Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgendered Bandsters

Hi Eddie-Congrats on coming off of your diabetes meds!! That is fabulous!! I have been a diabetic for over 15 years, so I'm very anxious to get off of the meds. I'm on 3 orals and insulin, in addition to meds for the high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Glad to hear that being banded has helped you, because it gives me hope. I have my consult with the surgeon on June 15th. I'm so excited!! Then he will dictate a letter to be sent to the ins. co. Then we wait for them to say yay or nay. I have no reason to think that they will say no. Then we set the date!! Yippee!!

Hi Kathy! What oral meds are you one? I'm down to 1,000 mg of Metformin twice a day and am going to experiment with cutting out the pm dose starting tonight. In the past I have been on Amaryl, Starlix, Prandin, Avandia (I gained 80 lbs in under a year!:girl_hug: It came off in a few months when I stopped taking it) and Byetta (which worked really well for about 4 months, then was completely useless). As for insulin, I've only used Lantus. Now that I'm off the insulin and am losing, I expect the blood pressure to start normalizing as well.

Keep us posted on doc appt, insurance decision, etc. And don't ever give up hope! You're well on your way now.

Hi gay people.

Nothing to report, just checking in!

xo

J

LOL! Too funny Juli! Hey, where in Ohio are you? Sean if from up there, near Lima...

I am new to this thread and was excited to see this category :girl_hug: I just wanted to say hello and that I hope everyone is having a nice day!

Brooke

Hiya Brooke! :welcome: I noticed in your profile that you were banded on 2/23 - my husband was banded on 2/21. How are you doing so far? He seems to be losing faster than most folks so I have to make sure I don't compare my progress to his. We all move at our own pace.

Anyway, it's great to have you aboard! Make yourself at home!

Eddie

I was born in Cincinnati and moved to Columbus 20 years ago. Columbus is the a pretty queer town. I love it there.

Now, while driving to Michigan this past Novemeber I hit a deer in Lima. What a mess! The deer didn't look so good either. It wasn't my typical route and I'll never drive it again! And just an aside for the other LDR's out there I'm with my honey again this weekend. We're both typing away madly at a coffee shop near her home. :target: or should I say :girl_hug: I"m so nasty!

FYI, if your man and you want cheap flights back home skybus.com has some great flights from Jacksonville/St Augustine to Columbus.

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well.

I had my surgery yesterday and it went very well. I've been having excrutiating gas pains, but other than that, things aren't too bad. Just wanted to let you know I'm okay.

xoxo

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well.

I had my surgery yesterday and it went very well. I've been having excrutiating gas pains, but other than that, things aren't too bad. Just wanted to let you know I'm okay.

xoxo

Hey Lucy! WELCOME TO BANDLAND!! :clap2: And thanks for the update. I'm really glad you made it through ok! Do you have any Gas-X strips? They worked well for me, although if the gas pains are from getting "blown up like you're 10 months pregnant" (as my surgeon's partner so eloquently put it) rather than intestinal gas, they won't do a thing. My pain meds helped a lot with that the first few days. I've seen others post about using heating pads, as well as a few other things I can't remember right off.

Don't forget we're here for you! We may not be there to bring you Soup and wipe your butt (metaphorically speaking of course) but you'll find all the love and support you could ever need right here. :hug:

Hi Eddie! I'm currently on 850mg of metformin twice daily, glimepiride (generic Amaryl) 2mg twice daily, Januvia 100mg once daily, and 10 units of Lantus at bedtime. The Januvia is fairly new, and has really helped to bring my blood sugars under control, and my A1C to around 6.2. Glad to know you're no longer on the Avandia. Isn't that the med that was found to be causing heart attacks recently? Keep me posted on how you're doing by cutting back on the metformin. I'll be sure and keep folks posted in my appt. and ins. decision. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Take care! Kat

Guest USMC23

Hiya Brooke! :welcome: I noticed in your profile that you were banded on 2/23 - my husband was banded on 2/21. How are you doing so far? He seems to be losing faster than most folks so I have to make sure I don't compare my progress to his. We all move at our own pace.

