dr. is going to be then you might as well show up armed with data (your weight loss tracking) and maybe remind him, ever so gently, what the band is for. If you feel you need a fill it's YOUR body.

Best of luck to you.

breadlady- thanks for that info. That is what my doctor and his PA said also. I go every 4 weeks for the first year unless a fill is needed in between and then I just call and make an appointment. I have had 2 fills in the last 2 weeks. I went in on the 5th for my first and the 13th for my second one. The PA's exact words were 'I will see you in 4 weeks unless you need a fill before then. If you are eating more than 1/2 cup at a time just call and we will get you right in for a fill. You have the tool to help lose weight so we might as well be making it work like it is supposed to.' I was also told that I didn't have to worry about 'running out' of room for a fill because that was a worry that I had too. I was worried that my band would be 'full' before I got to goal and then I would be 'done' no more help from my band and she reassured me yesterday that won't happen and I don't have to worry about it. After everything I have read and then talking to her about my fears yesterday I don't understand this whole thing with the sizes and the cc and centimeters.

I just decided that I have the tool and I am going to make it work and not worry myself with all of the other. My first fill was 4.6cc and yesterday I got 2.4 totaling 7cc. I definately have restriction today. I am about to eat but only the 1/4- 1/2 cup like I am supposed too.

Lindaa

Thanks for the info. I think you're right. I didn't think about the fact that there coud be liquid in the tubing instead of in the band.

Breadlady

I'm big on self advocacy so all that you just wrote me were put into action during today's visit. It just was written down.

The Dr. told me that he wanted to be conservative about this but I told him point blank, I don't need him to be conservative, I need him to be aggressive when it comes to my weight loss because this HAS TO WORK. Thanks for the encouragement, breadylady. Maybe 1 day I'll start journaling weight watchers style again in order to make my point clear to the doctor.

This band is my tool and I'm putting in the work and I'll be dog gone if those who are getting paid to help me put in the work aren't going to hold up their end of the bargain.

ssankof73- good for you for always advocating for yourself. We know our bodies. You are right you have the tool so you should be able to use it. Congrats on the fill.