Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After reading complications people are going through years later with the SLEEVE... I'm too scared now to do it!

If you don't want the sleeve, don't get the sleeve. Maybe it isn't the answer for you, or maybe not yet. I'm looking at it as risk vs. benefit- the potential benefit of the surgery(and lifestyle changes) far outweighs the risk of actually having the surgery. I'm already having significant health issues from my weight, have tried everything with varying levels of success and always gained back more than I lost. It's time for me to get healthy and I believe that I've found the way for me to accomplish that. My doctor is skilled, I've been tested 9 ways from Sunday and I'm as ready as I can be. Am I scared? Of course, but I'm more scared that I won't be able to accomplish the psychological changes that need to happen. Either way, whatever you decide, I wish you well.

I remember reading a strange little fact, about the number of people over 40 who just drop dead essentially due to being obese. I got interested in this after it happened to a distant aquaintance who was obese and in her 50s. Hit a bit too close to home.

I was just thinking, if there were whole web pages devoted to the "died of obesity" victims I wonder if it would help us see the risks in a more balanced way?

My point is this - weight loss surgery of ANY KIND is drastic (don't be fooled into thinking the band has no risks as it does and many of them are longer term damage and scar tissue etc - I had the band for 10 years so speak from experience). Any pre ops SHOULD be a little worried about risks and complications as it is a real thing. However, we should also worry about the risks associated with keeping on the obesity path too.

I remember reading a strange little fact, about the number of people over 40 who just drop dead essentially due to being obese. I got interested in this after it happened to a distant aquaintance who was obese and in her 50s. Hit a bit too close to home.

I was just thinking, if there were whole web pages devoted to the "died of obesity" victims I wonder if it would help us see the risks in a more balanced way?

My point is this - weight loss surgery of ANY KIND is drastic (don't be fooled into thinking the band has no risks as it does and many of them are longer term damage and scar tissue etc - I had the band for 10 years so speak from experience). Any pre ops SHOULD be a little worried about risks and complications as it is a real thing. However, we should also worry about the risks associated with keeping on the obesity path too.

So much this! I'm in my mid-40s. I see how fast my body started going downhill with obesity-related issues. The risk of surgery was very minimal in my mind compared to staying as big as I was (or getting bigger, because it was getting to the point where I was having trouble walking or cycling for a significant distance. Hell, I was out of breath just doing laundry at home and needed daily naps to get through the day)

Now? I sleep well. I wake alert. I'm active and have enough energy to get through the day...and that's at 8 weeks out. My blood pressure's normal. My sleep apnea's a thing of the past. My hips and knees only protest when I do too many squats or run up and down the stairs too many times (like today, cleaning the attic), but for walking or cycling, they're just fine. My range of motion has increased.

Yes, WLS is a huge step. It is a drastic measure. But when I considered the alternatives, the risk was much lower than staying on the course I was on.

I am 13 days post RNY. No matter what happens to me, I am in heaven that I went through with this. The alternatives were more frightening.

You sound like me lol I finally decided on the sleeve over the band. I was freaking out about cutting out part of my stomach and leaks, etc. But, honestly, I prayed for God to give me some peace if it was the right thing to do and since then I really feel quite comfortable with it, even excited :) At first I was like, "I'll just use the surgery money to see a therapist and get a personal trainer and do this the old fashioned way!". But then I thought about how I've been overweight and sad since I can remember. And how every couple of months I'd make a "change" and set the same goals that I'd never achieve. And I don't want to look back at this time a year from now and say "Wow, I could have gotten my surgery and maybe I'd be happy and healthy by now…" I'm only 22 and I don't want to waste a second more. My mom has the lap band and she had such a rough time at first and its been about six years and she still throws up sometimes BUT she has lost around 150 pounds. Still.. I like the sleeve because there are far less complications and no follow up like the band. I would meditate on it for awhile until you find peace about it. Good luck!

