Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed at the thought of the new way of life I will have to adapt

Just take one day at a time and try not to get to far ahead of yourself. Follow the program recommendations, they are designed to help you be successful!

I agree completely!! when you come out your stomach will tell you when you are full.I was also a HUGE Water drinker, you are NOT able to gulp down anything you will have to sip, you will adapt and all the crazy things you are thinking about now will become normal in time. baby steps...You can do this. it does get better. I remember in the beginning I could barely drink a sip all at once, I had to break it up in my mouth and take tiny sips as I went. Now I can take an actual drink of a glass, still can't gulp but at this point I wouldn't want to.

The food gets easier as well. Most of the issues I ran into were mental. Training your brain that you don't NEED a heaping plate of something, then eventually you will learn your limits, you will listen to your body and know when just one more bite wont work. with me it was a feeling I got in my throat...if I ate one more bite, I would be uncomfortable so I trained my brain that when I feel that feeling...it's time to stop, walk away from the food. I was VERY honest with my friends, family, co-workers so they supported me when I needed to leave just to get up to walk away.

It all gets easier...I am just over 5 months post op, I am LOVING my life, LOVING my decision, I am down 93 lbs as of this past saturday, I don't weigh in on my week of my period because I know I gain Water weight etc...so I don't want to get discouraged by that. I will weigh in probably this weekend and then I always love seeing the drop! I wish you the best of luck! this site has been a great resource!

There are so many posts in response I don't know if someone else said this or not, but my surgery is scheduled Nov 3 and I am also TERRIFIED! But like anything in life it will be as you expect it to be. If you think it will suck it will suck, and if you think it will be great it will be. That is why there are so many positive people here.

The positive outlook will help get you through the worst of it. And I am sure there will be some really bad moments, for me at least. But there is a reason that we are doing this and staying focused on the other end of the path you're on will help you get thru it and quickly. Keep your eye on the prize and not focus on the fear. This group has already eased a lot of my fear as I take my next steps.

Certain foods that you can't eat for awhile? Well are they foods that packed the weight on initially? That's how I look at that. If I am going to lose the weight and keep it off, unfortunately I have to start eating like my skinny minny girlfriends! And that will mean no Waffle House, for awhile at least. And in a few months I'll try a few bites and be satisfied with it. I won't be able to eat those horrible things I love so much, because if I do? I'll wind up right back where I am right now. A bite now and again never killed anyone p, but everything has to be done in moderation, indulgence and a diet like I had pre-surgery well... Negates the surgery all together! Keep your chin up!!

@@livvsmum I just wanted to say I followed the link to your blog and just finished reading the whole thing. It was awesome and wildly inspiring. I hope when I finally get my surgery to hopefully follow in your footsteps.

Your blog outlining your day to day struggles and victories both pre and post op read like a classic step by step diagram on how to do everything right. Congratulations! You look fantastic!

@@CowgirlJane No problem. Actually, I didn't even notice who first wrote that word [and then someone else picked up on it].

I just don't want the original poster to go into an operation already feeing/believing/ingraining herself that recovery is a definite "suck"y experience, because it really may not be. For some, perhaps yes; for others, perhaps not. And I find that mental attitude is important for all things in life. Half-empty/half-full thing.

I think for all [or most of us], whatever one's experience post-op, it's been worth it, for sure: Happy, healthy, sexy, smokin' hot, socializing, etc. Lovin' it. [Tonight, I'm going to my 3rd social event this week; even missing '48 Hours' (LOL).]

i am right there with you...esp if you are very heavy and have been your whole life, like me, it is terrifying to process that my entire life is changing...it's not that i am going into this expecting it to suck but the FACT of the matter is, it MIGHT....and i was to be prepared for that...and i also have panic disorder so i cannot, not stress...i do not fear the pain....the pain i am in on a daily basis is has me prepared for what may happen in regards to that...and just like everything, it is easy to say "oh, you'll be fine, you'll get used to everything" but each person is different... @@MauiGirl5555 we can do this, may suck a little, may suck a lot, but either way. we got this ;)

I've had times when I've felt very very very overwhelmed at all the changes I need to make. So what I've been doing is practicing not drinking with meals, taking small bites, chewing food to pureed consistency and have even started crushing my medications that I'll need to crush after surgery. I know it will still be overwhelming after the surgery but I'm hoping that the steps I'm taking now will make things somewhat easier.

