Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

i did 19 days of liquid diet pre-op. mostly it was medifast-type Protein drinks--doctored to taste decent, and one meal of lean Protein a day. with my high bmi, i lost 28 pounds.

the surgeon said my liver was in great shape for the surgery.

the post-op liquid diet is a little more varied--i can have Tomato soup!--and will be done soon.

I just went for my initial meeting. I was immediately put on a high Protein very low carb diet. No caffeine, no alcohol, no sugar, white flour, etc. It is very difficult. I get a bit angry when I see others are not forced to suffer this way. I'm soo hungry

I just went for my initial meeting. I was immediately put on a high Protein very low carb diet. No caffeine, no alcohol, no sugar, white flour, etc. It is very difficult. I get a bit angry when I see others are not forced to suffer this way. I'm soo hungry

Jaylow, once you have been on the low carb diet for about a week you will suddenly not feel so hungry anymore. Carbs increase your appetite and your body will miss them at first. I had all sorts of side effects while my body was getting used to living without carbs. Also, you can have all the meat you want. Ham, chicken, steak, pork, fish, etc. Just make sure they are lean cuts. You can also have all the green leafy veggies you want. Read labels on salad dressings. You can find some really good ones that are very low carb. Stay away from fruit for now especially bananas which are loaded with carbs. Believe me, I was a carb addict (and still am). It is still hard to live without all those things that I loved to overeat. But I am really amazed at the difference I feel now that I have gotten through withdrawal.

I have to follow a 2 week liquid diet before surgery, which is scheduled for March 28. I can chose to have 5 low carb slim fast per day or no sugar added carnation instant breakfasts. Plus I can have 8 ounces of fruit juice, 2 cups of broth, sf popsicles and no sugar, no calorie liquids. They say they diet does 3 things: shrink the liver, change our eating patterns, and jump start weight loss. I am having lap band surgery at the University of Wisconsin in Madison with Dr. Gould and Dr. Garren. After surgery is 1 day liquid then strictly pureed for 4 weeks.

My doc does require it. Today is day 2 of it for me. I am having the hardest time. I have 2 Protein Shakes a day and then a 300 calorie meal like a Lean Cuisine. They did tell me to avoid the Pasta kind. But, tonight my husband fixed chili and instead of a Lean Cuisine I ate a small bowl minus the cheese and crackers. I am having a tough time with this. My good friend Michelle had her band put on 3 weeks ago and she is doing wonderful. She did wonderful with this part also. I am just constantly thinking of food. I am going to bed soon just to forget about it. The girl scout Cookies in my garage are calling my name. :thumbup::lol:

Night all - Julie

I had a 14 day liquid diet. That is 4 Optifast shakes (800 cal total) and Water. I called to see if I can have anything else like crystal light or anything and they told me no! I can have a cup of chicken broth if absoutely necessary!! I wonder why mine is so much more strict? I only have 3 days left but it has been a mental battle. I haven't been particularly hungry physically, but the last few days I've craved nearly everything I see on tv!! Good luck to all!!

Since I went in for my consult a week ago and I have my surgery tomorrow (yes - I'm speedy) I had a week to lose 5 lbs. I've been on liquids for the past few days and have lost 3 lbs...I hope they won't turn me away tomorrow morning!

lise

WOW!!!!! How did you get your surgery date so quick? Just curious. I'm going in tomorrow, but it took a couple of months. Wish me luck. I hope you feel well soon

2 magic words: self pay! Well - that and they said I was in "great health"...if you can call being 100lbs overweight great health! But I think they meant no diabetes, sleep problems, psychological problems, etc. I'm just so happy b/c it really gave me no time to stress about anything or overthink my decision. 3.5 hours until no eating/drinking until after I'm banded!

WOW!!!!! How did you get your surgery date so quick? Just curious. I'm going in tomorrow, but it took a couple of months. Wish me luck. I hope you feel well soon

I have been to see my doctor once but I will have my last visit with a nutritionist this Friday. I am seeing the Phychiatrist on Monday 3/10/08. I'm starting to get a little nervous. I'm trying to quit smoking, too. This isn't an easy thing for me to do but I have to do something. Any advice?

Hey LiseSeattle,

We have lots in common, West Coast and all! I was about 100 lbs. overweight but have lost about 15 lbs. per requirement of the program director. I also didn't have the requisite co-morbidities, so I actually gained an additional 10 lbs. to qualify! Ridiculous, but true! As if someone 90 lbs overweight isn't miserable and a future health time-bomb waiting to happen. Anyway, I am self-pay too, (my insurance does not cover any gastric procedures) and like you I was also banded today! I'm a bit uncomfortable and will probably take some pain Rx to get comfortable enough to sleep tonight. I was the first here in Medford, Oregon to have the procedure done as an out-patient, which saved me about $1600 big ones. I had to go through the entire process or what I call "play the game" to get to today. Yea! How are you doing? I hope you are on get well track as fast as you were on getting banded! Take care. ssdown

With smoking, have you considered the prescription "Chantix"? I know it's a bit expensive, but I've met several patients (I am in dentistry) that have had great success. Talk to your MD about making sure that you are a good candidate for it. As far as the psychiatrist goes, from what I understand there are several kinds of tests given out there. I took a multiple choice 8-10 page test. Many of the questions seemed bogus to me. I think that they want to make sure that you aren't a complete psycho and have your priorities straight! I also had about a 20-30 minute interview with the psychiatrist. The only thing he said he was alarmed about me was that I was able to give up my huge Diet Coke addiction fairly easy and after two months did not miss it and was not tempted to indulge. He said he was concerned and likened me to an alcoholic that recently gave up alcohol and claimed to have no trouble staying sober. He said it was a red flag. Whatever! Good luck and keep in touch. ssdown

Wow - my banded twin!!! I'm doing amazingly well. Taking the pain RX because of some mid-section discomfort but other than that, shockingly ok! I've been keeping everything documented in my new blog (link below) which was a big step for me to be so candid online for the world to see but then again, the whole weight loss surgery is a huge step. Tell me about you - you feeling better? sleeping fine? I'm waking up every half hour but I think it's from excitement. Not from pain. Yeahhh - we did it!!!:thumbup:

Hey LiseSeattle,

I was also banded today! I'm a bit uncomfortable and will probably take some pain Rx to get comfortable enough to sleep tonight. How are you doing? I hope you are on get well track as fast as you were on getting banded! Take care. ssdown