Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed at the thought of the new way of life I will have to adapt

I feel overwhelmed as well. I know I can do it but familiarity is a powerful thing in my life. I've stayed stuck around so many things in life simply because they were recognizable; I knew what to expect. I have been making changes slowly regarding the things that will be necessary for optimal results and health safety(not drinking with food, exercise, etc.) and I still have no doubt that I will be shocked and that it will take time for my body and mind to adjust.

I laughed when I read the childbirth bit! I remember afterwards wondering why not one single woman in my life told me that it would feel like someone was shoving a fiery sword into my lady parts!

I don't have my surgery until Nov. 10th but one of the things I worry about (in addition to gaining the weight back) is not drinking anything 30 min. before, during or 30 min. after a meal. It's just so natural for me to have a glass of tea or Water when I eat. That's going to be a hard habit to break.

Livsmum--you're my new idol! You look great. I'm about 40 years older than you but I want to be slim again! This will be my time to succeed!

Not drinking was a big thing for me as well! The funny thing is now its natural not to drink with a meal! You will replace your bad habits with good habits because you have to. The most satisfying change for me is knowing I can have a bite or 2 of anything sweet and walk away without feeling deprived! I was definitely a carb and sweets addict before surgery, now I crave salt.

Think of getting your sleeve as starting over as a baby. You start off with just liquids, then progress to soft puréed foods, then a little more solid foods, and finally you start seeing what you can tolerate. This all takes months. But once you get through the "stages" of post op you will be able to eat like you did before, just a lot less!

So true. Even out 6.5 months, I still throw up almost on a weekly basis. I still can't eat salmon, tilapia, trout or halibut and Tomato sauce and Pasta does me in as well. I hope one day that I'll be able to eat fish again. And actually, my new revelation is that I can eat a good salad from Whole Foods with no problem. Now I just need to learn how to make a few on my own. Seriously thinking about becoming a vegetarian since the surgery because I still like to eat and if I can get in a good quantity of salads, then I/and 'baby' (my pouch) are happy and satiated.

My favorite activity is looking at before and after pictures to check what a 50, 60........100, etc weight loss looks like. It's addicting. I dream about how it will look like on me. It has been 22 years since I was below 160lbs. I have no idea how I will look like.

My husband is a classically trained chef. We moved to the Kansas City are from rural Kansas 3 weeks post op. Sometimes I miss being able to pig out, when something tastes terrific...but I'm never hungry so that helps, And I find nyself satisfied with being able to eat a bite or two.

I chickened out on surgery 3 times. The first 2 weeks post were tough, but I could feel huge imprrovement daily. Now I'm 10 weeks post and 60 pounds lighter. Glad I had the courage this time,

Courage...

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”

― Dale Carnegie

I can relate to being nervous and scared out of my mind before this surgery. When I was on the liquid diet (supposed to 2 weeks, only did 1 and lost 9 lbs) and it was kind of a modified liquid diet (breakfast: shake, snack: string cheese, lunch: deli meat salad or chipotle salad- YUM, can not to have that again, dinner: eggs). I was mourning food that week and thinking I'm never going to be able to eat again and it's very traumatic for someone who loves (addicted) to food, who uses comfort for food, who looks forward to food. I used to plan my weekends around food. Crazy, right? I didn't want to do that anymore. I didn't want to have the power of food over me. As my surgery got closer and closer, I kept second guessing myself over and over and over and over again until the day I took my "before" pictures. I took a good hard look at myself and realized this is NOT the person I want to be. This is NOT the life I want to live. There is no WANT to do this, I HAVE to do this surgery.

I too was scared about having a bad recovery, no energy, going to be starving, all of it. I was sleeved last Monday. I know everyone is different, but I feel pretty darn good. A couple days before my surgery, I visualized having a successful surgery and recovery. The power of positive thinking goes a long way. When I got home on Thursday, I was shocked at how good I felt, how my energy level was, how I wasn't hungry. Today, I went out to dinner with my family at a BBQ restaurant and I was thinking, oh great, everyone is going to be eating BUT me. How fun will that be? It actually was fine. I smelled the food and it smelled great but I didn't want it. I sipped on my Protein Shake and that was enough for me. Muffins right in front of my face. Breads are my ABSOLUTE weakness but I survived. I wasn't hungry at all. Getting ready for the first time this morning was a bit of chore and I didn't have a lot of strength but it was because I didn't have anything in my system yet.

