Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed at the thought of the new way of life I will have to adapt

@@bikrchk, thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for. I appreciate that you tell it like it is, and that it's normal for me to eat two spoonfuls of yogurt and be full! LoL!

No question, this is a crazy journey you are about to embark on. That said, I have a 90% sleeve. They tell me my doc does a smaller than average pouch and I. Am. Fine. You'll find your "new normal" post-op. The first month was hard while my stomach was swollen. I ate with a baby spoon and struggled to get my fluids and Protein in, but worked my way up to 75+g per day and 64oz of Water. At 3 months I could eat about 2 oz of moist meat. At 6 months no more than 4oz. Today, I'm satisfied on 4oz of most food... 1/2 cup of chili, 1 Chipolte taco, 1 egg with a slice of cheese on it. I used to struggle with "dieting". Today, I eat what I like how I like it in very small quantities. I cannot over eat because it makes me physically ill. I choose Protein first 95% of the time. I eat carbs. :-o, yes, CARBS! I exercise 5 days per week, (yes, this is a new habit for me) and an active body needs carbs to function. I work the things I want, (chocolate) into my day around the things I need, (protein). For me, the key has been to move my body, get my protein and never, ever over eat. The rest has kind of taken care of its self. This has been the best gift EVER, to be free from an obsession with food!

Yes, I definitely remember that feeling and having a complete emotional meltdown about a week before surgery because of that. You are right it will completely change your relationship with food. I can tell you though that things will quickly return to a "new normal." You will heal, go back to work or school, and adapt to your new version of yourself and it will go more quickly than you can imagine. I'm now 13 months post op and amazed at how quickly the first year went. make the most of it because it really is your golden opportunity to maximize your weight loss. Good luck!

I don't have my surgery until Nov. 10th but one of the things I worry about (in addition to gaining the weight back) is not drinking anything 30 min. before, during or 30 min. after a meal. It's just so natural for me to have a glass of tea or Water when I eat. That's going to be a hard habit to break.

Livsmum--you're my new idol! You look great. I'm about 40 years older than you but I want to be slim again! This will be my time to succeed!

I don't have my surgery until Nov. 10th but one of the things I worry about (in addition to gaining the weight back) is not drinking anything 30 min. before, during or 30 min. after a meal. It's just so natural for me to have a glass of tea or Water when I eat. That's going to be a hard habit to break.

Livsmum--you're my new idol! You look great. I'm about 40 years older than you but I want to be slim again! This will be my time to succeed!

Thank you! You're sweet :-) This IS your time! Not drinking with meals is hard to get used to, but after a while it's just second nature. I was a HUGE iced tea drinker....like all the time, every meal and in between too. I haven't had anything except for Water and coffee in over a year and to be honest, I really don't miss it. :-)

For what it's worth I'm only 3 days out and this morning I put down 2 chewable Vitamins and swallowed 3 other pills no problem. I was nervous going into it but now that it's done I've pretty much immediately made my peace with all of the similar worries that I had. The concerns just kind of went away. There is no wrestling with whether or not things are the way they should be...they simply are the way they are. I find that comforting.

@@bikrchk, @@NavyMom2006, @@livvsmum, @@Sleeverino

Thank you for your responses. It gives me a degree of peace.....I appreciate your honesty. I feel as if I am approaching a cliff and hearing your stories give me more strength to jump off the cliff and know that it will be ok. It is the most frightening thing I have done in my life.

I know just how you feel! I ordered this book on Amazon..it's called 'The Emotional First Aid Kit: A practical guide to life after bariatric surgery. I was highly recommended by a lot of people who had the surgery. It talks a lot about how life/people/your situation changes after the surgery. I want to have everything I need to make this a success. I want to be as prepared as I possibly can to make this happen.

Dr ...do not think I am negative. At the time I was going thru recovery and adjustment I was very positive and motivated. In hindsight, it did suck though and it is a complete lie to characterize it any other way. I have been very driven and LOVE my post sleeve life. It isn't perfect but being free from an all consuming 24/7 hunger. ..priceless!

I am a middle aged woman maintaining a 160# loss after a lifetime of obesity. .. so i guess I have been through as big of change as most.

Like with anything, practice makes perfect. I have been eating without drinking at meals for about 3 weeks now. I tell you it is easier then you think. The main reason you had to drink with your meal before was you needed the liquid in order to wash the food down. Without it you have to eat much much much slower which actually causes you to feel full eating a smaller portion. In my opinion the drinking with my meal contributed to my weight gain. If you take a bite, chew a couple times and wash it down with a drink, you can eat a whole plate in 5 minutes. If you have to chew enough (20 to 30 times per bite) to swallow without a drink, after 20 minutes you eat 1/2 of the plate and you are full. It's amazing. I wish I knew then what I know now.

I know exactly what you are all going through - I made myself crazy in the weeks before surgery thinking about how my life was going to change (for the worse). I also need to prepare myself for the worst case scenario, it helps me cope to know that I can handle the worst, so anything better than that is easy! And the good news is the experience was MUCH MUCH easier than the worst case scenario, and the odds are it will be for each of you.

For me, the most difficult thing by far was the pre-op diet (and I had one where I could eat a low carb meal every day!). When you still have your whole stomach and your eating habits, it is incredibly difficult to do the pre-op. I cheated every day (not recommending this, but full disclosure). Also, as the surgery date got closer and closer, I started second guessing, etc. and worrying - as the OP is - constantly about what I was doing to myself, how would I handle this new life, etc.

My post-op was a million times better than expected, and keep in mind that even though preparing for the worst is what I did too, most of us have no complications. My surgeon requires a 2-night hospital stay which helped a lot because by the time I was discharged I was in pretty good shape physically. I had no trouble sipping or getting down Protein shakes. I did crush my meds for the first 2 weeks because it was required - I crushed them in a medicine cup with a piece of sugar free popsicle, and waited a few minutes until the popsicle was mushy then stirred it around and at it with a spoon. The wonderful feeling of knowing the surgery is behind you will make this time so much better - not to mention the fact that you start seeing the scale go down.

In terms of all the things I worried about before surgery - When can I have wine? Do I really need to give up pizza? What about my social life? How will I eat in front of people who don't know? --- NONE of those things are issues, and I'm only 5 weeks out. The timing of everything may vary from person to person, but I have been able to eat and drink everything in small doses, and there is no feeling of deprivation when I can't finish - because I am stuffed, like after a huge meal STUFFED.

Good Luck to all of you -- It's a leap of faith for sure but one that is well worth it!

@@Myonlybattle

Thank you for sharing that. It has given me so much hope.

I had to swallow a pill the next day in the hospital and I was scared to death based on what I was told. I was told for a while nothing larger than the size of an M&M. The hardest part at first is drinking, I too couldn't wrap my head around not being able to gulp 16 oz of Water at one time. As everyone has said, one day at a time, it will slowly become your new normal and you won't think about it so much. About a month ago, I had eaten a 1/4 of a sandwich and then drank within 10 minutes, due to being very busy. Needless to say, it came right back up. I have been one of the lucky ones that I didn't get sick at the beginning. You will know what you can and can't do, just listen to your body, you can do it!

Myonlybattle -- thanks for the wonderful encouragement! I've never doubted my decision to have the surgery--I'm so excited and looking forward to having it. After reading your post, I'm even more sure that this will be one of the best things I could ever have done for myself--I just wish I had done it years ago. I wish I didn't have to wait until Nov. 10th to have the surgery.

Myonlybattle....thank you for sharing. We must be kindred spirits because the issues you questioned are the same that I question. Your resolve has calmed me. Thanks again!!