Anyway, it's great to have you aboard! Make yourself at home!

yes Eddie i was banded on 2/23 and everything went great at first. I lost twenty pounds right off the bat but then it just stopped. I just had my third fill and as far as the band everything is great, but my thyroid decided to act up on me. So now i am trying to get that worked out and feel like i am in band hell again lol One thing i don't understand is why do we want to chew really well? I mean i know it is so you don't get anything stuck, but if everything goes through the band how is the restriction supposed to work? I do feel like my food gets stuck for a second or two and then goes through, but i wish it would just stay so i can get full. Am I crazy? Anyway, that is awesome about your hubby! I am happy for him My partner had the gastric bypass and she has almost lost a hundred pounds. I am very proud of her. It helps so much to have someone who shares the same lifestyle with food and everything. I am so glad I found this thread, I feel much more comfortable here

Brooke, think hourglass, on a slower scale. The food doesn't just drop all at once into the lower part of the stomach. It kinda "drips" down from the new stomach pouch, that's why you're satisfied longer. Maybe you need another fill. Sometimes it takes a while to get to the "sweet spot." If you don't have restriction you probably do need one. You shouldn't still be hungry so soon after you eat. I understand the thyroid going nuts. Sean has hypothyroidism as well, so I've been through a lot with his. How's your TSH?

I was banded on 5/16 and even though my first fill is scheduled for 7/3 I'm thinking about going in early because the last couple of days I haven't had good restriction and have still been hungry after eating as much as 6-8 oz of food. That's just too much. Nonetheless, I weighed today and am down a couple more pounds. I really don't want to move backwards at this point.

Hi every one, just found this thread!!! who knew?! been on the "state" threads and never ventured. I got banded 4/26 and haven't had a fill yet. My wife can't wait till I go on 7/2 for my first. she is anxious for me to get going with the loss again. been on hold for 2 wks now. I find myself "expermenting " sometimes and get hungry couple times a day. BUT , I'm anxous about the fill , do you really have to go on liquids again?? I have never experienced any problems with eating anything. this is great!!

Hey Lucy! WELCOME TO BANDLAND!! :clap2: And thanks for the update. I'm really glad you made it through ok! Do you have any Gas-X strips? They worked well for me, although if the gas pains are from getting "blown up like you're 10 months pregnant" (as my surgeon's partner so eloquently put it) rather than intestinal gas, they won't do a thing. My pain meds helped a lot with that the first few days. I've seen others post about using heating pads, as well as a few other things I can't remember right off.

Don't forget we're here for you! We may not be there to bring you Soup and wipe your butt (metaphorically speaking of course) but you'll find all the love and support you could ever need right here. :hug:

Eddie, thank you so much for your encouraging post. It's been difficult with the gas pain and, unfortunately, the Gas X strips don't do a damn thing -- most of the pain is in my back, chest, and shoulders. The vicodin helps with the pain, but I hate that it makes me feel groggy, so I've been trying to not take it as much.

Thankfully, my husband has been taking very good care of me -- making miso soup and rubbing my back. Luckily I don't seem to need a buttwiper, but I can never have too much love and support!

I'm sure this gets easier as the days pass...:sick

Love to all of you.:kiss2:

;) WOW time is flying! I have my surgery in week and im getting nervous! Im scared I wont be able to eat again!! Yikez!! I know this anxiety is normal but im gonna need a sedative! :biggrin1:

my new job is kickin my rear!!! i can't keep up with the thread ;) i'm so lost! just wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone! i got 2 girls at work that started w/ me that wanna check into the band with me! it would be nice if one or both of them get it done with me!

well ya'll have a good one!

Morning Family~

I woke up late and made it to the gym anyway, well, I guess 5:05am is late, if I intended to start at 4:50. Anywho, just a quick post.

Brooke~ I love that name...welcome. We are a nice group over here. Can I ask, USMC??? My partner is 22 years military, retiring next year, and my grandfather was a Lt. Col. USMC. Am I off base? Either way, welcome!

Lucy~ Congrats and welcome to band land!!!!!!!!!!!!! From here on out, your just a loser baby! You'll feel better each day. Keep us posted.

Wade~ deep breaths. And a valuim or two never hurt. This helped me w/ the freak outs..."Just surrender and do it." I didn't even think about it once I was a week out. I just lived at the before and after thread here...lol. Good luck!

Gotta go to work. 2 MORE FREAKIN DAYS OF SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;):Banane20:;):Banane20:;):Banane20::Banane20:(she's my favorite).