Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is WAY harder than I thought it would be...

So not only haven't I lost any weight this week...I've actually managed to gain 4 pounds! Now I will say that I lost the 4 pounds last week due to a stomach bug but honestly to gain it ALL back?!!! And to add to it I am consumed with trying NOT to eat...I thought I'm not supposed to be hungry?!...But yet I am...and I thought that a small amount of food would fill me up--well it does but only for an hour or so and I'm back to wanting to eat again! I am fighting to stay around 800 calories and yet there are people on here saying they are having a hard time getting in 600! I've done some pretty embarrassing and down right stupid things in my life, but having my stomach removed to lose weight--only to end up still fat has got to top the charts! EPIC FAIL that I am stuck with for the rest of my life.

How long ago did you have surgery? How much have you lost since the beginning? Maybe you are in a stall.

So not only haven't I lost any weight this week...I've actually managed to gain 4 pounds! Now I will say that I lost the 4 pounds last week due to a stomach bug but honestly to gain it ALL back?!!! And to add to it I am consumed with trying NOT to eat...I thought I'm not supposed to be hungry?!...But yet I am...and I thought that a small amount of food would fill me up--well it does but only for an hour or so and I'm back to wanting to eat again! I am fighting to stay around 800 calories and yet there are people on here saying they are having a hard time getting in 600! I've done some pretty embarrassing and down right stupid things in my life, but having my stomach removed to lose weight--only to end up still fat has got to top the charts! EPIC FAIL that I am stuck with for the rest of my life.

I feel the same way. I'm hoping when I get back to work, it will be easier than sitting around the house thinking about food. I was in a stall, but thankfully I seem to be coming out of it.

There are a lot of reasons you could have gained weight, and even though it sounds crazy, you could be gaining because you're not eating enough calories. Are you following the rules? Protein first? Not drinking for 30 minutes before or after eating? Are you eating regularly? I have a hard time getting started eating in the mornings, so I still do a shake every morning. I hate it though. BUT if I don't have a shake in the morning, my entire day is thrown off, my metabolism doesn't get the kick it needs, and then I over eat at my 11 meal, and it's down hill from there. By eating small amounts all day and following the rules, I'm able to stay full all day and still lose weight. I did find myself at a point where I was basically in starvation mode because I wasn't eating enough, then I would binge (for what we CAN binge with these tiny stomachs) and I'd see the scale not doing what I needed. If you're still in the liquid phase immediately after surgery, then yes, you will probably not feel full, you'll probably feel hungry, and it can be depressing, but once you move to solids, WOW! My best piece of advice is to follow the rules you've been given by your surgeon for the stage you're in, and talk to your NUT about your gain. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the right balance and get back to losing soon! My motto is slow but steady wins the race, I'm almost a year and a half out and I'm still losing :)

Oh my. I guess y'all didn't read the many posts from newly sleeved folks stating that the first week or two was pretty much horrible. Or the part where they didn't lose the weight for 2 weeks and then it started coming off pretty steadily. The first week I was up 8 pounds but it is all inflammation and Water retention. Surgery causes your insides to swell and your body to retain Fluid. It's part of the healing process. It will get easier, you will just have to give it some time.. You will be dropping pounds and pounds any day now . Hope you feel better soon.

Well today starts week 7 for me...I had the typical stall weeks 2-3....I just know myself and I obviously lack self control or I wouldn't be overweight in the first place...the sleeve just doesn't provide me the restriction that I need (or what I thought it would provide me). If I could follow a diet and not cheat I wouldn't need to have surgery--clearly my next steps are to have my mouth sewn shut!

Oh my. I guess y'all didn't read the many posts from newly sleeved folks stating that the first week or two was pretty much horrible. Or the part where they didn't lose the weight for 2 weeks and then it started coming off pretty steadily. The first week I was up 8 pounds but it is all inflammation and Water retention. Surgery causes your insides to swell and your body to retain Fluid. It's part of the healing process. It will get easier, you will just have to give it some time.. You will be dropping pounds and pounds any day now . Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks I really needed to hear that, I'm almost 2wks post op and only lost 8lbs. My surgery weight was 242lbs. Don't know if it's because I'm not eating enough Protein shakes and drinking enough Water. .can't stand the taste of water anymore. I decided to buy zero Vitamin water so far was able to drink it all yesterday. Starting to think I will be one of the unlucky people WLS won't work for..Plus my abdomen still feel bloated all this time. Good for my post op Monday. Hope to get some answers. .feeling defeated!

Yes I am following the rules, and I am good during the day because I'm at work and don't have access to food other than my yogurt and cheese stick...but once I'm home it's a whole other story. I pick all night long...and the weekends are tough too...I have two young kids that eat all day long, which is ok for them, but not for me. And then the guilt I feel after I eat is sickening! I just can't deal with yet another weight loss failure--especially since people know that I went through surgery for this.

There are a lot of reasons you could have gained weight, and even though it sounds crazy, you could be gaining because you're not eating enough calories. Are you following the rules? Protein first? Not drinking for 30 minutes before or after eating? Are you eating regularly? I have a hard time getting started eating in the mornings, so I still do a shake every morning. I hate it though. BUT if I don't have a shake in the morning, my entire day is thrown off, my metabolism doesn't get the kick it needs, and then I over eat at my 11 meal, and it's down hill from there. By eating small amounts all day and following the rules, I'm able to stay full all day and still lose weight. I did find myself at a point where I was basically in starvation mode because I wasn't eating enough, then I would binge (for what we CAN binge with these tiny stomachs) and I'd see the scale not doing what I needed. If you're still in the liquid phase immediately after surgery, then yes, you will probably not feel full, you'll probably feel hungry, and it can be depressing, but once you move to solids, WOW! My best piece of advice is to follow the rules you've been given by your surgeon for the stage you're in, and talk to your NUT about your gain. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the right balance and get back to losing soon! My motto is slow but steady wins the race, I'm almost a year and a half out and I'm still losing :)

How long ago did you have surgery? How much have you lost since the beginning? Maybe you are in a stall.

I have lost 25 since starting the pre-op diet march 4th...15 pounds since surgery, 6 weeks ago, March 14th.

I know EXACTLY what your going through. I am the exact way. The 1st two weeks I lost 15 lbs. it was amazing. But I gained 6 lbs back... Then lost it... Then gained... Then lost. So it was like I was going no where. I am now 3 months post op, starting weight was 265 and now I'm 214. My weight has been a yoyo. I have noticed that for 2 weeks, I'll "binge" and never feel full. I would always think about food and be depressed bc I would cheat and be oblivious to the fact that I was doing harm. But then over night, I will get flu like symptom for 2 weeks then I'll drop weight QUICK due to the constant throwing up and not having an appetite then the cycle repeats. It sucks being sick to your stomach 24/7... But I pray that this will even it's self out and I will soon find a solution to this. Keep us updated! Sending prayers

How have you been the last two weeks? Any progress?

Good,luck

Well thankfully I am out of my funk! Today marks 2 months since surgery and I have lost 36 pounds including my pre-op diet so I really cannot complain. I know it would have taken me a lot longer than 2 months to lose this much weight and I continue to lose. Thanks for your encouraging words and support while I had my pity party!

Thanks for your honesty and I'm glad you are feeling better