I read some of these posts over and over and I am going to be very Honest, and one that keeps coming back to me is 1cutechubbychic, I wish we all lived close enough where we could meet for our own support groups and really get to know each other, but since that isn't possible I want to address 1cutechubbychic and say, Please don't make your decision on any posts , we are all individuals and I really let 2 other support sites scare me to death the first time around, and I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO EITHER ONE AGAIN. All I heard was negativity and people complaining, (SCARED the daylights out of me) Think about the future of our obesity and then compare that to the surgery benefits, if I said I wasn't still scared some I would be lying but I 'll tell you one thing that got to me, I had to cancel last time as I have said before but when I decided to do this again I went back and looked at some others who I talked to last time and to see them now with their weight loss made me Happy for them but made me sick for myself , because they all look so good and talk about coming off of meds , and can move a lot easier now. Sure we may have a small complication or 2 but hey it is all a part of the journey, I don't want to make you change your mind , just Please talk with your surgeon, and ASK ASK ASK ASK questions and know that we can all get thru is , we just have to listen to our heart. Hope all have a Wonderful experience.

It sounds like WLS is not for you. Best wishes.

Thanks but it IS for me , I just worry ... I really want and need it.. I don't understand why some people have leaks Years later??

With the band you are attached to your surgeon/office to have fill adjustments for the rest of your life if you never get the band removed <<that alone was enough for me to choose the sleeve. The band causes scar tissue and ulcers and all types of complications ..if you move you have to find a clinic that will do your fills and insurance only covers a few post op usually so you will have to come out of pocket for a lot of the fills and unfills. What if you're 3 mths post op and still haven't reached restriction? What if you have an over fill where you can't swallow ur spit without gagging but the clinic doesnt open until Monday? The lapband complications scared me more than the vsg. I think leaks have a lot to do with the surgeon. But there is still the risk down the road. Wls is a radical approach to weightloss so there are always risks .

Thanks so much hopeful one! I see more good than bad with the sleeve and I pray for you all is perfect as I'm sure it will go for you! I just am the kind of person who asks tons of questions and some people may be annoyed but oh well lol

I'm a nice person with a big heart and never meant to scare anyone.. I have children and need to be here for them .. Right now I'm an extremely healthy chubby girl , not on any meds and I have no illnesses but not sure how long this will last so yes I am here to ask opinions and I appreciate people like you !

I'm also someone whose only major medical problem is being morbidly obese. I too have read the stories on here, and other sites. I pesonally know people that have had both the Roux-N-Y and the sleeve. Not one of them had a complication. That doesn't mean I cannot have a complication, or even die, just that it is not as likely.

I chose a board-certified doctor who works in a Baratric Center of Excellence. They have a great and comprehensive program (UC Davis). I feel so comfortable with my doctor. If something goes wrong, it won't be because of something he did or did not do. It's funny, when I saw him the other day he said to me that I looked petrified with fear during the group orientation, so much so that he mentioned it during the staff team meeting they held the next day. Apparently, it was written all over my face! He reminded me that this was not a race and that it will take as much time as it needs to take and that I can always decide not to have the surgery. He's totally right - we have to take as much time as we need to in order to decide what course is right for us. But I know if I stay this way, I will continue to be less and less healthy as the years pass by. It's not a question of IF I will develop diabetes but WHEN. I've been seeing this scenario play out with my dad for the past 25 years...I don't want to go there. So that's my thought process.

Whatever your decision is, I am glad to see that you are considering all sides, both the good and the bad. This is the only way to truly come to a informed decision, to be at peace with whatever you choose to do.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone I appreciate you all being so sweet , caring and understanding,, I rubbed some people the wrong way with some questions already but ... Well I had a thought..

Why are lots of peoples Tummy's so Sensitive post op? I understand you just had surgery .. I hear some people say they can't "tolerate " things like salad and eggs and chicken months out so they done eat it..Isn't the surgery supposed to make your tummy SMALLER but NOT DIFFERENT?? Just asking and please don't bash me I am only curious I'm not being negative! Im most likely having the sleeve done and it was confusing how some people are do sensitive now! Any answers are greatly appreciated !