Edit to add:

I've also had to work with the program psychologist to start working on the head game.

Edited by gabbykittyvsg

OMG I feel the exact same way!! My surgery is November 10th and every time I chug my Water right now I think to myself this won't happen post op! I LOVE water and to eat 3 baby spoons for a meal freaks me out!! However my friend had surgery 1 year ago and she eats and drinks a little more then that now, but definitely a change of lifestyle for sure. I'm scared of not absorbing enough nutrition through food and to be stuck on Vitamins for life is a scary thought!! I was going to do a post on this same subject tonight, thanks for posting!!

I don't have my surgery until Nov. 10th but one of the things I worry about (in addition to gaining the weight back) is not drinking anything 30 min. before, during or 30 min. after a meal. It's just so natural for me to have a glass of tea or Water when I eat. That's going to be a hard habit to break.

Livsmum--you're my new idol! You look great. I'm about 40 years older than you but I want to be slim again! This will be my time to succeed!

I'm really surprised by some of the pre-op things some surgeons do but others don't. I have surgery on Tuesday and have been on a liquid diet since Monday and it's been tough. But from the time we went to the very first information session, they gave us things to do: At least 1 meal a day, chew each bite 35 times. Starting that day, work on cutting out caffeine and carbonated beverages and start not drinking before and after meals. There are things I am worried about, and right now I would sell my husband for some nachos, but I think these things aren't going to be as bad since they are things I've been doing for months now.

I am in the same boat. I am so excited but scared to death. I worry all the time about things after surgery. It's going to be a huge change. I worry a lot also that I still have to cook and feed my family after surgery and how will that be not eating any of the food. Don't know how other people deal with that. I do have lots of offers for help. But I don't want to put that on everyone. I am looking forward to changing and getting healthy . Also the more I read on this site the success stories and all the support sure helps a lot.

Funny... I was scared for myself when I had the surgery 3 months ago..BUT knowing both my daughters will be going through this in Dec has me petrified. I keep telling myself that everything will be ok, but there is always a nagging thought that comes back in my mind... What if either or both have complications!!! Going to Mexico to have the surgery makes it even more worrisome. I now what lays ahead for both girls once they get on the losers bench. Good things! I want them there to join me in this journey. I can only pray that all goes well for both of them.

I love this thread as I am in the same boat! I just finished a 6 month program and tests and now waiting the 2 weeks for insurance approval. I will have a pre-op class a week or so before the surgery. Yikes!!

My big fears are many--just having liquid shakes for weeks worries me as I do not like most of them and cannot have any of the "fake" sugars. I found one that is tolerable but none taste good. I just tried an unflavored one in Soup today and it was tolerable but I only added half a teaspoon.

I also worry about complications, pain and really worry whether I can get my MEDS down. I will have to take my normal 6 pills, cut them in half and swallow (do this twice a day) a capsule and my Vitamins. I cannot miss my pills as I have a pain disorder. How will I get all that down the first week!? Sheesh.

I may be nervous about many things but I am also very excited too! I can't believe I let the summer go by without separating my clothes by sizes. I have to start that. I am trying hard to look past the surgery part and trying to think of what I need to do at a month, two months and 6 months later to get me through some of the anxiety.

I know I am just doing it, biting the bullet and praying.

Edited by Ageekygal

27 hours , talk about nervous :/

Well, I would question your judgment if you weren't at least a little nervous! !!

Alot of great tips have been shared but here are a few things I did... I picked a couple of people who I related to (band to sleeve revision, high BMI women) and followed the successful ones. By follow I mean paid attention to them. I learned a lot but it also helped me "believe". I also spent time reading success stories and looking at inspirational before and after photos. I stayed away from the complications and misery threads because I wanted to focus on success.

Let's be honest, most if not all of us dislike Protein drinks and would rather eat fries, but there is a certain amount of "buckling down and getting er done" required. The good news is that down the road you'll be living a normal life, no longer morbidly obese and wondering what all the fuss was about. :) of course that is why maintenance is so hard...A few years down the road you can eat much more etc. So it takes a different kind of work. It is worth it for me... single digit clothing coming from the 3x land is a life game changer in many ways.

I had my surgery on October 1 and I was terrified. Surgery went great and I have had little pain but the post op diet sucks big time! While I am not hungry I want something of substance besides liquids to eat. I never noticed all the commercials for food before!