Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australian Bandsters Chat Thread

Thanks, I will do... I have been pathetic with the Optifast thing, hope they don't turn me away at the hospital door!! I will let you know how I am doing.

I didn't have to go on optifast but was told to cut down the week before... did a bit but not as good as I could have been. I'm sure you'll be fine... good luck! :clap2: :clap2:

Hi All,

I've decided to start my own blog about my journey for a new life. Not much on there at the moment but you are welcome to drop in.

Dannasplace

Danna, well done, looks good so far and im sure once you begin your journey it will help to keep you motivated and be an inspiration to others following the same dream..

I wish it was something i did when i was first banded in 04 but i didnt and now i only have one photo of me from "those days" unfortunately after i separated from my husband he threw everything personal to me out.. Even photo albums my mum put together for my 21st from when i was born til i turned 21. It devistated me.

It will also remind you of the reasons you took the step into banding and how far you have come and the battles you have fought along the way..

Kepp up the good work and i wish you all the best for your banding date..

Shell

xx

Susannah I have tuck shop arms and a wrinkly butt. Guys really don't care... at the end of the day they want a pretty face to look at and somebody they can have an actual conversation with. You have a very pretty face from your pics and from what I can tell a genuine nice personality - you will be fine :)

Dating (and i'm super picky wanting the full package) i've found it doesn't bother guys at all. Now bare in mind my type is muscular, 6'3+, decent job, funny, laid back personality. You think that would be hard to find right? Wrong! There are lots of them single at 26-36 after finally getting rid of the bombshells they thought were what they wanted when they were younger but then came to there senses and realized there is more to life.

I thought it would be so hard to meet people - if you are confident and approachable guys WILL ask you out - I didn't believe it but it's true!

Eventually your dilemma will be how to break all the guys hearts you were talking to/dating when you find the "one" you want to take it further (bedroom) with... if he's a jerk when he sees you in the starkers put your clothes back on and leave - there are plenty of fish in the sea. I'm doubting though that if you get to that point he will care about a few stretch marks and some extra flab. At least thats my experience, or maybe I just found a really great guy. Heck I have stretch marks & scars galore and he hadn't said a damn word about any of them.

Cam you are an angel. Thank you for taking the time to tell me all that. It has made me feel better. You are very wise.

I just wanted to pop in and say a big hello to all my mates here that I know, and a big hello to all the new girls also. I wish you all only the best, you are all so brave.

Mezza i called you, but maybe you were not home. I shall try again. I hope all the Melbourne Crew can get together at some stage.

For the girls whose band slipped, did your surgeons say why it happened? Eating too much, or a too tight band? That worries me, and I want to avoid that.

Thanks

Susannah

For the girls whose band slipped, did your surgeons say why it happened? Eating too much, or a too tight band? That worries me, and I want to avoid that.

Thanks

Susannah

Hey Susannah,

RE: Band slippage... For me... I think it was a combination of both. Im an emotional eater and suffering depression doesnt help. During my stress stage of divorce and custody battles i would eat and then i got a fill, and i would still eat and then would get a fill until the band was so tight and what i was eating (not chewing correctly and just shovelling it down when i did eat) caused the hole to become blocked and the food just kept banking up and making the pouch bigger and bigger i guess. Then the pouch was swollen and enlarged creating a space that required more food to get the "full" feeling. So yeah it was a combination on both overfill and food.

But all good now and i am aware of what can happen i will ensure i am more careful next time..

Take care

Shell

Hey Susannah,

RE: Band slippage... For me... I think it was a combination of both. Im an emotional eater and suffering depression doesnt help. During my stress stage of divorce and custody battles i would eat and then i got a fill, and i would still eat and then would get a fill until the band was so tight and what i was eating (not chewing correctly and just shovelling it down when i did eat) caused the hole to become blocked and the food just kept banking up and making the pouch bigger and bigger i guess. Then the pouch was swollen and enlarged creating a space that required more food to get the "full" feeling. So yeah it was a combination on both overfill and food.

But all good now and i am aware of what can happen i will ensure i am more careful next time..

Take care

Shell

Hi Shell,

I am an Avenue girl as well. I was banded by Mr Crosthwaite.

When you were eating, were you eating a lot? Did that cause your band to slip? Was it overeating by much or just a little?

Sorry for the 21 questions!

Susannah

Danna, well done, looks good so far and im sure once you begin your journey it will help to keep you motivated and be an inspiration to others following the same dream..

I wish it was something i did when i was first banded in 04 but i didnt and now i only have one photo of me from "those days" unfortunately after i separated from my husband he threw everything personal to me out.. Even photo albums my mum put together for my 21st from when i was born til i turned 21. It devistated me.

It will also remind you of the reasons you took the step into banding and how far you have come and the battles you have fought along the way..

Kepp up the good work and i wish you all the best for your banding date..