I have been in a Drs. office all day from 10:30 till 3:30 WHEW! But had positive feedback from both my Med. Dr. and My Surgeon. I really like them both and trust them so very much. They were amazed at how much I had read up on the sleeve but everything felt different this time. Hope all is doing well & feeling good . I have lost 15 lbs and they only said to try and lose 10 more in the next three months.I may see if they can schedule me for surgery in Jan. instead of November because I really don't need to miss work right before Christmas. We need my paychecks coming in but we will see. I got my Lab work done or at least part of it. I still have to do an upper GI, EKG,And a Colonoscopy YUCK!they said they just want to make sure they are checking everything. Well everyone have a great evening.

Upper GI - had several, no sweat. They knock you out.

EKG - anything metal with a wire attached to a females' chest is WRONG ('nuf said)

Colonoscopy - the prep is worse than the camera itself. I had an EGD at the same time as my colonoscopy. I asked them are you going to put it down my throat first, I hope?

Trust me no sweat, but you have to understand I've been checked a LOT. Had a spine MRI done, with and without contrast. 20 min for one and 30 for the other. No drugs, went in cold.

On to the next activity.

Its the RESULTS you want to sweat over ROFL.

Thanks everyone I appreciate you all being so sweet , caring and understanding,, I rubbed some people the wrong way with some questions already but ... Well I had a thought..

Why are lots of peoples Tummy's so Sensitive post op? I understand you just had surgery .. I hear some people say they can't "tolerate " things like salad and eggs and chicken months out so they done eat it..Isn't the surgery supposed to make your tummy SMALLER but NOT DIFFERENT?? Just asking and please don't bash me I am only curious I'm not being negative! Im most likely having the sleeve done and it was confusing how some people are do sensitive now! Any answers are greatly appreciated !

I am almost 5 months out and can eat anything..ive tried candy...cakes ..cookies ...of course not all the time and not in any amount ..just a taste here and there ..i think just trying those things helped me realize that im not missing anything...ive never had any dumping yet.. the only thing that doesnt agree with me is rice ..i havent had red meat or pork in years so im not sure about those. I think a sleeve stomach is more sensitive because it is smaller and the things that are harder to digest for you effect you more now because there is less room for gas and digestive juices.

I have been in a Drs. office all day from 10:30 till 3:30 WHEW! But had positive feedback from both my Med. Dr. and My Surgeon. I really like them both and trust them so very much. They were amazed at how much I had read up on the sleeve but everything felt different this time. Hope all is doing well & feeling good . I have lost 15 lbs and they only said to try and lose 10 more in the next three months.I may see if they can schedule me for surgery in Jan. instead of November because I really don't need to miss work right before Christmas. We need my paychecks coming in but we will see. I got my Lab work done or at least part of it. I still have to do an upper GI, EKG,And a Colonoscopy YUCK!they said they just want to make sure they are checking everything. Well everyone have a great evening.

Damn. Was all that prep because you are high risk? Or is that just thier normal pre op ? I just had labs drawn ,urinalysis,ekg ,and some vaccinations.. preop ...then a swallow test post op ... why are they making you so a colonoscopy? Im glad you're moving along with your process and wish u well with your surgery.

Freezepop, They are very adamant about making sure you are checked out from head to toe, I am just glad I have good insurance. :) I didn't mention the Fecal test. LOL No I am not high risk , at all, as a matter of fact all of my labs are excellent, cholesterol is only 165, thyroid is performing well, I don't have my gall bladder . :) he (my surgeon ) told me he was very pleased with everything, they are just making sure everything is good. Oh I forgot, My surgeon said he Sleeved a 71 yr old and they were doing great. I love this forum. I hope all goes well for everyone.

Freezepop, They are very adamant about making sure you are checked out from head to toe, I am just glad I have good insurance. :) I didn't mention the Fecal test. LOL No I am not high risk , at all, as a matter of fact all of my labs are excellent, cholesterol is only 165, thyroid is performing well, I don't have my gall bladder . :) he (my surgeon ) told me he was very pleased with everything, they are just making sure everything is good. Oh I forgot, My surgeon said he Sleeved a 71 yr old and they were doing great. I love this forum. I hope all goes well for everyone.

Yes thank god for insurance . Geez a poop test? Lol was it just a stool sample or a defacography where they watch u go? They shouldve thrown in a mammogram . :) Im glad your labs came back good. Atleast your surgeon is being thorough. That's a good thing