Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

No pre-op diet for me at all. I could not eat after midnight the day before and nothing the morning of....that was it. I am so thankful!

25 WEEK pre-op diet? What the heck?

No pre-op liquid diet here. My doctor would be happy if I stay or lost weight before surgery but if I gain the surgery would have to be rescheduled.

Chilly

I haven't cheated on my pre-op diet at all, but I've only been on it since Sunday. What I don't understand is, I'm supposed to be on all liquids, so why does the sheet I received from the doc's office say I can have cottage cheese, sugar free pudding/jello, oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits? Those don't seem like liquids to me! What I have been doing is a sugar free jello/pudding for breakfast, 2 packets of plain cream of wheat for lunch (splenda to sweeten it), a sugar free popsicle for an afternoon snack, low fat cottage cheese and sugar free applesauce for dinner, and a scoop of sugar free ice cream for an evening snack. Is this OK? Will my liver shrink eating these things? Everything I mentioned is on the approved list.

- Tam

My surgery is scheduled for the 23rd of April and the only thing my doctor required is that I drop 10lbs by my preop date of 18 April. As of today (8 April) I am done 7lbs with 3 more to go in 10 days.:frown:

Hey Tam,

What I was told is that no more than 20 Grams of Protein a day and VERY low carbs and low fat. Supposedly too much protein as well as high sugar , fat in take will prevent the liver from shrinking. It is working too hard to process the fats, carbs and proteins.They are trying to get more room around your stomach to place the band. The smaller the size of your liver, smoother the surgery goes. Hope that helps...... Thanks, Heather

My surgery is also scheduled for April 23. Tomorrow I start my pre-op diet. Lots of Protein Drinks, a few Protein Bars, some broth, sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, V8 juice for 2 weeks until surgery. Im ready to start losing weight. Tomorrow, I start!!:biggrin2:

I got my approval today...YEA!!!!!!!!! Went through the 3 meetings with flying colors. It really wasn't bad. They are all so nice at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA. I have to lose 12-15 lbs. low fat low carb diet. After 6 lbs. I make appointment with my surgeon. I have to addend 4 meetings in May. One per week. So by June 1st. I figure I will have that appointment. Then the surgery sometime after that. So the 2-4 month will be just about right.

I am so excited. Can't wait.

Thanks for the info, Heather! I started my pre-op diet Sunday and I weighed myself this morning, I'm down 7 pounds already! Woohoo:biggrin2: Only 6 more days to go!

I feel so lucky I went in for my first nut apt today and I don't have to do any sort of preop liquid diet. All I have to do is lose 10 pounds in the next four months, and I will be done Also I go to solid foods starting week 3. I am so excited about the diet requirements. I would wonder about the diet except that I am using one of the top rated surgeons in TN. They are also a center of excellance, so they are tried and true. I am just so happy right now!!!

I see my Nutritionist next week so will know more then. During my initial visit with the Nurse, she said that they want 2 weeks of low carb/hi Protein prior to surgery. This is to make the liver "floppier" so that they can easily move it out of the way during surgery. Steaks & shrimp for 2 weeks prior to surgery, I can do that.;)

Hi All,

If I would have went through my insurance, they require 24 hour-long weekly classes before being considered for bariatric surgery, and I believe they put you on Optifast while you are attending the classes. After you do all that, it isn't even guaranteed that you will be assigned a surgeon. I didn't want to wait six or more months so I am paying for it myself. My surgeon is only requiring 2 days of a clear liquid diet before the surgery and two weeks following the surgery. This includes what many have mentioned already -- the sf Jello, broth, Protein Shakes, sf popsicles, etc.

They require 40 grams of Protein every day during this period and then 60 grams of protein every day after that for life. Protein is the main focus for the future, it seems, which is good because I like most things that have protein in them. My surgery is tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous but excited too.

They also said no coffee for five weeks. Every morning I make 4 ounces of espresso and mix it with 16 ounces of nonfat or 1% milk. I only use Splenda so the only calories come from the milk. The milk will give me my 20 grams of protein for the morning. They said that the coffee is acidic and can lead to ulcers, but I don't think I can survive without my morning latte for very long!

Hi all.

This is my first post here. getting banded on 4/30 and am on my second week of pre-op diet. I am allowed 6 oz lean Protein, 1.5 servings of bread/starch,1.5 servings of veggies,1.5 servings of fruits...

I am drinking chocolate slimfast optima for Breakfast, egg drop / hot and sour / pho/ wonton Soup for lunch and a turkey (or lean ham/roast beef) sandwich with lots of lettuce and Tomato, and a few pickles for dinner.

I snack on salad with fat free dressing, sf Jello,fruit,edamame, and artichokes...

Juicy fruit gum and jolly ranchers are my only 'vice'-I have 2-3 day.

It is tough but I am sticking to it-my liver is a fatty one to start with, so I want to do the right thing.

I will have a bit of my favorite sushi this weekend before the surgery- but just a bit!:tongue_smilie: