Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

86% will regain the weight they lost after WLS

Yes, she did say 86.something% regain their weight. I checked with my husband who was there with me. I realized you would probably gain a few pounds back when everything was said and done and that is why most people seem to want to lose 10-20 lbs more than their final goal weight - just to have some wiggle room.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies. I am just determined to make this work for me. I WILL NOT be one of the ones that gain all my weight back. I am ready to be healthier and lose this weight permanently. :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

A friend of mine had gastric bypass in 2003. He started at 450, lost 200 pounds, and has since gained back 100 pounds. He has attributed this to discovering a love for craft beers but I know he's chowing down again.

Also he mentioned that he's never really exercised and has changed from having an active job (logger ) to a desk job.

I'm committed to continuing my exercising for life and hope to continue all of my lifestyle changes for life.

He's chosen to not use his tool properly...

the stats my center gave at the orientation was 20% at 3 years post op will have regained or not lost more than 65% of their excess weight. keeping 65% of your excess weight off for 3 years is considered a success. they claim a 80% success rate.

My surgeon told me the statistics were (overall) sleevers lose and keep off 60% of their excess weight. That averages out to some people gaining it all back and some people keeping it all off, with most people somewhere in the middle. I have never heard the statistics your nutritionist quoted. I would ask her for her sources. If she has none, or they are out of date, or if they are from a sketchy website instead of a reputable medical institution, then you know what to do with her data!

This is from an older study in 2010 from the National Institute of Health, but even these statistics are far above your nutritionist's stats.

Edited by NMJG

This is from an older study in 2010 from the National Institute of Health, but even these statistics are far above your nutritionist's stats.

i wish this had a bigger sample size.

I have wondered how WLS affects metabolism long term, and due to very low calorie count in the beginning months, doers this "reset" our metabolism rate and this when we go back to 1000 -1200 calories a day, that is now way too much and ultimately causes weight regain.

At least I have always been told this is what causes yoyo dieting.... We limit calories in extreme and then go back to eating normal, and with lower set metabolism we gain back the weight and then some. That is how I got here in the first place. I want to be successful this time... And I worry that a lower metabolism from very low calorie intake will set me up for failure down the road... again... :-(. Anyone know how to avoid this?

I asked the question when I had my first NUT appointment. I was told 80% of the wls patients will gain "some" weight back. About 20lbs. He said he sees about 50 patients a week and probably sees about 4 a year who put a significant amount of weight back on.....and its always because they choose to eat foods they know full well are not on their new diet plan. You will eventually be able to eat normal foods...just less of it. So you can choose to eat candy and icecream or you can eat healthy foods. Weight gain after surgery is choice of food, not failure of the procedure. And, if you read something about insurance companies saying that wls doesn't work or is a failure, keep in mind that most insurance companies consider a 20lb gain a wls "failure". Really? A failure? In my opinion, that is insane. A severely obese patient.....say 300lbs, who reaches goal weight of 150lbs, then 2 yrs later puts 20lbs back on... how in the world is that a failure?! I guarantee you that once 300lb person would be a happy little camper to be 170lbs when its all said and done! Honestly....do not dwell on the comment/opinion of one person even if its from a doctor or nutritionist. Do your own research. Read the studies and form your own opinion. No one on this site has a doctor or nutritionist who is all knowing.

I absolutely mean all of this in the kindest way possible....typing seems to come across so harsh. I just hope that you, and anyone else on the fence, doesn't take this "failure" talk as an excuse to back out of something that can be a kick start to an amazing change in their lives.

Wether you gain some, all, or none of the weight you lose as a result of WLS is the responsibility of you, the patient.

When I had my band removed 6 months ago, the surgeon advised me to expect to gain 10 pounds. He also told me that if I made the effort to eat healthy, watch my portion sizes, and exercise, there was no reason I should not be able to maintain a healthy weight.

Today I still choose steamed veggies and not the baked potato. I don't eat bread. I still scoop up a bowl of ice cream for my husband and take a frozen Greek yogurt bar for my evening snack. I still don't drink with my meals. I can't remember the last piece of candy or cookie I had. I still exercise 4-5 days a week. The list goes on and on. But the point is that when the band came off, the healthy habits were in place.

All WLS patients have eating choices to make every day. Hopefully you have received some good guidance and education from your surgeons to redesign your relationship with food and lifestyle.

I know that it is still early for me, I am only 6 months out without my band. But I am cautiously optimistic that I will never be obese again. I have made healthier eating and exercise a priority in my life. Every day I Celebrate being able to move and enjoy life...and to date have gained 3 pounds back.

We all take a day a day at a time...and a choice at a time. Make yours healthy ones.

Edited by ♥ Sojourner ♥

I found a study...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421028/

It basically states that 60% had excellent results after 5 years, while 33% had good results. 7% a BMI of >35.

A small amount of weight gain is not the real issue. It's can you lose the weight and keep the majority of it off.

However, my nut said that of those that are successful at maintaining 80% of their weight loss 5 years later (the accepted definition of successful barbaric surgery)... over 60% track what they eat daily. You have the power to maintain the good habits the surgery helps you obtain.

And lastly... from what i've read on these forums... stick to the guidelines given by your nut and surgeon. Don't try to eat things you shouldn't. The worst thing you can do is discover your pouch doesn't have a problem with ice cream, candy or fried foods. Best to assume it will and never test it.

I will be putting my money where my mouth is on Monday. Wish me luck!

Bobby I agree 1000%. I failed miserably with the band and have done well with the sleeve. Many factors but one of them is my headspace... I was over 300 and getting under 200 was success!!! Now I am at a normal weight, size 4...but if I regain to a size 10 does that make me a fail? NO FREAKING WAY!

I see the majority here are those who have the Sleeve...and I cannot speak one way or the other how one works it wit te sleeve.

But I am a lap bander, over 3-1/2 years now, and I cannot understand how it is possible to gain weight back with the band....but it does happen.

Reading posts on this forum from banders who have gained weight back, I see 2-3 commonalities....

1) their band malfunctioned....2) They had the Fluid removed for whatever reason, 3) Their bands were never properly adjusted in the first place.

So if you want to consider ALL possibilities, then yes...I can see a high % of Banders gaining weight back. Don't know if 86% is accurate, but it can be high.

B52 - over time, people learn to eat around the band, no matter how well it's adjusted. If they're slipping back into old habits; eating a lot of slider foods, stop exercising, etc., the weight comes back. I know a few people who gained a good portion of their weight back. The band helps, but even so, most all of it starts in our brains.

I myself see a change in eating patterns at 15 months out. I really push it on days when I NEED to shove the food in. Clearly, I can't quite shove it the way I used to, but if I "choose" to go on like that for days in a row, I'll put back a pound or two. It happens. I've seen many gain substantial weight with all of the surgeries. It happens after time, when people get comfortable & slip back into old habits.

Edited by mrsto

Insurance would never cover surgery if the stats were that bad! Just a thought!

The stats have been explained already but did you know that maintaining massive weight loss without WLS has something like a 95% failure rate? That means significant regain not just a little bounce

We need to get away from all or nothing thinking. Regaining 20-30# is NOT the same as regaining 100-150.