Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

The main purpose of losing weight before surgery is to shrink the liver.

When you are overweight, the liver is overweight and we lift the liver to put the band in. If the liver is large it makes the surgery more difficult, harder to see high up on the stomach where we're working. The first weight you lose comes right out of the liver. It is easier for the body to mobilize liver fat than the kind that makes our clothes tight.

You wouldn't believe the difference it makes in the ease of surgery when patients lose even 10 pounds before surgery.

The biggest livers are in men, diabetics and BMI>50. I tell patients to lose 10 pounds for each of these.

So for example, a female, non-diabetic, BMI<50 is an easier case as far as the liver is concerned.

There have been instances of surgeons not being able to put the band in due to the size of the liver.

Leaving a "fatty liver" for many years can actually cause cirrhosis - the same liver disease that alcoholics get.

Fatty liver can cause elevations in liver enzymes on blood tests.

Losing weight is amazingly great for your health for many reasons. It also is great for your liver.

as I begin this journey, it is very much appreciated!

Today is day 1 of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet of Opti-Fast. Surgery date is 1/17/08. I want my surgery to go as easy as possible, so following my surgeons advice is the least that I can do. It will be a blessing at the end of this journey....to finally reach my goal weight and keep the weight off.

turning 40 in April......this is my present to myself!!

BMI~37

current weight~229

goal~130

<p>I just got my surgery date!! 1/23/08 I go next Wednesday 1/9/08 for pre-testing!!! Hurrah! My insurance covers everything except for a $100 deductible...I am so happy!!!</p>

weight when started 224

weight now 213

goal weight 125

No diet or weight loss was required before my surgery. However, the day before was all Clear Liquids, plus I had to take 2 Dulcolax tabs at 10:00am the day before surgery. It worked. I expelled the remainder of that day (ewww) so I'm sure I was very clean and ready for surgery. LOL

Mine did not; just 24 hours before clear liquids and midnight before nothing. Band Date=Jan 09 I am in the home stretch now! Post-op 2 weeks liquids- 2 weeks soft food!

My Dr. wants 4 weeks of logs to show that I am commited to the new

my lifestyle. If i could I would not of been seeking his help for my obesity!

So I called today to try to sch. my date, one of the employees was so rude, desensitized to my needs; it made me cry again. I felt so bad and on display and pissed off. I called and spoke to office manager and reported her for her lack of support and compassion. I work in healthcare (Dentistry) and I understand how we become " ok, ok you have a tooth ache, yeah yeah let me see!" Well i'll go back to work tomorrow and have a better understanding of pain with my patients. It was done to me and I did not appreciate it.

Ok anyway... i need 3 more weeks of diet logs and excersise before they will sch. me. I had no idea that they needed logs faxed to them weekly.

I have my approval from the insurence. That was a nitemare.

I all wanted was the date sch for 3 weeks and then I would fax them weekly as time passes. I guess I could have lied about what I have been doing for the last month but the 5lbs i gained over the holidays would not reflect that.

i'm so upset!!!!!!!!!

:angry

My doctor does require one. He stated it is to shrink the liver. While I know this does happen I feel as if it is more for compliancy than for anything. I am anxious though as that will give me a jump start.

I am not sure of my surgery date yet but I do know I have been eating anything and everything. I feel this is because I know I will be limited very soon. My husband even stated he hadn't seen me eat this much in the past. :-(

luv10nis, it isn't simply for compliance purposes, like, to test you - it is to shrink the liver, 'cause they have to lift it up during surgery. heavier it is, more difficult/dangerous the surgery.

luv10nis, it isn't simply for compliance purposes, like, to test you - it is to shrink the liver, 'cause they have to lift it up during surgery. heavier it is, more difficult/dangerous the surgery.

Yes, I am aware of that. He stated that. However, with other doctors not requiring it it also lends itself to being for compliancy. Like my post says, I am glad he is having me do it. I need a jump start. Especially since I have been eating everything under the sun since I know I am getting it done. :)

:wink: well today i faxed 10 days of logs.. i've worked out 3 days this week and i'll be back on sunday.. I do understand , but i do know now its to shrink your liver, i just wish they would have said that in the first place.

the person who was rude called today, her tone was much better.

so i hope to hear from them early next week with a potential date for the end of the month. so that gives me over 2 more weeks of pre op diet and excerise. I do feel better that i'm working out again. my mood will be improving soon.. it already has. :tongue:

Have an approval waiting on date from surgeon..

:tongue: well today i faxed 10 days of logs.. i've worked out 3 days this week and i'll be back on sunday.. I do understand , but i do know now its to shrink your liver, i just wish they would have said that in the first place.

the person who was rude called today, her tone was much better.

so i hope to hear from them early next week with a potential date for the end of the month. so that gives me over 2 more weeks of pre op diet and excerise. I do feel better that i'm working out again. my mood will be improving soon.. it already has. :wink:

Have an approval waiting on date from surgeon..

Michelle, that is awesome. Keep us updated. :wink:

My physician required a liquid diet for a minimum of 10 days (I went 12 days), which also included 3 low-carb. Protein Drinks per day. It was difficult, but I saw the procedure performed on OR Live (I think that's the name of the site) & visualized exactly what the doctor's had to do in order to properly place the band, so I didn't have a problem w/the fast. If your liver is large and bulky they are going to have a tough time flipping that liver up and out of the way in order to reach the stomach area. Plus, once you have had the surgery you MUST have liquids for the first few weeks at least... You're better off knowing whether you can endure the fast before the band is placed!