Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

He (the doctor) just said liquid. So I guess its anything that is liquid at room temperature. But as I said this is for the few days just before surgery. Previous to this we were put on a modified diet. mostly Protein and veggies, very little carbs, and I don't know how much fat, but I am sure it wasn't much. I am to be banded on August 28th and we both have been doing this diet since June 15th. I have lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks and my hubby has lost 14 lbs. Good Luck to all.

I think the pre-op diet has something to do with how overweight you are to begin, and also whether or not your are insurance or self pay.

My doctor requires 3 - 3 week periods of diet.

First 3 weeks is before surgery to shrink the liver and make it easier/safer to insert the band. The target is to lose 10% of the total weight and consists of 3 Slim Fast and all the vegetables you want to eat.

Following surgery there are 3 weeks of clear moving to cloudy liquids. juice, broth, popsicles, Protein Shake, Slim Fast (High Protein), yogurt, etc.

The last three week are after the follow up visit to dietitian and surgeon. Consist of mushies, purees, cottage cheese, etc. The intent here is to allow the surgery to fully heal and prevent the band from moving or causing other problems.

Then the first fill occurs and you get to "experiment" on different foods by doing lots of chewing. Doc says to eat off of a bread plate, divide it in half with one part being Protein an the other complex carbohydrates (salad, vegetables, etc.) No more white bread, white rice, Pasta, or high glycemic foods.

My opinion is that two weeks in each phase would be sufficient, but I'm not the doc.

Just a couple more things. Instructions are to take one Multivitamin per day rest of your life - suggests children's chewable. Also, have a Protein Shake daily (I do this in am). I use the big bottle of "body force 100% whey protein" powder that you can buy at Walmart - very low price - you can even mix it with other Protein Shakes for better flavor if you find one you like. It provides significant Protein for the day.

Also have to commit to 30 minutes of activity per day (walking, swimming, biking, etc.)

The one thing that stands out in my mind is how simple these instructions have been and they are very affordable.

mine mentioned it to me said he was thinking about putting his patients on Optifast however he need to be a distributor of this first and is not as of yet. I put myself on my liquid diet. I have the high Protein slimfast with a chaser of Bene Protein that you can order from Walgreens, it just adds more protein, it has no flavor no lumps or clumps and can use it in just about anything. I eat lots of tuna, salmon and white fish with some lemon on it, SF Jello and SF applesauce and the Water oh my goodness if I sneeze just right I might just spring a huge leak. I also bought this tea for all you HEB Grocery folks out there that is where I got it and well it is made for fasting its not that super diet suff but this will help cleanse the liver and ride it of fats but 10 cups a day oh my, so I just double the tea bag. I will find out tomorrow at my pre op class about the optifast and heck isn't that stuff expensive? let me know what everyone is paying. Thank you

I'm on day 2 of my two week liquid diet before my surgery and having a really hard time. My doc is very strict about this. I'm allowed 5 packets of carnation instant Breakfast w/ Protein Powder a day. I can also have surger free popsicles, Jello, crystal light and broth. :faint: I'm not crazy about the instant breakfast but hope I'll be able to do it. The big thing that's helping me right now is that my husband is doing the preop diet with me just for support. He's a real trooper. I hope everything goes well for you all!

Oh my goodness! Now that's a SWEET husband!! He needs an extra special hug!! LOL No doubt with that kind of support, you'll do great!

I am on day 9 of my 2 week preop diet. It, of course, was very hard in the beginning....you go through the physical hunger, then the mental hunger, and now food is just not a priority-especially with the few choices I have. I have lost 12 pounds so far and surgery is July 24, so I hopefully will drop a few more. I hope I have the smallest liver in town! :whoo:

According to the nutritionist visit, I will need to be on a lowfat, carb 1000cal/day diet for two preferably three weeks prior to surgery and then a clear liquid diet for 2 full days before surgery.

I have often thought it and my husband actually said it last night....."if you can do that, then why do you need surgery?" It's a good question and I don't have an answer.

According to the nutritionist visit, I will need to be on a lowfat, carb 1000cal/day diet for two preferably three weeks prior to surgery and then a clear liquid diet for 2 full days before surgery.

I have often thought it and my husband actually said it last night....."if you can do that, then why do you need surgery?" It's a good question and I don't have an answer.

The answer for your husband is: "I can do this for a short period of time, but not long enough to lose X number of pounds!"

I did low carb for 9 months, and lost 60 pounds... I've gained it all back - 9 months of HELL for nothing... I'm done with Yo-Yo dieting...

:eek:

The answer for your husband is: "I can do this for a short period of time, but not long enough to lose X number of pounds!"

I did low carb for 9 months, and lost 60 pounds... I've gained it all back - 9 months of HELL for nothing... I'm done with Yo-Yo dieting...

:)

No kidding! I think we've all been through many years of that.....I know that was the story of my life. Finally after 5 wks post-op and 34 lbs. (Yea!!!!) this time, I feel I can finally do this...with the help from my band. I know I have to do my part and I will. Life is good again!

My hubby asked me the same thing why have surgery since your losing weight now and following what the Dr. ordered and my reply was and is well one day I might get hungry and eat and then back comes the weight. The band is our tool and it will help keeps us under control; as long as we help it. Here is a plus for me I am off work during the summer months because I work for a school district here in Texas, well I stopped in yesterday and well I got double takes and Sharon is that you? gosh you look good and your face it is so small and did you have your surgery and I said nope not until September and the reply was the say why have the surgery if your losing weight, well my job can be stressful being a school bus driver with special needs little ones and I an a stress eater so the less stress the less I would eat so now I amm learning to control then stress and control my food intake as well. If I look good now wonder what I will look like after weightloss I cannot wait.

how many times a day do you have your shakes? I will have to drink 2 per day and then I can have broiled/backed chicken breast, fish, lean turkey and some vegs and that is it I am to remain on an 80 calorie high Protein diet for 2 weeks and since I am diabetic I have to drink glucerna for weightloss for diabetics and that stuf is so thin, maybe by adding some protein power and a few ice cubes might help any suggestions? I am open. I have lost so far 22 pounds on my own and yes giving up my old lifestyle has been hard but I am doing it and that is what matters is just doing it.

Isn't the calorie or sugar content high in this product. I get confused and I am diabetic so the sugar is a no no for me I can say one thing since I lost 22 pounds on my own my fasting glucoses level is perfect. Been on slim fast high Protein for about two weeks or so now and exercsing my butt off and it shows too!