Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5'5" , 370# which surgery?

I'm 5'5" and my starting weight was 446 pounds when I first saw the surgeon. I was expecting him to say the bypass but he thought the sleeve would be best for me. I dropped 85 pounds before my surgery through diet and exercise so my surgery weight was around 360 so don't assume the bypass would be the choice. It'll all depend on your surgeon.

I'd say to be 100% candid with the surgeon and tell them HOW you eat. Volume eating? Grazing? Carbs? What's your downfall? That may affect the choice.

Good luck.

Whatever weight loss surgery you decide on, the important thing is you are choosing yourself. You are showing up for a happy, healthy future. Congratulations on that -- you are worth the investment in yourself. Way to go!

I'm 5'5" and my starting weight was 446 pounds when I first saw the surgeon. I was expecting him to say the bypass but he thought the sleeve would be best for me. I dropped 85 pounds before my surgery through diet and exercise so my surgery weight was around 360 so don't assume the bypass would be the choice. It'll all depend on your surgeon.

I'd say to be 100% candid with the surgeon and tell them HOW you eat. Volume eating? Grazing? Carbs? What's your downfall? That may affect the choice.

Good luck.

Thank you! I plan on being totally honest with my surgeon. I love carbs, I'm not really a sweets eater.

Whatever weight loss surgery you decide on, the important thing is you are choosing yourself. You are showing up for a happy, healthy future. Congratulations on that -- you are worth the investment in yourself. Way to go!

Thank you so much, this decision has been a two year process.

Michelle, each surgery has it's benefits and downfalls. I think you need to do your research, talk with your surgeon and PCP and decide for yourself which is best for you. Also, see what your insurance will cover and what they won't. That could have a huge impact on your decision. Because I had High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, a tendency to get reflux, it was decided by me with input from surgeon and my primary that the best surgery for me was Bypass. I'm 4 months out, 60+ lbs down and only taking meds for High Blood pressure (probably only for another day or two after a much needed conversation I have to have with my PCP tomorrow about being light headed more and more which I believe is because of low blood pressure). Remember, you don't need to decide right away either, all of the procedures require all of the same pre-requisites so you have time before you need to decide. Make sure it's the right thing for you. Good luck to you, i will say - This will by far be the best thing you could ever do for yourself, I know it was for me.

I had wanted the sleeve but my surgeon would not do it bc of GERD. After talking with him, I felt comfortable with the bypass. I am 1 year out and have no regrets.

Good luck on your journey whichever surgery you decide.

@@MichelleTN

I'm 5'6" and 295ish. I'm getting the sleeve in about 3 months. I told my surgeon I thought the lap band would be useless for me and the re-routing of the intestines freaked me out. Not to mention all the Vitamins taken like every two hours for the rest of your life just seemed like waaaaay too much maintenance. Don't get me wrong, many people are successful with the bypass and I applaud their success. For me, I know I won't lose as much in the first year with the sleeve, but it will be enough to get me in the right direction. And potentially, both surgeries can have the same results if you work hard enough. Anyway, I just wanted to throw out there why I'm choosing the sleeve even though the bypass would give better results. My surgeon had no problem with my decision when I met with him last week.

@@mitzie46

How bad is your GERD post-op? I have it now (pre-op) but it's triggered by certain foods/drinks. I don't take any medication for it, mostly because I'm allergic to omeprazole. I do have to eat Tums like candy on occasion when I've eaten something I shouldn't. My surgeon said this was a concern of his for me getting the sleeve but he said only about 10% of people experience trouble with GERD related to the surgery and that since I can control mine with better food choices, I should be ok.

I chose bypass -- I wanted the surgery with the most history and the best results statisticis. I also had reflux pretty bad and didn't want to do anything that might make that worse (sleeve). I'm 6 weeks out today and very happy with my decision. The progression of foods was a little rough (Clear liquids, full liquids, puree'd then soft foods -- each a week) but I've been able to tolerate anything I've tried (plan foods only) and I've been losing weight.

