Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

My doctor gave me a liquid diet to follow 2 weeks prior to surgery. I am to drink to 6 Glucerna weight loss drinks a day plus all of the no calorie liquid I want (i.e. Water, diet soda, broth... you get the picture:sad:). I haven't been approved yet, but I was given the diet paper before I left the office so that I am prepared.

Yes 10 days before, Liquid broth, juice, Jello for the first 5 days, then I could add Milk, pudding, Ice Cream & Strained Soup. It was so nice when I could add MILK!!! YUM...I get banded tomorrow! I can't wait to get on this journey. Good Luck to anyone else being banded tomorrow or beyond!

Yes 10 days before, Liquid broth, juice, Jello for the first 5 days, then I could add Milk, pudding, Ice Cream & Strained Soup. It was so nice when I could add MILK!!! YUM...I get banded tomorrow! I can't wait to get on this journey. Good Luck to anyone else being banded tomorrow or beyond!

Congrats! I will keep you and everyone else having their surgery tomorrow in my thoughts! You will do so awesome!:(

mine is 2 weeks....it looks like a modified slim-fast type diet.

2 shakes (either myocel or atkins) and 2 small meals per day. The meals must be lean meat and green veggies only. no fat, carbs, sugar, etc, etc.

I was only put on full liquids for the two days prior to surgery. I am paranoid about them getting in there and deciding they have to do an open surgery, so I actually put myself on a self-imposed pre-op. I did two shakes through the day, and a regular dinner. I lost weight, found out which shakes I like best, and have a much, much reduced appetite without the feeling of deprivation that I hear people suffer.

I'm only required to do Protein Drinks sf Jello, no calorie beverages and I can eat raw or cooked vegetables no salt or butter. Not too bad but I'm going to go crazy I know! After surgery I only have 1-2 days of Clear Liquids then 2-4 weeks full liquids then 4 weeks pureed then 2-4 weeks soft foods. It's going to suck cause my surgery is beginning of November-no holiday treats for me!LOL!

Carly,

Hang in there. You can do it. In fact, each doctor is different and has his/her patients follow different diets. My doctor only had me on the first day of clear liquids and then a week of soft foods and then regular foods. It sounds great but I haven't lost the amount of weight some of the other people have lost. I am happy with my loss but some would have preferred more weight by now. At your age more weight faster would be okay. At mine the skin wouldn't be so forgiving. :tt2: Good luck to you.

I've just started a 6 week Optifast diet. NOTHING but Optifast...except noncaloric flavors and splenda. It's hard as heck, but I gotta say I appreciate it. I've been working on this for a year and a half, and this next 6 weeks will show me how much strength I have in me. My doc does this also as a sort of trial. After 6 weeks of this, I am superwoman and can do anything! :biggrin: Plus, my doc has a 100% success rate, and I trust him with my life. He makes his patients jump through hoops of fire, but in the end, it's worth it for me. Besides, with losing weight before surgery, I'll be closer to my goal sooner after surgery. Already lost 8 lbs in 4 days!

I had to do 5-6 slim fast or Optifast shakes a day for 2 weeks. I could also have broth, salad greens, sf Jello, crystal lite, etc. The slim fast shakes were making me sick so I cut back on them and have been eating more greens and broth. I actually feel a lot better even though im technically eating fewer calories. Im not really all that hungry either. I started the diet on Monday, Aug 25th and have lost 6 pounds already! Crazy!

This Monday I am about to start my liquid diet, and then Friday I have my pre-op appointment. Its weird, I am having my appointment WEEKS before my surgery, but thats the only opening she had for a pre-op appointment.

So, She wants me on a skim milk diet only, no veggies, nothing but SKIM MILK, Water and CRYSTAL LIGHT! I feel like I am going to die, and to make matters worse, I am going to my high school reunion 12 days after I start this liquid diet. Does beer count on this diet.. lol kidding. I am worried about falling off the wagon. I am going to have to talk to her and see if I am even allowed to eat veggies, cause if everyone is eating around me, I might keel over right there..

yes there were 9 of us in the pre op class for Drs Smith and Ferrara. we were told if we had drank a soda that day that is was our last. we were told to do high Protein (according to our individual nutrition guidelines) lean meats, eggs, chez, etc, that we could eat all veggies except corn, peas, Beans and potatoes, nothing deep fried, no sweets, no alcohol, no bread of any sort (sliced, tortillas, Bagels, chips, etc) and at least 64 oz of Water a day but we could drink as much non carbonated, sugar free drinks that we wanted. also we could not have any fruits (juices, whole, or otherwise).

i started a week earlier because i knew we would be required to do it. i followed my dietician's instructions for high protein, no carbs and lost a total of 14 lbs in 3 weeks but i was also walking a mile 3 times a week which doesn't seem like much but i've had 3 knee surgeries (1 on the left and 3 of the right, 2 of them back to back in less than one year on the right) so for me at my weight that is a good bit of effort.

my surgery date is this tuesday oct 7th and i'm so excited!

Edited by LonghornGirl

:thumbs_up:I had my surgery on August 11th and my doctor had me on only clear liguids for the 10 days before surgery. The surgery went well but I had a problem with excessive swelling of the stomach. I was finally released on the 18th (7 days for a 2 night stay!) I had to saty on clear liquids for the next 2 weeks. Once the swelling went away, everything else progressed normally. To date I have lost about 75 pounds.

We have choices: All liquid high protien shakes or 2 high protien shakes and one low fat high protien meal in the evening. We are required to lose 10% of out total body weight prior to surgery. :)