Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excited, scared.... not sure what's next for me.

Hello fellow future gastric patients/post gastric patients. I don't even know where to start....

Ok, so let me Alcoholics Anonymous this - Hi, I'm Shell, and I'm an unhealthy eater. I don't overeat, I don't snack. I actually only eat 1-2x a day and it's usually something I can grab quick and shove in my mouth between taking care of my 17 month old, work, or doctor appts/errands. I also tend to eat after 10pm. Not good, I know. Or should I say, I used to eat those ways.... I've gotten better since I started this. Let me organize this a little better:::::::

Well, let's start here: I began my journey toward surgery on August 29th. Met with my surgeon, got my binder of info, other doctors and tests that need to be done, and diet information. I am an extremely organized person - but boy, am I feeling overwhelmed. I started dieting right away. I have actually lost 5lbs in a week! I noticed I'm going food shopping or running to the store a lot more often than I used to ( once every 2 weeks lol). I pre-cooked a lot of my meals (my freezer is full). I cut out 99% of my starches/carbs (potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread) and fried food - I only had brown rice once mixed with grilled chicken. I am strictly playing with meat, 1% milk products, vegetables and fruit now. I actually have to say, I'm not missing the JUNK.

I am looking for better recipes to turn me on to tuna and healthier alternatives. I made chicken, turkey or ground meat patties stuffed with skim cheese and veggies or jalapenos. But there's only so many meatballs and burgers a person can eat with getting sick of the idea. I am also looking into the Protein powders. Anyone know of some decent tasting/inexpensive ones I can pick up at Walmart or BJs?

Now that I got the details of what I have already done for the pre-surgery, as well as where my diet turned - let me say this has been a journey from bad to worse as it is. I was never a small girl. I grew up in a double Italian household where the family and company and love and EVERYTHING revolves around food. Pasta, meatballs, cake..... It was never healthy lol. I was 150 lbs in 5th grade, 200 by 8th grade. Senior yr of high school I was around 250/260. In college, I never ate, drank, and found myself on antidepressants before I graduated. That's when I did the unimaginable - my weight went over the 300lbs. I always told myself I would NEVER let that happen. But I did. And it didn't stop there. I gained another 30 lbs over the next 2 years, got pregnant, gained 30 lbs over the pregnancy and lost those 30 lbs when I gave birth. I maintained 330 for about 6 months, and then depression hit when life handed me some awful events. My daughter was placed in foster care, I was moved out to a different state away from my home of 25 yrs and my parents and siblings, and was stranded with no job or car. I had to attend doctor appts to get her back, meetings, court dates, and multiple weekly visitations. My schedule went haywire and I went back to eating once a day, usually chicken nuggets or a burger on the run.

Now here I am, a few months shy of getting my baby home full time with me after this whole mishap, full time job, apartment in the works with her dad, and 355 lbs as of August 29th. She walks, she talks, and she gets into everything! I can't be the awesome mother that I am if I can't keep up! Plus, I've shown her an immeasurable amount of strength the past year - I need to show her I'm strong enough to regain my confidence and do something important for her - AND myself. I want to be around for decades upon decades with her.

So here goes my journey. A journey that a lot of people are claiming to support, but I am not looking or relying on anyone else this time. This is for me, by me. It's my turn to shine, and be healthy. It's time to buckle down, get organized, and get ready for a long life feeling good and looking good.

Any tips? Has there been anything that works more for anyone than other things? What foods are your favorite?

First, this isn't a diet. it's a lifestyle change. COMPLETELY!! No need to diet and rely heavily on low calorie foods and recipes. If your band is adjusted properly it will help you feel satisfied with less food.

We eat normal foods like chicken, beef, seafood, vegetable and rice along with most other natural foods. We stay away from processed foods and slider foods like candy, pop and high calorie Soups.

I mean this in the most supportive way, but have you had a psych eval yet? Most insurance companies will require this to be approved for surgery? I find it hard to believe you got to 330 lbs eating once or twice a day? I guess it depends on how much you eat at every sit down meal but you say it's always on the go and it's not much?

Did your surgeon suggest the band? You seem more like a bypass or sleeve patient. Banders rely heavily on sit down meals where we have time to eat with few distractions? Eating on the run or eating after 10 pm is a recipe for failure with the band.

One last thing? What kind of insurance do you have? Will it allow you long term access to free or nearly free aftercare and fills? One of the main reasons we see people fail and have complications is due to losing insurance and not following up with their doctor for the very needed support we need post surgery. jmo

tmf

I actually did point out that I am eating more homemade meals and eating multiple times a day now. I also have not seen the nutritionist yet who will be setting up my psych eval. I was advised to cut out carbs pre-surgery, hence the DIET change.

Yes, eating once or twice a day for well over a decade will make you gain, rather than lose, weight. It's something doctors, psychologists, and nutritionists have told me over the years. Your metabolism shuts down. It stops breaking food down all together. It feels you aren't giving your body enough, so it will hold on to everything you take in so it doesn't go into starvation mode. I wasn't eating much at every meal like YOU may think.

