Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am four months out of surgery and am having a terrible time with Constipation. Any suggestion? Any one else having this problem? What can I take and what can't I take? Thanks

I just went to my bariatric doctor today and asked that question! They suggested taking a dolcolax every morning....or any other stool softner us prefer! Good luck!

I took Milk of Magnesia once, it did the trick. I just read a thread - http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/324173-smooth-move/ where pinkbunnies was recommending "Smooth Move" tea. I also recommend adding a small banana to your daily diet to stay regular - it's been working for me. :-)

I'm vegetarian. I've been adding a bit of spinach to whatever I eat each day . I ate a salad a day before my surgery and drank plenty of Water. I never ate processed food. I was super regular. Going 2 -3 times a day or more. I was discharged on a 30 day supply of stool softeners. I've been going each day but it's not as robust as it once was. I figure part of it is I'm eating so much less. Once I started adding back in my leafy greens, my once a day felt more robust.

Bannanas are Sugar bombs! Not to mention that I would have a hard time eating a whole one! Much better to use benefiber or one of the other powdered Fiber products in a shake and not add that sugar and carbs.

1. Calories 105
    1. % Daily Value*
    1. Total Fat 0.4 g
    1. 0%
    1. Saturated fat 0.1 g
    1. 0%
    1. Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    1. Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    1. Cholesterol 0 mg
    1. 0%
    1. Sodium 1 mg
    1. 0%
    1. Potassium 422 mg
    1. 12%
    1. Total Carbohydrate 27 g
    1. 9%
    1. Dietary fiber 3.1 g
    1. 12%
    1. Sugar 14 g
    1. Protein 1.3 g

I will also say Smooth Move tea works wonders ! Make sure you let the tea bag steep for 10-15 minutes before you take it out of the Water and it works like a charm. I have been on heavy duty narcotics for a few years so I am a bit too familiar with Constipation. Smooth move tea works every time with no cramping, no side effects and you can buy it at Walgreens.

Eat prunes or drink prune juice. My mom doesn't have a very healthy diet and eats lots of bread products, so she gets constipated on a regular basis and loves to eat prunes. I prefer prune juice.

I eat a 1/4 of a pear pretty much every day. It works like a charm!

I tried smooth move...nothing. I've been taking 1 stool softener a day - nothing. Should I take 3 a day (which the instructions say it is ok to up to 3 a day)?

I take a couple tablespoons of raw psyllium husk Fiber a day. I just gulp the fiber with a liquid. The taste/texture is not for everyone (think unsweetened/unflavored Metamucil), but raw psyllium husk is MUCH cheaper and goes down easily.

I would try 2 and see if that works first. Maybe try a small amount of prune juice like 1 ounce as well.

I've suffering from Constipation too. I thought I found the cure when I started taking Yacult probiotic and eating an Activia yogurt every day, but it's been two days and nothing. I just got some Smooth Move tea and I will try it day. Being constipated make me very tired.