Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After reading complications people are going through years later with the SLEEVE... I'm too scared now to do it!

<p>Then why aren't you talking to a surgeon if it IS for you? Talk to them, get the research. People here are going to tell you your experiences. If you need data go for that, but if you need hand holding (and some of us are getting that impression) than you need to go find bariatric surgeons and discuss the matter with them.</p>

Thanks, i am a big girl, I don't need " hand holding" I just want facts.. This may not be for me and I get that, I however I think it's good to ask as many questions to everyone, not just the surgeons, but to real people who live with complications. I have my surgeons appointment in a few weeks and obviously will ask him tons of questions. I'm just torn and trying to get advice and decide on what's right for me. I've been heavy my whole life, I would live the Sleeve... I'm not bashing it just need to ask opinions and I will make my choice when I'm ready! Thanks for that input though.

Before I had my sleeve I read this blog up and down and sideways. Especially the complication forum.

I also read other sites

Internet, basically anything I could get my hands on BUT

I've not seen someone get a leak "years" later

As someone suggested you should discuss complications with your surgeon.

1cutechubbychic, I just want to say , I honestly know where you are coming from , this is my second time of going thru this, the first time I was ready for surgery and my husband was diagnosed with cancer and I cancelled my surgery because I had to take care of him but at that time (approx. 3 years ago) I was glad I had to cancel because I was very uncertain at that time. I since have researched and researched and I feel like I am better prepared this time but if I said I wasn't scared I would be lying. I do wish I could do this on my own and have said if I lose 50lbs before surgery I may change my mind, but please stay strong and do what you and your surgeon feel is right for you. I wish you all the Luck in the world and hope after you talk with your surgeon you will be more at peace with it all and like you have said there are complications in all of the surgeries , some just may not experience them, but none are completely promise free of complications, everyone has their own opinions and rightly so ,but you just stay strong as I said and Do what you feel is right for you. GOOD LUCK. I hope everyone who has surgery has Absolutely NO COMPLICATIONS from their surgery and come thru it feeling great and end up losing all the weight they need too.

It's human to worry about complications . I'm sure every single one of us have. My cousin did also, and actually canceled surgery THREE times! Always something would come up, and to her it was a "sign" . Well, I had mine a month ago, I love it. And there my cousin is, who I love to pieces , still heavy and unhealthy. Good luck in your decision!

Thanks so much hopeful one! I see more good than bad with the sleeve and I pray for you all is perfect as I'm sure it will go for you! I just am the kind of person who asks tons of questions and some people may be annoyed but oh well lol

I'm a nice person with a big heart and never meant to scare anyone.. I have children and need to be here for them .. Right now I'm an extremely healthy chubby girl , not on any meds and I have no illnesses but not sure how long this will last so yes I am here to ask opinions and I appreciate people like you !

1cutechubbychiq,Sure hope things are going well for you today,Not only you but any of us need to ask questions and find out all we can,I don't have a problem with that,I think it is a very smart thing to do.The first time I didn't ask my surgeon anything because a friend of mine had went thru it and I thought I had found out everything I needed to know from her but I was wrong , and I won't make that mistake this time. I am in the process of making my list of questions to take with me. LOL I hate this 6 month supervised weight loss process, it gives you to much time to think. Well just wanted to check in with you and let you know I am here if you need to talk. Take care Peggy

I would also like to see the data you found about people having leaks years after surgery. I have not seen any mention of that happening.

RJ posted this past week about a leak over a year out. It was caused by an ulcer, but overall a sleeve complication. Rare, but it is one of the various complications that can indeed happen. Everyone needs to go into this fully informed and prepared for the risks as well as the benefits.

You're right. But RJ is a very special case (and I mean that in the nicest way, as an incredible person and medical miracle) Unfortunately she has had an ongoing issue with leaks and other complications from the very beginning. It's not like everything was fine and then, BAM, got a leak out of nowhere years later. I actually learned a lot from reading her posts and could only hope I'd have her strength if I had complications.

And you're right, everyone needs to be fully informed of all the risks, side effects and lifestyle requirements. Those that don't are the ones posting threads about regret, frustration and depression over the things they should have known about before deciding to have surgery. I really feel bad for how hard this is for them and there's no going back.

Edited by Kindle

I would agree with that but what about those who had a problem doctor that no one else knew about BECAUSE others didn't pass it on?

I'm finding a number of different issues that people have had with the doctors in the group I was with and no one warned me. They just left or whatever.

This is the importance of sharing and of taking a stand for yourself. This is why you rate docs. If you have good items, no problem. Its how they are under the tough circumstances that you want to find out how they are.

Mine is technically positive but it was the attitude and everything else, the after care, or the lack thereof, that has caused me no end of problems and people are really wondering why this had to happen. The fact remains is that I said there were issues, the surgeon doesn't seem to have the experience to deal with them, nor did he have the personality too. If you are willing to disobey the law in terms of HIPAA, or if you didn't know about it, you should have, then that should make a difference.

The other is, yes, we have too many people who don't investigate too.

Oh wow. The band isn't exactly a safer option. LOL

Hmmm... every study I've seen does demonstrates that the band is safer than the sleeve. It is less effective however and more likely to lead to minor complications that may require additional surgery. But definitely fewer deaths - at least in the short term (longterm, more bandsters may die of obesity-related conditions than sleevers due to lower effectiveness).

Just did a quick search and came across this sample data:

http://asmbs.org/resources/studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and-effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-surgery-procedure

From this article:

In one study, Stanford University researchers analyzed safety data from nearly 270,000 metabolic and bariatric surgeries performed between 2007 and 2010. Nearly 16,000 of the procedures were sleeve gastrectomies, which had a 30-day serious complication rate of less than one percent (0.96%), compared to a rate of 1.25 percent for gastric bypass and one-quarter of one percent (0.25%) for gastric banding.

The 30-day mortality rate for sleeve gastrectomy was 0.08 percent, while the rate for gastric bypass was 0.14 percent and 0.03 percent for gastric banding. These mortality and complication rates are lower than those typically associated with gallbladder or hip replacement surgery.

Kindle is right. The risk from all the complications from obesity make weight loss surgery very compelling. At 56, I had so many...diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea (they caught that only as part of my work-up prior to surgery) A-fib related to the sleep apnea, arthritis starting in my hip and knees... shall I go on? Yes, there are risks to the surgery, of course, and there have been some people who have had serious complications. As with any surgery, the risk also depends on your state of health beforehand. It is very very important that you research your surgeon and find one that is board certified and has lots of experience doing the type of surgery you want. A good surgical/recovery team will seriously limit the risk to you.

As for me, I am 3+ weeks out, my surgery went extremely well, I had no complications and am ridiculously happy that I decided to do this!!!

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:17205]

I'm so happy for you, you deserve to be happy and healthy!

Just thought I would throw this out there, Do you'll know that We can live WITHOUT our WHOLE STOMACH. It is not an organ that we absolutely have to have, Just Saying. :)