The common consensus is the band surgery. As for my insurance, I am set for quite some time, so that is of no concern.

THanks for the support!

Good for you! Get healthy for that baby! Good luck on your journey!!

Thanks endzone!!

Shell, you are such a beauty - can't help but comment on that!

I read both the posts you started and your comment on the b*tch thread. I have so much to say, yet don't really know what to say. This is all food for thought... take what is useful and leave the rest behind. My intention is to be supportive but I remember how tender the heart is at the preop phase too.

Amazing success IS possible with any WLS. It really is. research it HARD though. I had the band for 10 years and didn't do well. Frankly, i suffered alot. I am told the band is better now, I can't comment on that, but in 2001 it pretty much resulted in eventual issues and removal for everybody I knew. I thought the reversible thing was good... like all I had to do was lose weight and life would be easy breezy...haha... Queen of DeNile.

Others have done well so I am not trying to talk you out of it, but, for a high BMI person ... there are considerations. Again, take it or leave it. The best advice I can give is to consult with more than one surgeon (I found out THEY are very biased too!!!) and go to some support groups. It was very educational to go to support groups of post ops... pretty much everyone therehad bypasss (that surgeon really preferred bypass) and only one other person was awaiting revision from band. I remember thinking how thin she looked, I couldn't imagine why she needed WLS. of course, when you weigh over 300... lots of other people look "thin".

I was too chicken to go for the bypass, the band didn't really work for me... so I wound up sleeved. I learned alot from that support group even though they were mostly bypass patients.

I had a BMI over 50 when I was revised to the sleeve. Right now, my BMI is about 23... so yes, i lost more than half my body weight. Losing that much weight (168# lost since sleeved - now weigh about 140-145 range) was not always easy but it was really worth it. I had reached the age in life (late 40s) where I was seriously getting concerned about longevity and disabiliy due to my weight. I had reasons to be SUPER motivated. The changes to my looks were just a side benefit.

Recently, my 40 year old niece died of a heart attack. She was very very overweight - heavier than I was. It was so sad, she had half a lifetime ahead of her and it was gone in an instant, largely due to her obesity.

I advise you to take the time to research, really understand pros and cons of each procedure (trust me, they ALL have negatives) and decide which you think you have the best odds of success. I spent about a year in anguish over the revision decision. It was not pleasant, but i think that painful year of indecision actually helped me when the going got rough post sleeve.

Whatever you decide - best of luck. You deserve good health and freedom from obesity.

People you know who might be 10, 20, 50# overweight... well... they kinda understand but frankly we are in a little different situation. It is hard to express how enlightening it was to meet with a surgeon who helped me understand the metabolic issue of obesity and just how complex it is. i hope you get that chance too.

@@CowgirlJane I just want to tell you that you look fantastic!!!!

I appreciate the advice - I was actually going through the other pages and sites looking into each surgery - I noticed that lap-band wasn't the most suggested for a high BMI. I liked the idea of lap-band due to the less permanent factor, as well as what seemed like less risks. I guess people I knew of also had gotten lap-band over other WLS. But I am not absolutely opposed to sleeve. It honestly seems like the better choice in my situation. It might take a little longer for recovery, but will have the better effect.

I will be talking to the nutritionist, as well as my surgeon about other possibilities next week when I see them both :-)

Thank you again!!!

i have been helping a friend who is in the pipeline for this surgery. my suggestions for you are the same i gave her:

log every single thing you put in your mouth, every single day, honestly and faithfully. no exceptions.

learn to drink between meals, not with meals, eat slowly, take small bites, chew well. measure your food before you serve yourself.

start researching and practicing ways to soothe yourself without food.

start walking every day, 10 minutes. no exceptions.

good luck!

Congratulations on choosing your healthy future -- that's what's important, that you are showing up for yourself and for your daughter -- you're going to do beautifully no matter what WLS you choose. And it is your choice. Tere are plenty of very successful high BMI Banders here but the band is not for every one. Glad you have support in place, upcoming meetings with surgeon and nutritionist, etc. And that you are committed to cleaning up your diet in advance -- good for you. I cook and freeze a lot -- sounds like you are that kind of person, too. Do you like curries, stews, etc.? I cook with stock a lot for that rich savory high-protein kind of food. And they freeze well. Best wishes to you -- these coming weeks will be very exciting and the anticipation, oh boy, do I remember that.

hi there it's a long journey for sure - but sounds like you are on the right road. weather you go with the sleeve or stay with the band that needs to be a personal choice sure we all can chime in with our 2cents. but honestly all that will make you is virtually rich :).... choose the right WLS for you listen to your surgeon but be aware some favor one WLS over the other not necessarily fairly but at the end of the day they are the experts. and regardless of WLS keep doing what your doing and you will be feeling amazing in no time.

best of luck.

Thanks!!!!