Shell

xx

Thanks Shell,

As for your ex - I firmly believe that fate gives you back the things you do to others.

Now you will have to start albums of the new you

Danna

Hi Shell,

I am an Avenue girl as well. I was banded by Mr Crosthwaite.

When you were eating, were you eating a lot? Did that cause your band to slip? Was it overeating by much or just a little?

Sorry for the 21 questions!

Susannah

Hey Susannah, Yeah i was banded by Professor O'brien (had to take the details off my signature as it was too long) doh!! I was rebanded by Dr.Skinner at the Alfred Centre but he is an Avenue surgeon aswell and works from the bariatric centre. (he does public patients and private, Prof is private only and i no longer have private cover)

Anyhoo.. Too be honest with you in regards to your questions.. I have no idea.. I dont recall eating too much and i was that depressed and jumbled in the head i dont know what i was doing so i cant really answer your questions. It was from last year and i just remember feeling hungry all the time and getting fills. And then i started gurgling alot and couldnt keep much down.. Then i would gurgle with every mouthfull of drink.. i would go to bed and be gurgling.. and then wake up vomiting acids from my nose... not pleasant.. i just couldnt keep anything down so i went back and Anna sent me for a barium swallow wich revealed the problem..

Im glad to be on my way to betterness now with the new band but i will know that if something doesnt seem right, then it might not be and i will make sure i will get it seen to..

Anyhow..

Good one Danna... makes me think I should be doing something like that. Look forward to seeing more of your journey.

Good one Danna... makes me think I should be doing something like that. Look forward to seeing more of your journey.

Thanks Sades,

I find it a good way to calm the nerves - helps me remember why I'm doing this in the first place.

Danna

Hi Girls,

Hope you are all happy and doing well. I just wanted to pop in and ask a question of anybody that has been banded for a longer length of time. I find that I am sleeping a full night's sleep but I am still waking up exhausted and weak and shaky. It is making it hard to work. Look I have Multiple Sclerosis and it could be the disease slowly progressing or I had the thought that maybe I am not eating enough in general and enough meat also?

Has anybody with a band for a longer period experienced exhaustion like this? If so what did you do to rectify it? I could be off base and it could be my MS. I just do not know.

I would so welcome any input here as I am struggling to cope at work as I am constantly exhausted.

Thank you.

Shoshie

I've only had my band for over 5 weeks but my sleep pattern hasn't been the best which makes me exhausted. Do you have sleep apnea as well as the MS? I have sleep apnea but don't have a cpap machine. I was meant to do a follow up but I had lost my sister from cancer and wasn't in the frame of miind to spend the night in hospital, needless to say never went back. I also suffer from osteo malacia & lack of Vitamin D and sometimes am in pain which also takes a lot out of me. How far gone are with your MS? I heard that they have found a correlation between MS & lack of Vitamin D. Some days are such a struggle.

Is your blood pressure okay? If you haven't already, I would suggest a blood test to see if you have low Iron or something else which is contributing to it.

Susie, if I were you I'd contact your surgeon or even GP and get some bloodwork done. Are you still taking your Vitamins? Perhaps your diet isn't sufficiently giving the energy you need - you might need more Iron, you could be a little anemic. I know that the past couple of weeks I've not been exercising as much (the weather has been crap and work TOO busy) and I have been more tired too, funny how that works, hey? Have you made any changes, even minor to your routine recently? Changes in activity and contact with others can sometimes affect us with out really knowing.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this - I hate to think you're not well xoxox

Hi Girls,

Hope you are all happy and doing well. I just wanted to pop in and ask a question of anybody that has been banded for a longer length of time. I find that I am sleeping a full night's sleep but I am still waking up exhausted and weak and shaky. It is making it hard to work. Look I have Multiple Sclerosis and it could be the disease slowly progressing or I had the thought that maybe I am not eating enough in general and enough meat also?

Has anybody with a band for a longer period experienced exhaustion like this? If so what did you do to rectify it? I could be off base and it could be my MS. I just do not know.

I would so welcome any input here as I am struggling to cope at work as I am constantly exhausted.

Thank you.

Shoshie

I honestly have no idea what could be going on. Best to see your GP. The last time I was exhausted like that was when I had glandular fever about 10 years ago. It was shocking (I had a new baby at the time too, so the doctors put it down to that at first) I feel your pain, have no real advice, but wanted to offer a gigantic (hug).

Sam.

hi everyone i am new on here im 26 and very overweight i just have a few questions as im not sure what way to go about it , 1st is i have just taken out mbf cover in oct 07 and they say i have to wait a year to be covered , if i was to pay cash for the op would i be able to get anything back from medicare , im just not sure i can wait till oct 2008 ,and 2nd could someone oplease give me an example of what to do first, i mean i have to see a doc and then i have no idea what happens thanks os much