I know everyday is going to get better and better. You just have to believe that. I go to this forum everyday and read stories to help me through this journey and it really does help. I chose my surgeon because of this site. I know what to expect, all the good and all the bad so I can prepare myself. I'm a planner so I like to know EVERYTHING. Just know, everything is going to be okay and once you get this surgery over with, you'll be so happy and feel like the worst is over. Then comes the liquid phase, the pureed/soft phase, and then before you know it, you'll be adding solid foods back in. I've been bookmarking recipes for pureed and soft foods like no other. I can't wait to try them when I get there. Just have to take each day at a time. You will do great.

1. I love this thread! I can relate so much

@@livvsmum I just wanted to say I followed the link to your blog and just finished reading the whole thing. It was awesome and wildly inspiring. I hope when I finally get my surgery to hopefully follow in your footsteps.

Your blog outlining your day to day struggles and victories both pre and post op read like a classic step by step diagram on how to do everything right. Congratulations! You look fantastic!

Wow! You are super flattering! lol... Thank you! I've definitely struggled along the way. It's not always easy, but I can say so far that the little sacrifices along the way have always been WAY worth it!

Hello Everyone.....Nov 7 is my meeting with my surgeon to go over all forms and submit to insurance....the DR said my insurance would come back within 2 weeks and then I will get a date. I am so overwhelmed with all of the details and trying to think about how my new life will be. I compare it to waking up one day and living in Mars. I looked at the post op meal plan and I cant phathom 2 teaspoons of pureed tuna fish for a meal.....I cant picture not being able to gulp down a bottle of Water in 30 seconds.....how do you chew your meal until it is like applesauce in your mouth.....the NUT told me I would hardly be able to swallow my pills/vitamins and to get chewable everything.....

Please tell me there are other people out there whose heads are spinning just like mine......everyone seems so excited and ready.....I am scared out of my mind!! I have talked to a few people at a support group and they are all sunshine and roses...I ask what their struggles were and they seem to not have any....I just dont buy it......

I know I will get through this....but I would love to hear from other people who are scared like me so I feel like I am not alone....and I would love to hear from some people who are past this bumpy section ~~~ maybe you have tips that will help me get through this phase and prepare for life on Mars.

Thank you.

I am also overwhelmed.

Funny the water in 30 seconds hit home. I was having Breakfast this morning and realized that I was drinking a cup of coffee and an16 oz glass of water every 10 minutes. The waitress automatically filled them both up everytime she walked by. My though, this is normal for me, how am I ever going to adjust. My eating is improving breakfast was a ham omlet and sliced Tomato and I ate it slowly and chewed conciously. But it was a struggle. So I am with you, but you came to this decision I am sure not without much reflection and you know that it is what you want and need to do, so I say MARS, bring it on. Think of your new stomach as the spacesuit you need to wear to live on Mars and know that without the suit there is no quality of life. You can do it I have faith in you.

@@Bouff That is funny.......it is a good way to think about it....that Mars is my new normal.....

I am still pretty freaked out b/c any diet I have ever tried I have always been faithful for a while and then went back to the old bad eating habits......with my new Mars life there is no turning back......which is the scary part....it is the right move for me, I know that.....but it still scared the crap out of me.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and your support. I appreciate it.

@@Bouff That is funny.......it is a good way to think about it....that Mars is my new normal.....

I am still pretty freaked out b/c any diet I have ever tried I have always been faithful for a while and then went back to the old bad eating habits......with my new Mars life there is no turning back......which is the scary part....it is the right move for me, I know that.....but it still scared the crap out of me.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and your support. I appreciate it.

Keep the faith, join me on mars, we are going to hang on to each other on the ride.