@beachgurl84 -- I take my Vitamins and supplements once in the morning, once at night. I'm not sure where you got the impression it's "every two hours" but it's not hard to keep up with. Multi-Vitamin and B-12 in the morning, sometimes a big dose of Vitamin D, then Calcium and Biotin at bedtime. It's very easy to keep up with. Sometimes I might have extra calcium chews during the day.

Surgeons are biased too! I wound up very successful with sleeve but first surgeon I saw said no way... I needed bypass since I'd already failed with the lapband.

Do your research but my opinion you are too high BMI to consider lapband. If you go to research forum there are links to good articles comparing and reviewing studies.

Sleeve is a good choice as long as you do not have reflux or GERD. Bypass remains the gold standard for a reason.

News for all of you, sleeve still has elements of mal absorption and ongoing Vitamins are still required. My nutrient profile remains excellent but I found that many sleevers become B Vitamin deficient a few years post op.

Sleeve has worked great for me. I went from a BMI of over 50 to 23 but I am so far beating the averages. The problem with individual success stories is it can give unbalanced view. That is why reviewing actual research and asking surgeons questions about results in their own practice is important.

@SugarFreeMe was just thinking about the lightheadedness thing...experiencing that right now with "stars" in my eyes...not good...

I was as heavy, but a bit taller than you...as everyone stated, you have to figure which one is best... I would NEVER have gone with the band either...not good for someone with over 100 pounds to lose, most doctors are getting away from it anyway,

The sleeve keeps your intestines in place, just makes your stomach smaller, so you still absorb Vitamins thru your foods etc and you don't have to take the Vitamins like you HAVE to with gastric bypass...

I'm sure you will make the decision that you feel is right for you when the time comes

Don't let a high BMI alone dictate your choice of surgical options. Any procedure can and will work if your head is in it.

I started out with BMI of 78 at 488lbs. Regardless of which option you choose just know it is going to be hard work and it is going to take time. WLS is not just about weight loss and physical change. You need to change mentally and if you don't any option you choose could wind up being temporary.

Don't let a high BMI alone dictate your choice of surgical options. Any procedure can and will work if your head is in it.

I started out with BMI of 78 at 488lbs. Regardless of which option you choose just know it is going to be hard work and it is going to take time. WLS is not just about weight loss and physical change. You need to change mentally and if you don't any option you choose could wind up being temporary.

i agree with you Jim

i started out with a BMI of 62 and standing a very tall 5'1 on a good day.....

it can be done with any surgery..

calories in and out and exercise works with any WLS

I was 335 at my heaviest and 312 when I started my surgeon's program. Was 294 on the day of the surgery. We're the same height, but I also had Type II diabetes and borderline blood pressure. I chose the sleeve because I was not interested in the plumbing reroute and malabsorption. My surgeon has a lot of people who are really heavy do a sleeve then revises them to a RNY, but I have no intention of doing that. I'm still a work in progress since I was sleeved in May. Double check with your insurance if both surgeries are covered. I had it in my mind I wanted a sleeve but needed to make sure it was covered. Sometimes since it is newer, it is not covered.

I was 335 at my heaviest and 312 when I started my surgeon's program. Was 294 on the day of the surgery. We're the same height, but I also had Type II diabetes and borderline blood pressure. I chose the sleeve because I was not interested in the plumbing reroute and malabsorption. My surgeon has a lot of people who are really heavy do a sleeve then revises them to a RNY, but I have no intention of doing that. I'm still a work in progress since I was sleeved in May. Double check with your insurance if both surgeries are covered. I had it in my mind I wanted a sleeve but needed to make sure it was covered. Sometimes since it is newer, it is not covered.

Also with that said, You may want check what their policy is on revisions and whether it is covered. May never need it but it would be good to know and and it can factor into decision making.