Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5'5" , 370# which surgery?

I would suggest you read all the revision threads on here.. From band to sleeve from sleeve to rny.. If I had to do it again with the numbers you have I would not hesitate to go with rny. I'm 8 weeks from revision from band to rny and even though I had a low bmi of 35 I am down 32 pounds since surgery day. No complications.. Look on the forums and it could help you make a choice.. I would not recommend lapband at all. I was successful with mine lost all my weight 120 lbs in 9 months and loved it for almost 6 years and then it eroded and I had to have it taken out .. No fun!

I had a lap-band for 10 years and was well aquainted with many people who were banded around the same time as me (Mine was March 2001). The issue is that even for people very successful with the band (I was not) many have to have it removed or re-positioned due to slippage, dialated pouch, erosion etc over the long haul. I would say that of all the people I knew from that era, only one still has a fully functioning band that never needed surgical intervention. She was low BMI, got to goal after losing about 70 or so pounds and has been a long term success story. She has been able to maintain really well with little or no fill. I lost 70 or so pounds too, but was still over 200# and never got under it so I wasn't a success and she was even though we had similiar weight losses. When I had to have my fill removed due to reflux and pouch dialation I regained weight very fast.

My personal opinion is that for a high BMI person, that is an increased risk of never making it to goal and regain if the band does need some sort of "fixing" down the road. Of course anyone can regain but there are special issues with the super morbidly obese as our bodies and metabolism have been changed by the obesity. I am not trying to make this in to a band bashing, i just am sharing my personal experience and my observation of other people who were in the boat with me at the time is all.

I do agree everyone needs to make the best choice for them, and I want every banded person to be very successful, i just know that this component of the band is really an issue for those of us with lots to lose. I also think the band can work very well - but if it were me, with so much weight to lose, I would be thinking of the gastric bypass or sleeve.

Now, 3 years ago I was seriously considering the DS since I was so obese. When I had plastic surgery in 2013, one of the consults I had was with a USA surgeon who told me that he only had two patients with very serious complications and they both happened to be DSers. He told me that the procedure really has very special supplement needs and he was so concerned he didn't want to operate on people with that - whereas I know several people with DS who are doing well. It still got my attention of just how big of an impact bariatric surgery can have on our health.

I re-iterate - the sleeve does have a malabsorptive component, it is NOT just smaller stomach and you WILL need to supplement to maintain your health over the long haul. The issues show up years down the road, so people in the first few years typically aren't aware, but there are a few vets with Iron, and B Vitamin type deficiencies that I know of.

If you google studies about comparing WLS, or go to the research section of this forum - read up and be educated so you can ask your surgeon the right questions. Also know that revisions are much higher risk of complications than "virgin" surgeries so I advise you to keep that in mind as well.

I would add to those who think that anyone with RNY spends their days taking Vitamins, it's not true. I take 2 Gummy multi's in the morning and 2 at night along with a single tiny Vitamin D capsule at night - that's it, nothing more, nothing less. My labs come back with perfect results. I don't need to or have to take them ALL day long. Just sayin...............

@@MichelleTN

I'm 5'6" and 295ish. I'm getting the sleeve in about 3 months. I told my surgeon I thought the lap band would be useless for me and the re-routing of the intestines freaked me out. Not to mention all the Vitamins taken like every two hours for the rest of your life just seemed like waaaaay too much maintenance. Don't get me wrong, many people are successful with the bypass and I applaud their success. For me, I know I won't lose as much in the first year with the sleeve, but it will be enough to get me in the right direction. And potentially, both surgeries can have the same results if you work hard enough. Anyway, I just wanted to throw out there why I'm choosing the sleeve even though the bypass would give better results. My surgeon had no problem with my decision when I met with him last week.

Beachgurl84, Please don't be offended, but I feel compelled to clarify some of your beliefs about RNY. - First I'll preface by stating that I had originally "thought" that the sleeve would be best for me but after much research and conversations with both my surgeon and my PCP it was the final decision of mine to have bypass. I had RNY on March 17th of this year. Prior to surgery I took 2 Gummy multi Vitamin in the evening. Since surgery all I added was talking them in the morning along with a teenie tiny Vitamin D capsule. I don't live off Vitamins, I don't take them every 2 hours, there's no maintenance program to follow at all and doesn't impact my quality of life and it's certainly not an inconvenience. I don't know who gave you this information about having to take vitamins every 2 hours, but it's simply not true. With my twice daily Multi Vitamins and Vitamin D my labs come back perfect every time my blood is checked. That being said I'd like to ask you as kindly as possible to please refrain say these kinds of things to anyone who is trying to figure out what's best for them. I'll also mention that the "re-routing" of intestines as you refer to it for me is no more scary then having 3/4 of my stomach permanently removed. My stomach is 100% intact and is still 100% functioning, it just meets up with the food a little lower down but that's really not a big deal. I'm 4 months out and down 60 lbs. I'm off diabetes and cholesterol meds and I couldn't be happier or have more energy. Would someone find the same results with the sleeve surgery - absolutely and I fully believe that they should make that decision for themselves without my inputting information about surgeries I know nothing about. That's why I, as a post-op patient only provide my personal experience and don't speculate based on what I've heard. I hope you understand, I truly don't mean to offend, I just don't like miss-information being put out there.

