Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

My doctor requires a diet also. I went in for my consult of March 3 and am scheduled for surgery on the 13th. I immediately started the diet. It's so sad but I felt cheated out of my last meal. I am having a hard time with the diet. I am hungry most of the day. But I've told myself if I can't do this for 10 days I shouldn't have the surgery. It is soooo Hard. I'm a stay at home mom and I am in the kitchen so much cooking for the kido's. I am just taking it one day at a time. I just can't think about tomorrow.

I was told my Doctor did not require a pre-op diet unless a patients BMI was 45 or greater. I called because I had heard so many others commenting on their pre-op diet experiences. My surgery date to get banded 3/19/08.

I am in my 3rd week of Chantix. It is covered on my prescription plan. I haven't stopped smoking yet but I have noticed a decrease in my smoking.

I'm not to happy about the psychiatric consult as I've found that a majority of the Psychiatrists I've dealt with in my job are a bunch of quacks and are only out to make a buck off of people.

My surgery is set for March 13th---one week away and I HATE THIS DIET!!!!! I hope this is the hardest part!!! I decided to do this because I can't stay on a diet and then they go and put me on one--I find that ironic at best. It has also terrified me that i want to cheat so bad on the pre-op diet what will happen after I paid all this money for the surgery --will I still be a failure?:thumbup:

My doctor has not said anything about a diet before surgery but he gave me booklet that informed me of the type of diets I will be on in the weeks after surgery. I'm sure you will be fine. I have so many other medical problems I really hope this will alleviate most of them.

My surgery is set for March 13th---one week away and I HATE THIS DIET!!!!! I hope this is the hardest part!!! I decided to do this because I can't stay on a diet and then they go and put me on one--I find that ironic at best. It has also terrified me that i want to cheat so bad on the pre-op diet what will happen after I paid all this money for the surgery --will I still be a failure?:thumbup:

Most of us have done many diets before being banded and I tried to think of every stage I went through, pre-op, post-op stages of liquids, mushies, soft etc. as one more diet.

No, most of us can't stay on diets long, that's why we're fat and need the band, but with good motivation to succeed, most of us can do six to eight weeks.

So can you just accept this, for a short time, as just another diet? That got me through.

Remember, you will have various stages of restriction after being banded and you might need this "Old" diet type of thinking to get you through.

If you follow the band rules, you'll be successful.

I was self pay, too. At 56, I tried many diets to lose weight. A few years ago it took me 10 months to lose 30 pounds and in a few months, a little over half was back. I worked back to keeping 1/2 of the thirty off and then got banded before I could gain it all back. Now I'm down thirty more from there in a little over three months! 1/3 of the time that it took me to lose the same amount before the band. And this is absolutely the first time ever I believe I can still lose and get to goal. I know I'll have to work hard later to stay at goal, even with my band. I have no delusions this will be an easy path.

And if you're younger, you'll probably lose faster than this old lady, after surgery.

Hang in there! it's one more week.

thank you! i've become a bit obsessed with writing in it...i've found it really takes my mind off the pain and helps to keep me motivated. :thumbup:

Lisa,

i tried to leave a comment on your blog but couldn't. It was very helpful though. Good luck to you.

Pre-op diet of mine seems like a breeze compared to what I have been reading here. I started today and my surgery is next Fri., 3-14. I have:

Breakfast - i serving of 2 of the following-yogurt, fruit, eggs, Cereal, toast, bagel, waffle, muffin

lunch - Protein Drink

dinner - 1 serving 4-6 oz. of any type lean meat and 1 serving of green vegetable

snack - Protein drink

Pre-op diet of mine seems like a breeze compared to what I have been reading here. I started today and my surgery is next Fri., 3-14. I have:

breakfast - i serving of 2 of the following-yogurt, fruit, eggs, cereal, toast, bagel, waffle, muffin

lunch - Protein drink

dinner - 1 serving 4-6 oz. of any type lean meat and 1 serving of green vegetable

snack - protein drink

A muffin or bagel for b'fast?? if they told me that, I would have gotten the biigest one I could find. And had a yogurt chaser! Ha-Ha.

Hi Lise!

Yes, I'm doing amazingly fine too! I am definitely sore where the port is attached, but it's feeling a bit better each day. It's only been two days, for heaven's sake! I am so exited about this process and being able to maintain my weight once its been lost. I've lost so much weight so many times, but have never been able to keep it off. I'm sleeping well enough, in between waking up and using the bathroom, that is! I took two weeks off of work for this and am very glad to have this special time to adjust before going back to the hustle of work. Your are brave to blog your progress. I decided to only tell a select few family and friends about the surgery. I just don't want everyone scrutinizing my progress, for me it's private and if you worked where I worked, you would understand! Just my boss knows, and she is very closed mouthed with all of the employees private lives. I may change my mind as time goes on about letting more people know about my lap-band surgery, we'll see! I'm going to check out your blog. Have a good evening. SS

My doc requires a diet. High Protein, low carbs for 2 weeks prior to surgery but that was all the direction I got! I thought through all the diets I've ever been on and realized I'd never done one like this, lol! So I'm doing the Atkins induction phase. Currently on day 2 and suprisingly I'm NOT hungry!! That has never happened before in my LIFE, lol!! I will be banded on the 20th and I'm somewhere between excited and nervous. Oh and I was told to have my "last supper" the night before surgery then nothing, including Water, after dinner!

Kari

haaha - brave...or nutty...one of the two! :crying: i'm a bit sad because since the surgery i've not lost any weight but it's only been 3 days and i have to keep telling myself that i am not supposed to lose weight until my first fill. i'm just impatient!!! I've been sleeping well the last 2 nights - except for my tinkle breaks...still having odd bathroom time - where i tinkle a little - stop - wait - tinkle a little more - stop - tinkle - tinkle...done...but wait - tinkle. nuts! i thought i could only take off 2 days but boy was i wrong. i ended up taking off the rest of the week and will hopefully return on monday - i'm jealous you have 2 full weeks off!!! that's great that your boss is so supportive. everyone i've told has been amazing - but if they gave me any negativity i would give them a mouthful so they wouldn't dare be anything but supportive! :teeth_smile: can you feel your port? since i still have the bandages on i can't tell if it's the bandages or the port i'm feeling and i'm too scared to push hard. fun times. :eek:

Hi Lise!

Yes, I'm doing amazingly fine too! I am definitely sore where the port is attached, but it's feeling a bit better each day. It's only been two days, for heaven's sake! I am so exited about this process and being able to maintain my weight once its been lost. I've lost so much weight so many times, but have never been able to keep it off. I'm sleeping well enough, in between waking up and using the bathroom, that is! I took two weeks off of work for this and am very glad to have this special time to adjust before going back to the hustle of work. Your are brave to blog your progress. I decided to only tell a select few family and friends about the surgery. I just don't want everyone scrutinizing my progress, for me it's private and if you worked where I worked, you would understand! Just my boss knows, and she is very closed mouthed with all of the employees private lives. I may change my mind as time goes on about letting more people know about my lap-band surgery, we'll see! I'm going to check out your blog. Have a good evening. SS

i'm really envious of some of the posts and finding some of you are able to eat real food before lapband surgery. I'm scheduled for March 18th and can hardly wait, but, this 2 weeks of Protein Drinks, liquids only, broth, sf Jello and popsicles are killing me and its only day 4 of it. must admit, i cheated a wee bit, but, headaches were killing me from not eating! Wonder if i follow one of the nicer regimens i have read if my doctor will ever know - :tea: