Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is food ALWAYS involved?!

So, I'm about 8 weeks post-op from the lap-band and at a short stall. I know pre-surgery, this would mean I was already binging because I was pissed off I wasn't losing enough yet.

Well, I've had a few down days, and it seems EVERY DAY at work, there is food for some reason or the other. Last week, a food delivery was mixed up, so there were Bagels and muffins downstairs. Yesterday, there was cake in the conference room 10 steps from my cube to welcome the new employees. Today, bagels and muffins on the correct delivery day for an agency meeting, THEN, Cookies this afternoon to meet the employees we had cake for yesterday.

I mean REALLY. This is why America is fat. Soooo many people at my agency complain about gaining weight once they work here because there is ALWAYS food. And I just watch people; loading up their plates with 2 bagels and a muffin. A cookie in each flavor. I'm not saying I don't want one, and the availability constantly makes it hard to resist. Since surgery I have not given in, but damn sometimes I want to!

Can anyone else relate?

Edited by betty_s

Stay strong girl! It's tough when everybody celebrates everything with food!!! I know! Just remember that nothing tastes as good as being at a healthy weight feels. ;)

This is a real challenge. I work in HR and we are trying to promote employee wellness by ordering veggies and fruit instead of Cookies and muffins. It's a culture change that has to happen. Most people just choose the high car, high sugar because its easy and everyone likes it. Even our food vendor tried to introduce healthy Snacks and people would only buy the crap so they had to give up, can't waste the money on fruit if it sits and rots. It is an epidemic!

My office throws big potluck parties for every birthday. Every. Single. Birthday. There are 40 people here, which means two conference tabels loaded with all kinds of crap food at least once a week. :blink: It's a disaster.

I just want to add that I can see these conference tables from my desk. Since the most recent birthday feast was Friday, there are still bags of chips and Cookies and candy out there. Save me. lol :P

Yes, I can relate! I work in an area of a hospital where we frequently get free lunch. Which is not usually healthy. A rep is always bringing donuts or Bagels. Donuts are my kryptonite! Six months post op, I have been able to resist every time. One day, I will eat a donut. But right now, I want to lose weight more than I want that donut. And when I do eat one, I'll eat ONE. Not three like I used to.

Almost everything we do revolves around food. Celebrations...food, sickness...food...depression...food...death food.< /p>

It's a human thing, and it's probably one of those primal things left over from millions of years ago where food was so scarce that having it around during "special" times was the only time you had any.

Today that is not the case. We don't need to have an event to have a bag of M&M's we just need to walk to the nearest vending machine drop in our money sell our soul so some chocolate covered sugary relief to what ever ails you. That is unless of course you are overweight or obese and food is the very thing that not only ails you but plagues your every thought.

My office also has all that food and then more and more and more food. We have a morning meeting we have food, muchkins and donuts and Cookies OH MY!!!

I really try to focus my life not around food, though I can't help it...I do have to think about food and eating. I try to focus on what I am eating or what I am going to eat rather then what is available to me.

When I am in the morning meeting with Dunkin Donuts...I bring my Protein bar and my coffee made at home in a thermos. I don't feel left out, I am having something yummy and chocolatey and it fills me up and it's good for me. My coffee is just as yummy and is made with sugar free flavored Creamer so I don't regret not having that 1000 calorie mocha something coffee.

When we have food brought in, I try to find out from where and think about how I can make that food work for me. I take the meat off the bread, I take an extra serving of vegies and I bring some Mio or flavor for my Water bottle. They usually have the cake and Cookies etc but they always have fruit and if they have fruit I can make that work. I'll buy some fat free cool whip to leave in the freezer and add that to my fruit and I am happy happy happy.

We have a full cafe here and if you can believe this..they are having a raffle for a nice new 10 speed bike! I would love that...but guess what you have to buy a bag of chips and a Pepsi product to qualify for the raffle. Really? I don't think so, I'll pass and ride the bike I have (which is in excellent shape, but who can pass up a raffel?!) Me that's who! I don't need the chips and soda, I'll pass and save my calories for some popcorn at the movies with my hubby tonight :)

i started my own birthday tradition that doesnt involve food! yay me!

OK what is it...share share share :)

i started my own birthday tradition that doesnt involve food! yay me!

I would really like to have some thought on this because I am having my surgery around my birthday and I need a better way for my family to Celebrate instead if burgers and chocolate cake.

OK what is it...share share share :)

i belong to the JCC (like the Y), but mine has a private spa. for 10$ you can get a pass. so we (my girls) all went to a yoga class, then did the hot tub, sauna, and steam room. then went to the lounge and hung out and had tea, coffee and chocolate. spent the afternoon together, yakked and laughed and had a great time. next year wr are going indoor rock climbing. (my birthday is in jan)

one of our girls is moving this summer, we are going to pay someone to come give us all foot massages and someone to do tarot readings. it will still cost us less than dinner out would. and we get to spend time together and yak and hang out.

The weird thing about carb/sugar world is that it doesn't even taste good. Keep in mind, you're not really missing anything yummy....so much crap out there and thank goodness we're not shoveling it in out of habit and being one of the gang. Um, no thanks! Way to go choosing yourself and your healthy future first. Way better than any of that crap.

Change your celebrations to be less food focused. Enjoy a family craft. Work on putting photos into albums. Take a walk or play a game.

For birthdays, maybe an outing instead of a meal. My birthday is in the fall, so I like to go pick a pumpkin and take a hay ride.

At Thanksgiving, make a gratitude tree. Cut leaf shapes out of construction paper or buy paper leaves. Get some pretty pens and have everyone write down something they are grateful for. Put the leaves on jewelry tree or a real tree branch. So cute and keeps people busy.

You don't have to cut out the food entirely, everyone has favorite holiday foods. Just add other things and focus on them. Enjoy a little of your most favorite dishes and send left overs home with family and friends if the event is at your house.

Lynda

For your birthday party, how about healthy turkey burgers ( with or without a bun ), sweet potatoes fries , ( homemade or storebought ), zucchini brownies or look up a diabetic or low fat cake recipe ! Dont forget the fresh fruit and raw veggies ! Happy Birthday !