I had RNY and I do have to take a bit of Vitamins. I take 2 Calcium citrate chewables three times a day, Multivitamin two times a day, Iron once a day, B12 once a day, and B50 once or twice a day. I also have to take a large dose of Vitamin D 2x a week, I have been doing that for a few years. Fifty thousand IUs 2x a week.

It is no big deal though....

Beachgurl84

My GERD is gone. I still take omeprazole but I honestly don't think I need to. Preop my gerd was pretty bad, and my surgeon thought the sleeve would make it worse. He said that rny can cure gerd for some people. It did for me.

I take my Vitamins faithfully but honestly it is not a big deal. I am off my c-pap, asthma medication, and blood pressure medication. I cant believe how much life I was missing before this surgery. It is the best decision I have ever made health wise.

I went with my surgeon's advice & had a gastric bypass on April 8, 2014. My highest weight was 350 & today I weigh 237. I had complications after surgery, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

My surgeon recommended RNY because of my sweet tooth. I know the "rearranging" of the insides sounds scary but this is the surgery that is the "gold standard" and it's been around a really long time.

In my honest opinion, it was the best choice for me. I no longer crave sweets (or anything, really) and I've lost 40 lbs at about 9 weeks out, without any exercise (I had trouble with dehydration and Protein intake, but now I'm good and exercising!).

My mom had the sleeve 3 years ago and she's lost over 100 lbs and kept it off. The only problem is, she fell into the habit of drinking soda and can't seem to get rid of her little belly in the middle. Granted, she's not one for much exercise (1-2 times a week) and again, with the soda and some bad eating habits. The sleeve is a newer surgery so not a TON of research has been done yet, as opposed to RNY. I'm not sure if it's easier to fall back into bad habits with the sleeve, but that's just my personal experience. I don't want my stomach to stretch at all. I wanna eat like a bird for the rest of my life! Lol.

But I digress. As everyone has said, talk to your surgeon and see what he/she says. Also, it helps if the specific surgery is covered by your insurance.

Surgeons are biased too! I wound up very successful with sleeve but first surgeon I saw said no way... I needed bypass since I'd already failed with the lapband.

Do your research but my opinion you are too high BMI to consider lapband. If you go to research forum there are links to good articles comparing and reviewing studies.

Sleeve is a good choice as long as you do not have reflux or GERD. Bypass remains the gold standard for a reason.

News for all of you, sleeve still has elements of mal absorption and ongoing Vitamins are still required. My nutrient profile remains excellent but I found that many sleevers become B Vitamin deficient a few years post op.

Sleeve has worked great for me. I went from a BMI of over 50 to 23 but I am so far beating the averages. The problem with individual success stories is it can give unbalanced view. That is why reviewing actual research and asking surgeons questions about results in their own practice is important.

I'm deciding between the sleeve & bypass. I've never wanted the lap band . I've considered the sleeve for two years, never really wanted the bypass but after going to the seminar I've been considering it. Mainly because I think he will suggest it & he talked about high bmi people needing it. I've already had my gallbladder taken years ago & sometimes food "goes right through me" (tmi) so the dumping concerns me.

I plan on asking lots of questions when I get my first appointment & I've read a bunch on each.

So that's why I wanted feed back from people close to my bmi/height/ weight. Kind of like a mini poll.

THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING TIME TO POST.

I truly love this site. I've never told anyone my weight before. Love that I can post here & know people will help.

i agree with you Jim

i started out with a BMI of 62 and standing a very tall 5'1 on a good day.....

it can be done with any surgery..

calories in and out and exercise works with any WLS

@ Carolinagirl

How much have you lost? Surgery date?

To add to my earlier comments: I really do think it is a decision you and your surgeon should make together. Ultimately between the two of you, you can decide which is the best tool for you to use to get where you want to be. After 2 or 3 years I do believe all 3 surgeries end up pretty close together in where you end up statistically. You just need to decide based on YOUR lifetime of being you and the surgeon's expertise and view of his experience which one would be your best bet.

I'm 5'5", 370#.. Would you choose sleeve or bypass? & why? Anyone started with my numbers & had sleeve?

I belong to many WLS groups. One woman had the band 10 years ago. She is down 250. She has a web site and does support groups. She looks amazing. The thing I love about the band is my insides are not cut or removed. Do what you want not what society says. Good luck with which ever one you decide to do.

This website has some great information that shows the differences in surgeries and what to expect regarding weight loss and complications/risks:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/wlsurgery.html

There's also a nice unbiased comparison tool at the site for the Realize band. You put in your information regarding weight, height, comorbidities and it shows you stats for the 3 surgeries, how much to expect to lose, possible risks/complications.

https://www.realize.com/do-i-qualify/potential-results

It present unbiased statistical information to help you make your decision along with your doctor.

Edited by Ginger Snaps

This website has some great information that shows the differences in surgeries and what to expect regarding weight loss and complications/risks:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/wlsurgery.html

There's also a nice unbiased comparison tool at the site for the Realize band. You put in your information regarding weight, height, comorbidities and it shows you stats for the 3 surgeries, how much to expect to lose, possible risks/complications.

https://www.realize.com/do-i-qualify/potential-results

It present unbiased statistical information to help you make your decision along with your doctor.

Thank you!!!!

I like that comparison tool, very helpful - but I feel it is missing a few key things - example, the most serious long term complication with the sleeve is bad acid reflux. If a person has GERD that would be a major reason to chose RNY over the Sleeve, for example.