Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello ladies and gentlemen

This is my first post but I have been reading on here since April. I thought it was time to sign up to start talking and stop hiding. You all seem like a genuinely caring community. Not like some of the other sites I have been on so I took a leap and signed up here today.

I have been heavy - no lets call it what it is - I have been obese for at least the past 10 years. Now I need a change. Weight Watchers, HCG, Atkins diet, and going to a personal trainer has done nothing lasting for me. I know most of you have been trhough the same thing and then some so I won't spend a lot of time dwelling on this.

Someone told me at the beginning of the year that weight loss surgery might be a good option for me. At first I was very hurt, then I was mad, and now I think they might have been on to something. So i have been researching all 3 and I have learned a ton. I have decided not to go with the lap band but other than that I am still in limbo.

I recently talked to my PCP and she said that in her experience people that decide to have weight loss surgery usually go through with it. I am unsure if that was suppose to be negativity on her part or some kind of encouragement? She had no preference on which surgery, just told me she would sign a medically necessary form if that is what I really want.

This has gotten longer than I intended but I wanted to say hello and good luck to the people still waiting for surgery. The post-surgery people - I am in awe of you all. :D

Welcome Jade :) The people here are amazing.

Edited by Dreamin Again

Hi Jade. I am 9 weeks post-op gastric sleeve. It was the best thing I ever did. I am feeling better and losing every day! Good luck to you!

Hi Jade,

Good luck with your decision. My surgeons office requires a great deal of education. They go through each WLS option in great detail, including complication rates and "life after." They ask you to think about which surgery you are interested in and then individually discuss with surgeon. In my experience, the surgeon answered my remaining questions and asked me which surgery I wanted. I told him the sleeve and he said he thought that would be a good option for me. My point is that you have consultation with your surgeon before having to decide for sure. Good luck with your decision.

Welcome Jade!

Feel free to post about fears, ask your questions, and continue to research. You will find a wealth of information here.

You'll find nay sayers in your life - they may be family members, friends, even members of the medical community. Do your research and network here. You'll know when you're ready to commit.

Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the forum Jade. Don't be afraid to ask questions? You'll find people here who love their band and those who were not successful with their band and revised to other WLS options.

I won't sugar coat it, for some folks this journey has been a breeze and for others, very difficult. Just be ready to make a major lifestyle change for the better.

Welcome, Jade! I am pre-op myself, currently right in the middle of all my pre-op tests. Man it seems like so much. But I'm excited. Your surgeon will go over all your options and explain the surgeries thoroughly, but ultimately, the choice is yours. It's great that your PCP seems like she is on board with your decision. That's important. Continue to research, especially surgeons in your area, because with this type of medical event , I would want simply the best working on me! (Which is happening in my case, lol!)

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Sleeved 5-22.. Down 31 since surgery 42 including pre-op diet. I feel good! No complications and I can still chug Water with the best of them. :) eating such small amounts still and don't have much variety in my diet which I'm sure will get boring as time goes on but for now the weight is falling off so it keeps me motivated. Sorry to those of you struggling. I don't think it's normal to be vomiting at this stage of the game. That is the first thing my dr asks me and told me to let him know if I do. You might want to check with him/her. Good luck. Sounds like we are all fading away (in a good way). :-)

Edited by babish

whatever WLS you and your doctor decide to get, if you use it as advised, it will have the best results...the surgery itself will only do so much (and many people who struggle are finding that little tidbit out)....the person MUST change how they eat, what they eat and most important their THINKING

i was super morbid obese.starting BMI of a massive 62 (i am very short so i was as wide as i am tall)...it was either or for me.....i had to make that change....so i wish you nothing but luck...write down questions you have and ask your surgeon as it relates to you...on this forum you will get good and bad, on all WLS and this is better and that is better and such...but this is about YOU...getting well means healthier weight and better quality of life...go for it...

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

Originally, when I asked my doctor if I was a good candidate for a lap band, he referred me to the bariatric clinic at Loyola University in Chicago. When I went for my first appointment, the staff explained the different options for weight loss surgery. I went with the sleeve on December 13, 2013, because I did not like the idea of a port with a lap band. I had no idea that you were left with a port.

I have had a couple of dark days where I have wondered what the heck did I do?, but overall, I do not regret my sleeve one little bit. I am halfway to goal and feel better in many ways. Also, my primary doctor has begun the process of eliminating medications.

I am sure that you will make the best decision for your particular medical needs. I wish you good luck and good health, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome Jade! This is a very caring community and you will find people who are here to help you. When we encounter Negative Nancie's and Pitiful Petes we usually bash them until they leave, so it keeps the forum pretty clean, kind and gentle. We are all fighting the same battle, there's no need for wars amongst each other.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on making a decision as to what type of surgery you will undergo. Best wishes.

Choosing to have weight loss surgery was incredibly empowering for me -- I showed up for myself and my healthy future and I haven't looked back since. It has been a very exciting process. Be prepared for a lot of appointments and hoops galore, but it's all worth it. I started my research in June of 2013 and had surgery in November. Those months of reading posts, asking questions and sorting through which information was applicable to me or resonated for my situation, etc., is what gave me the confidence to go forward into the unknown. I got way more information here than I did through my hospital. Even though I love my surgeon and they have been great, this is the place where I can get my questions answered. Welcome aboard!

Thank you Madam Reverie you seem to be a delightful person.

Dreamin Again thank you and I agree so far.

Ad1203 Continued good fortune to you.

Jennyinky, that is the kind of surgeon's office and surgeon that I am hoping to find.

Thank you McButterpants!

2muchfun Thank you for your honesty. I am SO ready to make a major lifestyle change!

DaronB Good luck with the rest of your pre-op testing! Good luck in your journey also.

Babish It sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations on the weight loss.

Carolinagirl Thank you and congratulations on your success!

Miss Mac Eliminating medications must make you very happy. Thank you.

Prettythick1 I totally agree with you! Thanks :)

LadyVS Thank you!

Bandista I have decided to "show up for myself" now also. It is past time and I am ready for the good stuff to get better ;)

Thanks again to all of you,

Jade