Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

Yes. 2 weeks prior surgery I was on a liquid diet, juices, broth, Jello, and popsicles. I was to get in 30 grams of Protein also with powder or drinks. The special K protein Water packets are great and mixed powder with jello. I was banded Oct. 24 and continue on Clear Liquids where I have to dilute juices and broth with 50% water. I can still have popsicles and jello. Looking forward to cottage cheese and mashed potatoes hopefully later this week.

Yes. My surgeon put me on the Sugar Busters Diet for 2 weeks. It really wasn't that bad, I ate lean meats and vegetables and some fruits. Oh, and I could eat only whole grain breads. I lost about 16lbs on it.

I have to lose 15 pounds by next Wed. My surgery is scheduled for Nov 19. So far, I've lost about 9 and I think I will do a practice run of liquid diet for a few days. He left it up to me how to lose the weight (to shrink the liver) so I've been doing low carb/sorta Atkins diet. But I'm getting worried that I won't reach that goal and he'll cancel the surgery. But, it's nice to feel better in my clothes already!

I was advised to lose 10% (27 pounds) before surgery, to show dedication and to shrink the liver. I only lost about 10 pounds and they were happy with that.

2 days before surgery I was on a clear liquid diet and the day before I had to do a "Bowel Cleansing" (not fun).

I am on day 7 of a 21 day liquid diet of 3 Atkins shakes a day, some yogurt, broth and sugar free pops. This after 6 months of insurance required nutrition counseling where I lost over 40 lbs. I have lost another 14 or so this week.

Has anybody ever had a 21 pre-op diet?

My surgery is 11/21....yes the day before Thanksgiving

try 3 Atkins a day plus soemthing with 15 grams of carbs every 3 hours.....Ive lost almost 15 in one week...Im scheduled for 11/21

Congratulations Bob on your great weight loss. You must already feel so much better. Keep up the good work. My banding date is Dec 27th and I know I have to start my Protein liquid diet 10 days before the surgery so I'm working on eating better now and actually practicing the protein liquid diet except I'm having a meal at night, which that will have to change that to all protein very soon. The doctor didn't say how much I have to lose B4 the surgery but he said if I don't do the liquid diet for 10 days he won't operate and he said no cheating. I'm sure he'll know when he weighs me. Does it get easier every day? You've done it for a while now. I give you a lot of credit. Have a super day!

Stevie

My surgeon did not require a pre-op diet or weight loss. He only requested that I not gain.

I've actually put myself on a low carb diet and will start a Protein shakes/lean protein 2 weeks before my surgery date. I don't deal well with "cold turkey" change with my eating habits. I know myself too well. It is easier for me to make the changes to my diet now, and adjust my brainwaves now, rather than a cold change along with the stress of post-op restrictions.

I've lost approximately 20 lbs so far. Any weight loss will help make my surgery go better and it will be that much less I will have to lose overall.

Cherlita

Loveland, Colorado

379/366/200

pre-op/current/goal

10.5.07: 379 (1st Surgical appt)

10.15.07: 366 (Dietician appt)

10.31.07: Insurance approved

11.16.07: Surgeon pre-op appt (I wonder how much I've lost :nervous)

11.27.07: op date

weight.png

Thanks for the reply. Yes it gets easier. I am on day 8 of 21 and I think I will make it through. Living on protien shakes, yogurt, sugar free pops and broth. Believe or not, I actually feel full (psychological??). I do not go anywhere near the cafeteria at work. The only time I think of food is in the grocery store or driving by a restaraunt with the windows rolled down. If you go out to eat and miss it, try ordering just Soup and consuming just the liquid...its a stretch of the rules but can do wonders for sanity...I did that Sunday and it made me feel much better

Cherlita, you're doing great - I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. It's quite a challenge having to completely change our eating "habits" but it's good for us to do it gradually, a little at a time, so it becomes doable without stressing over it. I'm like you. I can't do anything cold turkey. This is a lifetime change we're making and I know with me it's going to take some time to get it right, but we will all be successful. I think this is a lifesaving group, together we help each other out. What else can we ask for? You have a great day.

Bob, It is great to hear you talk so positively being at your #8 day of your pre-op liquid diet and you are feeling good and have a handle on it. It really helps me to hear it can be done without feeling deprived, that our body gets used to it, and it gets easier. Sometimes it's difficult to imagine it, but hearing a positive statement like yours really makes it easier to start it. I know I need to stay in a positive frame of mind. I think also our body goes through the cleansing stage on the liquid diet (at the beginning that's the most painful - withdrawals) and then once the flour and sugar products are eliminated out of our system, we don't crave it anymore and it makes it easier going forward. I can't wait to get to that stage. Thank you for sharing with all of us and stay in touch, I would like to hear how you're feeling better and better as you get closer to your date.

Have a super day!

I'm getting banded in Mexico on 12/7, but I haven't heard anything about a pre-op diet. I've been eating more red meat, bread, and tortilla chips than I ever would normally b/c I won't be able to have them afterward. I'm wondering if I'm hurting myself in the long run? :phanvan

Hey all, I too have to do a 2wk preop diet. I told my doc that I did not want to pay for the opti-fast (taste, and cost). He suggested that I follow the Atkins diet to a T. I bought the book today, and I am nervous that I wont be able to lose the 10 lbs in 2 wks. I think I may just do 2 Protein Drinks, and 1 atkins meal ie: lean meat/steamed veggies.

Do yall think that maybe this will work? :help:

I am planning on buying all my groceries sat, after the support meeting at my surgeons office. I am also purchasing my post op list of stuff that I pulled off of here.

Thanks everyone.....:clap2: