Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

86% will regain the weight they lost after WLS

i would agree that EVERYONE regains SOMETHING from their lowest weight.

my nut told me that once i hit my 'goal' or lowest weight, it is very natural for the body to gain a few pounds and then 'settle in' to a spot where it is a natural weight for it.

my 'goal' according to surgeon is 125 but i remember how easy and natural it was around 135 and expect my body to settle there. hopefully!

i don't think it's that everyone regains it ALL, just that there is a natural small gain to be expected. good luck!

i would agree that EVERYONE regains SOMETHING from their lowest weight.

my nut told me that once i hit my 'goal' or lowest weight, it is very natural for the body to gain a few pounds and then 'settle in' to a spot where it is a natural weight for it.

my 'goal' according to surgeon is 125 but i remember how easy and natural it was around 135 and expect my body to settle there. hopefully!

i don't think it's that everyone regains it ALL, just that there is a natural small gain to be expected. good luck!

Not in my case...I continued to loose until there was nothing left to loose...in terms of excess fat..I bottomed out and that is where I stayed, for a few years now.

I don't expect to change, as long as my Band does not change....

I weight myself twice a day, purely out of habit...once when I first wake up, and later at the gym...my weight has not changed in years...

I do however, fluctuate within the same 5 lbs....but I would not consider that a gain or loss, just biological...

Also I hear a lot of talk about "Maintenance" for me there is no such thing. I had surgery, and because of that I had to adapt to a new lifestyle, new rules, new way of living....and it's that lifestyle that I will stick with me for the rest of my life....

If it were a diet, and I wanted to change my lifestyle, I would have to change the band....but then I would start to gain weight again....I suppose.

But for me...surgery is permanent....unlike all the yo-yo diets I've been on over the last 35 years...

Is Beer even allowed for bypass with all that carbonation??

I think it was GoWalking who said that she was always very good at losing weight, it was the maintenance part that she/we always failed at. Sounds like the same can be said for WLS only when we dieted we gained it all back and then some.

Edited by 2muchfun

My direct inspiration is my Cousin who started in the low 400's, around 420 I think. She started about 8 years ago with the lap-band lost about 100 lbs and had trouble (band was malfunctioning and causing problems) and was revised to an R and Y around 2 years ago - she is now around 200 lbs and I have to say I know she works hard but she is not a fitness addict. I take inspiration from her for sticking to it and taking action when needed. She has kept the weight off even if she isn't a small BMI yet - that equals success to me.

At least I have always been told this is what causes yoyo dieting.... We limit calories in extreme and then go back to eating normal, and with lower set metabolism we gain back the weight and then some. That is how I got here in the first place. I want to be successful this time... And I worry that a lower metabolism from very low calorie intake will set me up for failure down the road... again... :-(. Anyone know how to avoid this?

EXERCISE!!

exercise is the only way you can speed up your metabolism.

EXERCISE!! exercise is the only way you can speed up your metabolism.

Correct! Exercise helps to build muscle and muscle gets the metabolism rate up! Good and healthy food choices AND exercise. It's a combo we all can and must live with after WLS!

If she was serious, then you need to find a new nutritionist ASAP! If she believes this then you will regain due to her non-supportive false information

If she was serious, then you need to find a new nutritionist ASAP! If she believes this then you will regain due to her non-supportive false information

If she is serious why would she even work with people who want this surgery. This is major surgery and it does not sound like she is eve behind the process. Get a new NUT

Consider the conversations on this board alone... How many are willing to allow even small amounts of alcohol or other seemingly harmless behaviors back into their lives after such a life transformational event. The highest rates of recidivism includes individuals who admit to soda pop intake. Those willing to write a new book, rather than just a new chapter, are the ones who will succeed. There are of course numerous nuances and factors ;)

Edited by cryss

Most people will regain a bit of weight as others have said. I'm shooting for 20lbs below my goal weight for that very reason.

This surgery is very common at my workplace because our insurance is good. The one person I know who has gained almost all of their weight back really really doesn't stick to their diet. He is 6 years post op and eats like a regular person. His lunch the other day was regular carbonated energy drink loaded with sugar, a bag of chips, and a whole sandwich, he also blames his wife because she doesn't cook for him. I know this lifestyle will be harder the further out you get, I'm not perfect, but I know I can't and won't ever go back to eating that way.

My dietician told me last time I saw her that having wls isn't just about losing the initial weight during the beginning honeymoon phase. She said that the body continues to change every 3 or so months...and it does this as far out as 3 years post op. She said that a lot of people will initially lose more than their body wants, naturally causing the body to regain to it's set point.

What she said really put things into perspective for me..knowing now that I need to be vigilant for years to come helps me in so many ways. I fought to get this far, and each pound and each NSV is worth the years of diligence it will take to keep it all off. I'm grateful for the warning.

Everything is all about choice. We have amazing tools in our bodies yes, but we still need to make the choice with each bite we take. No one can make the healthy choices for us.

I really think that regain is just a normal part of the entire process. That said...the process, I believe doesn't end when we reach goal. It really it just beginning at that point...again, this part is just my own belief.

The stat I've heard is 80% are able to maintain "success" which in bariatric circles is to keep off 80% of their weight loss. My surgeon told me I was a WLS "success" at my 6 month appointment when for me, I wasn't near "done" yet. I hadn't quite even achieved a healthy BMI at that point and personally wanted to be in the middle of the healthy zone before I stop losing. Success by his criteria was not that I reached "goal" but that I'd lost 80% and had erased my pre-op co-morbidities achieving a healthy lifestyle. I was also told that many people gain 10-15 pounds from their lowest post op weight, which kinda jives with the metabolic reset theory. Another reason to not fear going a little lower with the understanding that it's okay to fluctuate in a particular range without going over. Bottom line is, if we go back to bad habits, (not exercising, grazing on crap all day, etc.) we can fail at this. I don't intend to let that happen!

... Bottom line is, if we go back to bad habits, (not exercising, grazing on crap all day, etc.) we can fail at this. I don't intend to let that happen!

Well said!