Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are some weight loss surgery patients so clueless?

I had the gastric sleeve a month ago today and my doctor only gave me instructions for preop postop liquid to soft foods, nothing about solids so yes it's frustrating on what to eat that goes down smoothly better safe than sorry.

there is a thread with links to lots of post op diets. i know i wasnt given the handout for the next stage of eating until i was cleared to start it. but all my handouts are on my hospitals website.

I agree that there are some who do indeed ask questions that would appear to be strange, but at the same time I would not want to discourage any persons who truly are asking questions for the right reasons or who truly have been misguided or misinformed by those persons in medicine who aren't as caring or as professional as most are. I personally feel that any good question deserves a good answer.

I think a lot of it has to do with how strong the addiction is, honestly. That compiled with little to no information from the doctors is what does it. There's not enough information and education going on up front, and that's a problem.

When I signed up for this surgery having a strong support group in place was a top priority making my choice of Docs. Many on this site chose to go the surgical tourist direction. Not having support is one reason I would not recommend the trip to mexico or india. That being said many cant afford or dont have insurance to cover the costs leaving one no choice but going out of country. Support after the sale is very important for great sucess. This can be shown by the horror stories of ealy bariatric surgeries. There are many books and plenty of bariatric advise available on Ytube. There also doesnt seem to be a standard for meals after surgery. All Docs seem to have their own beliefs. The governing body for bariatric surgeons should get this fixed.

My opinion is that it is less about intelligence or thoughtfulness and more about emotional "blockage". Let's be honest, even if your doc gave you ZERO instructions, there is a big world wide web out there... lots of sources. I thing that people can get just so emotionally wound up in weight, food, fear of failing etc that they aren't "at their best".

while I was well prepared, educated (both self and by surgeon/NUT) for the sleeve I have in the past been just plain STUPID about maintaining my health.

Let me give you an example - I did weight watchers for years where you count points. I knew better but like i lot of people I got caught up in sort of trying cheat the system - you know, super high Fiber things calculated low points, that type of deal. Stupid, yes, but I did it.

There is something about being "ready" to really change that can be elusive. Some of us didn't know if we were ready but tried anyway.

Others thought they were ready but really weren't.

Some are in such a state of mind they don't even recognize "ready" as a concept.

I will admit to you all that I am one they got very very little postop instructions were very specific for the first four weeks and then after that I was told and I'm quoting here from the paper in front of me have a Protein Shake under 250 cal for Breakfast have no more than 3 ounces of Protein no more than half a cup of carbohydrate for lunch and do the same thing for dinner. Do not snack do not drink Water for one hour before a one hour after you eat. And that's what it said then go out and have a good life I guess. It's a good thing that part of my training as an instructor is to teach nutrition because at least I know the difference between a good carbs and a bad carb and I'm not going out and eating 3 ounces of bacon and half a cup of mashed potatoes gravy on it. But according to my doctors instructions that's just what I could do because that's all the instructions I got so what do you say about that? So I wake up every day and I think the Lord for BariatricPal because I know that I can find the answers here if I have questions now I'm never going to ask you guys it's okay that my 3 ounces of protein is all bacon because I'm not an idiot I know that that's not right. But I am going to ask you questions like what's the deal about drinking straws how come I'm not allowed to drink with a straw some people say it makes you burp it doesn't make me burp is it going to stretch my stomach? I don't know, so I do research part of the research is asking questions I don't have all the answers you don't have all the answers. But together we can answer enough questions. I do agree with you in that answering stupid questions gets really really old. And I have found in my short little time here that people really do want a way out, they do really want to "cheat". Until I get my food addiction under control, I've had to convince myself that bread, potatoes, Pasta and rice will absolutely kill me. I've put this image in my mind that my little tummy will explode if any of those items hit it. So I stayed away from those nasty things. Doesn't mean I don't want them, but if I can keep fooling my mind thinking that they're going to kill me then I will. and you know what all honesty if I continued to eat bread and pasta and potatoes and rice and sugar it would've killed me so it's really not that far stretch. Good luck to everybody.

Addiction is a terrible thing. My Wife knows a friend of friend who a week and half after bypass was blending crab rangoon because the craving for Chinese was so bad. No idea how he's doing now but that is some serious issues that need to be addressed if there any chances for a long term success. I hope he made it as I hope we all do.

There are various reasons or excuses. Personally, I have notice age has much to do with the questions asked. I read as much as possible and asked lots of questions before going under the knife. I would think any responcible person would. If one does the research they will find this surgery is not a cure all. They will also learn about the mental challenges during this process. To those that ask stupid questions, I say go for it. Nobody but yourself is going to stop you from taking ingorant actions after surgery. Another issue I notice is many on this site dont cook. Is this because you cant cook or their to lazy. Cooking isnt that difficult. If you need help go take a few classes. There is an interesting article in this months National Geographic on America's new obese hungry people. Bottom line everyone knows that fast food is bad for you, but they doent want to take the 35 minutes to perpare a meal. It's much easier to drive on down to Mc Donalds. Another interesting point is these same people can afford to feed their kids but all have a IPhones or so it seemed. I have a great job and do not see a cost benifit to own an Iphone with an expensive data plan. If I were broke I would rather eat that know what someone is doing on face book.

I like this Par. I have done enough country cooking in my lifetime (which fueled my love of biscuits, gravy and fried food because we were poor but ate well), to feed the masses at Madison Square Garden. Today I do not have to meal plan with the sleeve (my husband and I) and I love it. I can grab 1 small filet mignon ($4.50), 1 chicken breast, a piece of Mahi, or tinned crabmeat from the fish market, and cook a meal in 10 minutes. The sleeve has simplified our life.

Addiction is a terrible thing. My Wife knows a friend of friend who a week and half after bypass was blending crab rangoon because the craving for Chinese was so bad. No idea how he's doing now but that is some serious issues that need to be addressed if there any chances for a long term success. I hope he made it as I hope we all do.

SEEN ON ANOTHER FORUM:

A woman who recently had VSG surgery in Mexico saw three of her fellow patients -- the morning after they all had surgery -- mixing up and eating their prescribed chicken broth with scrambled eggs and refried Beans.

All the patients had been given written instructions on what to eat and what not to eat post-op.

SEEN ON ANOTHER FORUM:

A woman who recently had VSG surgery in Mexico saw three of her fellow patients -- the morning after they all had surgery -- mixing up and eating their prescribed chicken broth with scrambled eggs and refried Beans.

All the patients had been given written instructions on what to eat and what not to eat post-op.

I cannot believe this. If they lost weight it is a miracle.

More importantly, I hope they didn't spring leaks eating like that the morning after surgery.

BTW, I'm not fat shaming those three people. I'm nominating them for a Darwin Award.

I agree. I think some people put these wild hair things on here just to get a reaction from someone who did the same. That would (or would not) give them the go ahead to do the same.

I know that when I made the decision to go through with WLS, I knew it wouldn't be an easy road. There are some that are always looking for a short cut. That's the world we live in. The difference is to understand when and when not to take the "easy way." I know this journey is going to be difficult, but when I think of all the difficult things I have faced - cancer, divorce, miscarriage - this is going to be just another bump in the road to a healthier life.

I will soak up what my doctor and nutritionist says like a sponge, and believe me, what they don't volunteer to tell me, I have learned enough jargon on here, I sure know what to ask!!! Thanks my new friends!!!!!

More importantly, I hope they didn't spring leaks eating like that the morning after surgery.

BTW, I'm not fat shaming those three people. I'm nominating them for a Darwin Award.

Agreed! At that point I would be more worried about them physically hurting themselves.